All-New Member

Default Batman by Grant Morrison

Apart from grabbing the 3 omnibus volumes of Batman by Grant Morrison, do I need to read other Batman materials along with it?

A YouTube video says that we need to read other Batman issues along with Morrison's 3 omnibuses, to make sense of the stories.

Any idea which are those additional issues that needs to be read along with those omnibuses?

If you can find a copy of it, there was a tpb collection Batman: The Black Casebook that reprinted a lot of old Batman stories that influenced what Morrison used in his Batman stories, like the original story that introduced the "Club of Heroes" (Knight and Squire, Gaucho, Musketeer, etc.).

I suggest you know a bit a bout Ra's Al Ghul - So I would suggest reading Batman: Birth Of The Demon.

Between the first and second arc you have the crossover : The Ressurection of Ra's Al Ghul - That's not the sole reason to read "Birth of the Demon".

Between Omnibus 1 and 2 you have the disappearance of Batman due to the events of Final Crisis. To read Final Crisis, I suggest to read Sevent Solders of Victory then Final Crisis.

Since Bruce Wayne is gone, someone else must take over. This story is not by Morrison but should be read, it's Battle for the Cowl.

There's also a hommage story by all heroes to remember Bruce (beauce he's disappeared) : Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?.

And of course there is a anthology book, made by Morrison himself, that compiles all the stories that influenced his run : The Black Casebook. There is another story that influence a lot his run, it's Dark Knight, Dark City, one of my all time favorite Bat-story.

In the last Omnibus, between "Batman Inc." and "Batman Inc. New52", you have part of Peter Tomasi's run on Batman & Robin, "Born to kill", "Pearl" and "Death of the Family".

The end of Morrison's run ends up with a specific event. To know the consequences of that you have to continue Peter Tomasi's run on Batman and Robin, and conclude with Robin War and Robin, son of Batman.

That's about all I would add. The Peter Tomasi parti is very good and important.

Have fun.
    Last edited by jb681131; 12-11-2021 at 11:27 AM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    I suggest you know a bit a bout Ra's Al Ghul - So I would suggest reading Batman: Birth Of The Demon.

Between the first and second arc you have the crossover : The Ressurection of Ra's Al Ghul - That's not the sole reason to read "Birth of the Demon".

Between Omnibus 1 and 2 you have the disappearance of Batman due to the events of Final Crisis. To read Final Crisis, I suggest to read Sevent Solders of Victory then Final Crisis.

Since Bruce Wayne is gone, someone else must take over. This story is not by Morrison but should be read, it's Battle for the Cowl.

There's also a hommage story by all heroes to remember Bruce (beauce he's disappeared) : Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?.

And of course there is a anthology book, made by Morrison himself, that compiles all the stories that influenced his run : The Black Casebook. There is another story that influence a lot his run, it's Dark Knight, Dark City, one of my all time favorite Bat-story.

In the last Omnibus, between "Batman Inc." and "Batman Inc. New52", you have part of Peter Tomasi's run on Batman & Robin, "Born to kill", "Pearl" and "Death of the Family".

The end of Morrison's run ends up with a specific event. To know the consequences of that you have to continue Peter Tomasi's run on Batman and Robin, and conclude with Robin War and Robin, son of Batman.

That's about all I would add. The Peter Tomasi part is very good and important.

Have fun.
    Definitely pick up the Tomasi New 52 Batman & Robin; it's an absolute stellar run and a very important companion to Morrison's Batman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post

That's about all I would add. The Peter Tomasi parti is very good and important.

Have fun.

Counter-point - although much of the above is very good, it's not essential, and the run makes sense without it. Even the books covering "important" moments - Battle For The Cowl, Final Crisis - are covered well enough in the Morrison issues.

It all depends on if the OP is looking to get a bare-bones grounding to enjoy the Morrison run, or is just after a big ol' chunk of comics to add to their list!

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Counter-point - although much of the above is very good, it's not essential, and the run makes sense without it. Even the books covering "important" moments - Battle For The Cowl, Final Crisis - are covered well enough in the Morrison issues.

It all depends on if the OP is looking to get a bare-bones grounding to enjoy the Morrison run, or is just after a big ol' chunk of comics to add to their list!
    Final Crisis is the spine of Morrison's entire thesis for Batman; I would say that is definitely needed.

However, I don't think Battle For Cowl is not necessary at all

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post

Indeed, but I wanted him to have all the informations.
    And at the end, he'll want to know more, so he'll go for Batman & Robin by Tomasi, I'm sure of it, so I added it too.
    I would only suggest him Birth of the Demon (collected edition) and The Black Casebook and Dark Knight, Dark City.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Final Crisis is the spine of Morrison's entire thesis for Batman; I would say that is definitely needed.

However, I don't think Battle For Cowl is not necessary at all
    Never read Final Crisis, and have no desire to do so.

Anything in FC needed to be read for Morrison's Batman run seems to have been mentioned/covered in his Batman titles.
    Besides, in my opinion Darkseid is annoying and really isn't needed (or wanted) in a Batman-world.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Never read Final Crisis, and have no desire to do so.

Anything in FC needed to be read for Morrison's Batman run seems to have been mentioned/covered in his Batman titles.
    Besides, in my opinion Darkseid is annoying and really isn't needed(or wanted) in a Batman-world.
    not according to Morrison, Darkseid is the cause of everything in Bruces world

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    not according to Morrison, Darkseid is the cause of everything in Bruces world
    Y'know, I always though Batman was around and thriving well before Darkseid first appeared in a DC comic book . . .
    Hell, Batman was popular even before Grant Morrison was first conceived.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Y'know, I always though Batman was around and thriving well before Darkseid first appeared in a DC comic book . . .
    Hell, Batman was popular even before Grant Morrison was first conceived.
    ha ya got me, I meant story wise

While I have read Final Crisis I'm not sure if it is really needed. As MajorHoy said important things are mentioned in Batman's issues so I doubt that you'd really be missing much.

Astonishing Member

Is Return of Bruce Wayne collected in the Omnibuses?
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Is Return of Bruce Wayne collected in the Omnibuses?
    Yes it is.