Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Robin & Batman #1 Preview

Robin & Batman #1 Preview
    Writer: Jeff Lemire
    Artist: Dustin Nguyen

Looking great so far .

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Oh okay we're doing this Post Crisis Miller-style instead of Post Crisis yet Silver Agey Robin Year One

Wow, looks perfect! Can't wait until Tuesday!

Extraordinary Member

November gonna be the month of the robin

It was fantastic. If anyone was on the fence about it, they should pick it up.

Yeah, easy recommendation there.

Agreed, this was great. It’s exactly what I wanted from this title.

spoilers:
    I like how Lemire puts the Robin = Soldier on its head without straight up saying so. It becomes very clear that Bruce cares for Dick a lot, but he isn’t a dad (yet) and his way of thinking is simply so different from Dick’s and Dick’s parents too that there is no way their dynamic could start out as easy and smooth. They are still trying to understand each other and getting to that point of understanding is probably what this story is going to be all about.

I like that Bruce took Dick in to mentor him as a partner because that’s what Dick wants, more than that, that it's why Dick accepted Bruce taking him in. I don’t think I have ever read a story in which it was so explicitly said that Dick truly had a say in whether he wants to be Bruce’s ward or not.

Waylon being part of Haly’s is one of my oldest “I wish that were canon” headcanons and look at this, it’s happening! I can’t wait to see what Lemire does with this connection between Croc and Dick. The nature of it will surely depend on how Croc was treated while he was with the circus.

I've come to appreciate that Robin was Mary's nickname for Dick and that's why Dick chooses it as his hero moniker. It's only natural that a newly orphaned boy would find solace in a name that means safety and protection to him while it also honours the legacy of his parents. That Lemire chose to include it in his and Nguyen's story fits the somber tone of it very well.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    spoilers:
    I like that Bruce took Dick in to mentor him as a partner because that’s what Dick wants, more than that, that it's why Dick accepted Bruce taking him in. I don’t think I have ever read a story in which it was so explicitly said that Dick truly had a say in whether he wants to be Bruce’s ward or not.
    end of spoilers
    I think it's always been pretty clear that Dick was Robin, because he wants to be. It has been established, since his first story as Robin that Dick could stop when he wanted.

Yeah, this was great! I'm looking forward to him meeting the other sidekicks.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I think it's always been pretty clear that Dick was Robin, because he wants to be. It has been established, since his first story as Robin that Dick could stop when he wanted.
    That's true, which is why I wrote that I don’t think I have ever read a story in which it was so explicitly said that Dick truly had a say in whether he wants to be Bruce’s ward or not. As in, Dick decided that he wants Bruce as his legal guardian.

Astonishing Member

Really a strong start, didn't expect anything less from Lemire, though.

Astonishing Member

I did not see that natural, organic and slightly obvious connection/twist coming.

I get that this isn't strictly continuity, but it could theoretically slot in somewhere in Robin's first months if there aren't too many contradictions. But yeah, that connection. I guess it didn't occur because there's some gap between Comic and Animated approaches. On its own it's just a great story intro, great art, good characterization, and very cool textbook "Good Batman".
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

This was kind of sad. Dick trying to escape from his grief, and Bruce trying to help but lacks the mental capacity to properly do that. So he calls him soldier so he doesn't have to face that Dick is a kid, because the kid in Bruce died when his parents did, and he tries to do something sweet but it backfires cause he doesn't know how to properly do it.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-10-2021 at 01:48 AM.

This and Static were, hands down, the best things I read today. It takes some really great moments for a book to get a genuine smile out of me and this one managed to do it more than once.