Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Makkari was OK. Looked cool in the action scenes and was a likable character, but I'm not sure what to make of her being deaf. Don't really care, but I don't see the point of the Celestials making one of their Eternals deaf......
    She's deaf in the comics. It was accurate to the character. As to why the Celestials would make one deaf- maybe they worried about sonic attacks, so they designed one who that wouldn't bother.

I had a problem with the Deviants. Okay, so a few were frozen, and global warming thawed them out. I can buy that. But what I don't get- and what was never explained- was why one Deviant could suddenly siphon powers and memories from Eternals. This was a trick that Ikarus said they had never seen before. So why was this one able to do it? Also- what exactly was it's plan? I get killing the Eternals for killing the rest of its kind- but the big ass Celestial about to burst from the planet would have killed him as well. Why not have Kro (was he even named in the movie?) come to the Eternals and tell them about the Emergence, and team with them to stop it- and then try to kill them once that happened. As it was, they were just underwhelming.

Niffleheim

Was gaining self awareness accidental because of siphoning Ajak’s powers? Or were they already evolving?
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post

Makkari was OK. Looked cool in the action scenes and was a likable character, but I'm not sure what to make of her being deaf. Don't really care, but I don't see the point of the Celestials making one of their Eternals deaf......Gemma Chan as Sersi, I didn't dislike her portrayal, but also wasn't crazy about it. She looked hot, though.

The actress is deaf so the character became deaf in turn

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    She's deaf in the comics. It was accurate to the character. As to why the Celestials would make one deaf- maybe they worried about sonic attacks, so they designed one who that wouldn't bother.

I had a problem with the Deviants. Okay, so a few were frozen, and global warming thawed them out. I can buy that. But what I don't get- and what was never explained- was why one Deviant could suddenly siphon powers and memories from Eternals. This was a trick that Ikarus said they had never seen before. So why was this one able to do it? Also- what exactly was it's plan? I get killing the Eternals for killing the rest of its kind- but the big ass Celestial about to burst from the planet would have killed him as well. Why not have Kro (was he even named in the movie?) come to the Eternals and tell them about the Emergence, and team with them to stop it- and then try to kill them once that happened. As it was, they were just underwhelming.
    The deviants were created for the same purpose as the eternals. To ensure that the emergence happens. Kro would have followed through with the original plan.

Siphoning might have been part of their evolution.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The deviants were created for the same purpose as the eternals. To ensure that the emergence happens. Kro would have followed through with the original plan.

Siphoning might have been part of their evolution.

Part of the evolution? Didn’t Arishem lose control of the Deviants so how would he know that they can evolve by feeding on the Eternals?
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

I literally just got back from seeing this. While I been a casual comic book reader for many years now, I had only heard about the Externals in passing and I didn’t really know anything about the character going into this movie. Unfortunately, this movie did nothing to make me a fan of the characters. The positive thing I can say is that its a very different Marvel film and you can understand the motivations of each of the characters and their perspective on the main conflict. It was a good choice to have major conflict where one of the team turns into a semi villain. I also liked the cast and the cinematography was great.

But overall, the movie was way too long and felt like a drag. It also lacks that Marvel movie magic and sense of fun the other movies have. Like you see Shang Chi and then you watch this you will understand the disconnect. I am not saying it should have been a comedy like Ragnorok but the movie just felt dull and lifeless. Plus this movie has way to many plot holes to fit into the MCU. The main crux of the movie is that the Externals care so much about earth and the people in it they are willing to disobey a Celestial. However, the they did nothing during the events of Endgame. I know the movie gives an excuse but itÂ’s pretty flimsy.

But the two credits scenes are good. This is definitely a misfire by Marvel and one of the bottom tier movies ( in my opinion). I have no interest in watching this again. I also donÂ’t even really want a sequel. I prefer Iron Man 2,3, Thor The Dark World, and Hulk more than this.

This is like a 7/ 10

The Celestials didn't plan on the Deviants evolving. That's why they created the Eternals, who were meant to stock to the script. But sentient beings are gonna sentiate.

The power absorbing was another unexpected evolution.

Incredible Member

I liked it. As a lot of comic book readers will know it was a mix of Jack Kirby's original creation,Neil Gaiman's story about them and Earth X by Alex Ross and Jim Kreuger.

The most interesting part was the internal conflict surrounding the group.

There were some weak parts but overall would also give it a 7 out of 10.

Thought it was pretty good overall. May have had some wonky pacing, but a good balance of the big, epic themes and the human element.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I thought it was pretty good, 4/5. I had low expectations from RT, but I liked it about the same as Shang Chi though very different from the usual MCU movie. It was too slow though. The recruiting process for the eternals took too long and repetitive. Like having a scene for when each Eternal learns a certain character died. That got really tiresome. But i really liked the morally gray conflict and what it means for the mcu going forward. That being said as a standalone movie, the shared universe hurt it more than help. The references to the larger mcu were kinda forced and knowing destroying earth is pretty much off the table lowered the sense of stakes by a lot. The characters and casting was all on point, Kumail Nanjiani was the highlight for me and the best character. Hopefully the mixed reviews don't prevent a sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Hopefully the mixed reviews don't prevent a sequel.
    Seeing how they already have something planned ("The Eternals will return"), dollars to donuts we will see the Eternals again in some form. It's plausible that we won't get another Eternals movie, since it looks like it's going to suffer financially, but, at the very least, they'll probably appear in other MCU movies (like how Hulk and Black Widow were mostly Avengers characters rather than leading their own series).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Fantastic Member

Saw it and loved it
    the allusion to mythology *chef's kiss* especially thena and Gilgamesh
    I loved that it was a slower movie and that it did something diffrent.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Seeing how they already have something planned ("The Eternals will return"), dollars to donuts we will see the Eternals again in some form. It's plausible that we won't get another Eternals movie, since it looks like it's going to suffer financially, but, at the very least, they'll probably appear in other MCU movies (like how Hulk and Black Widow were mostly Avengers characters rather than leading their own series).
    Yea I don’t think this needs a dedicated sequel. I would rather have the characters make appearances on Disney plus shows or in other films as supporting characters.

Since Ikaris is compared to SuperMan by name that means Marvel is planting to seeds for a MCU and Warner Bros DC cinematic universe cross over lol. Wishful thinking I know, but this is the first time a major DC character has been mentioned in any MCU film. So it’s safe to assume that DC exists in the MCU but not as real heroes, just in comic book form.

Oh I did have one question for more experienced comic book readers. So it was confirmed that the voice Dane hears off screen when he is about to pick up the Ebony blade is actually Blade. What’s Dane’s relationship to Blade or why would Blade be looking for Dane??

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    Since Ikaris is compared to SuperMan by name that means Marvel is planting to seeds for a MCU and Warner Bros DC cinematic universe cross over lol. Wishful thinking I know, but this is the first time a major DC character has been mentioned in any MCU film. So it’s safe to assume that DC exists in the MCU but not as real heroes, just in comic book form.

Oh I did have one question for more experienced comic book readers. So it was confirmed that the voice Dane hears off screen when he is about to pick up the Ebony blade is actually Blade. What’s Dane’s relationship to Blade or why would Blade be looking for Dane??
    Eh, they've made DC references before in the MCU as well as previous Marvel movies like the Raimi Spider-Man film. I wouldn't read too much into it.

And Dane had a magic, possibly evil, sword. That's right up Blade's alley, plus their both British.