Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    The discussions of Sacred Timelines Vs the Emergence are going to be fun lol! Can the Emergence be categorized as something that should or shouldn’t supposed to have happened?
    I was rooting for the Emergence to happen. Earth can kick rocks.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I was rooting for the Emergence to happen. Earth can kick rocks.
    I was too I was ready for the Emergence of Baby Tiamut
    Last edited by Tofali; 11-07-2021 at 05:10 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    Yea I don’t think this needs a dedicated sequel. I would rather have the characters make appearances on Disney plus shows or in other films as supporting characters.
    Would like a sequel (could see the two stingers converging to make their own movie pretty well that explores the aftermath of what happened in the first film; a rescue with a more character-driven subplot r.e. the Eternals having evolved beyond their programming and what the Celestials' response will be to that).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Saw the Movie and I'm still on the fence about it. I'm equal parts loving it and hating it.

I love some of the theoretical questions they brought up int he movie. The thing about life and death and the constant exchange of energy, for something else to live something has to die. A Celestial brings life to the galaxy however for a celestial to be born an entire world must die, is that really considered evil? Is it wrong or is it a shade of Gray? OR about evolving beyond your programming. Eternals and Deviants both are in the words of Kingo...fancy robots LOL but both evolved beyond. I am curious about what the Celestials response to that will be will Arishem create another type of lifeform to combat both the Deviants and Eternals. Will the Deviants and Eternals join forces.

And of course I loved anything dealing with the Celestials. We have now seen Celestials in at least 3 marvel movies. IF we can see a Celestial and make it believable then GALACTUS better be on the way along with the Fantastic FOur. Because celestials and cosmic things is their area. I feel like this movie may have been a test to see if they can go further into the Cosmic realm.

IN the movie at the end Eros said that he was the brother to Thanos and also an Eternal does that mean both he and Thanos were robots. I believe that's a wrinkle Marvel's gonna ignore. lol.

THe parts I hated was of course anything related to Zack SNyder's Man of Steel or the old DCEU which means pretty much the whole look and feel of the movie, the flashes between past and present. The whole if you're a superman esque character you have to be evil or go rogue because absolute power corrupts. Also, Why was the color so tampered down. Marvel movies are notorious for bright and bombastic colors and sounds but this one was devoid of all of that. And then I read that article about how CHloe Zoe was inspired by Zack's Man of Steel.....it shows. It shows which is probably why the movie is so divisive...that's pretty much Zack Snyder in a nutshell either you like his movies or hate them, it feels like Chloe Zoe leaned too much into his style instead of I guess doing her own thing??? maybe? Or is this her style I can't say for sure I haven't seen much of her movies.

The cast is great but they also feel wasted. I did not spend enough time with each of them to actually care. I mean I did care a bit for Sersi but that's about it really. IF Marvel was gonna make the Celestials a threat and Eternals was the gateway to that then instead of making the Multiverse a thing and sprinkling that about they should've been sprinking Eternals in and out of the last phase. They kinda feel thrown in and are setting up the next next phase of Marvel. I mean nothing is this movie dealt with the current threat of the multiverse or sacred timeline collapsing. IT was like Marvel hit pause on that and was like hey here's this thing happening now. A celestial rising out of the earth....that's a huge world ending Avengers level ordeal and Eternals just went like ehhh..not really. We'll just freeze it. And then Arishem arriving...that's a huge deal too, but I'm guessing we won't get anything on it because in about a month we get Spider-Man No Way home which un-pauses the multi-verse thing.

I hope Marvel isn't juggling too much right because I would hate for this next phase to collapse under the weight. Stick with one world ending event. The MCU is not like the Comics.

Anyway. I would like to see a Sequel at some point, maybe with a different direction or director. But if this movie is the Man of Steel of the MCU then it's gonna be a helluva long time before we see Eternals 2 because Man of Steel 2 will never get made.

Astonishing Member

IN the movie at the end Eros said that he was the brother to Thanos and also an Eternal does that mean both he and Thanos were robots. I believe that's a wrinkle Marvel's gonna ignore. lol.
    They're really artificial life forms, but not necessarily robots.

That brings Thanos's motives back into play. He was worried about too much consumption from living beings--but if Celestials were being born and could create energy/life/space then it was really never going to be a problem. (Not that it was going to be anyway)

Or was his motives just a front to stop Celestials from being born?

Saw the movie for a second time with family today. Man I really enjoyed this film but the issues I have are big ones. It’s the first MCU film that I felt the length of. Like others said I don’t know what you could have cut though. The biggest issues was Sersi/Ikaris. They’re love story was kinda the key to everything and I didn’t care about the as a couple. Dane got 10mins of screen time and I found they’re relationship vastly more interesting. A majority of the team seemed to not like Ikaris anyway. Sprite/Sersi/Kingo(Who just loves his family) aside. Anyway the emotional core of this film with Ikaris and Sersi didn’t do much for me. The stuff that hit me in my feels was Sprite doing the illusion of her and Ajax dancing in the kitchen. Kingo’s vallets speech he gives before leaving the movie etc…

I loved that there wasn’t a clean answer to things. Like you had three sides in the end Sersi side Ikaris side and Kingos. You see the point to all of them. Save humanity , sacrifice humanity so countless more planets could be born, and Kingo Agreed with Ikaris but wasn’t willing to fight his family. You don’t know who was right. Obviously like the vallet were all biased towards saving humanity.

Lastly post credit stuff with Eros. So Thanos is a confirmed Eternal now. They have to keep the deviant gene stuff for him cause the difference between Thanos and Harry styles is well a lot. But then not helping against Thanos then makes no sense again. I guess they were pretty ignorant to what was really going on. So unless they have deviant tracking powers maybe they would have no way of knowing Thanos was a deviant. Then obviously hearing Blades voice was cool at. Watching it a second time it was way more clear that was Ali’s voice. I wonder if this means Black Knight is gonna be closely linked to the more supernatural stuff, rather then the Avengers

Incredible Member

I saw it yesterday and I really enjoyed it. Something different for a change, which felt refreshing. I especially liked that while there was a big show-down at the end, it was nog as "CGI-fest"-y as other movies (the end of Shang-Chi comes to mind )

Liked all the characters fine, but I wish they had explored some of them a bit more (like Makkari). It was like a family drama, which made their different viewpoints quite compelling. From that perspective, the deviants were actually only necessary to get the plot started, but at the end, I felt the main deviant to be superfluous. The inner conflict between the Eternals was much more interesting.

The love story between Ikaris and Sersi was handled great in my opinion, especially at the end when all falls apart and you kind of get a reverse travel through memories, ending with the first time they saw each other. People who complain about the "sex scene" when they want to take their kids should remember that this is a PG-13 movie. And maybe also be more concerned about the on-screen violence rather than an expression of love (e.g. Thena slicing a deviant into pieces). I had not heard about Phastos' relationship before the movie but I thought it was nicely done and felt very natural. It's encouraging to see that even US mainstream movies are recognising that there are many forms of family today.

There were some pacing issues but I would overall rate it among the better entries of the MCU. My main gripe is that with this director and cast, I had expected a bit more. Maybe unfairly so, as probably also Chloé Zhao has to operate within certain parameters set by the House of Mouse.

My favourite MCU movie this year is Shang-Chi, which did the family drama better (but to be fair, it also had less characters to focus on). My overall favourite movie this year is still Dune though, heads and shoulders above everything else.

Extraordinary Member

I have thought of one area where I think the film could have been majorly improved in the concept phase: the Deviants might have worked better if they were “decaying” Eternals in various types and stages of “breakdown,” with their “humanity” being revealed much later than expected.

Not only would it have better reflected the original portrayal of Deviants and Eternals in comparison to each other, but it would have allowed Kro to enter with a more established personality off the bat, and maybe even been an interesting parallel with the consequences the Eternals might face for getting off mission.

They could still remain more a convenient plot decide in function, but have much more of a dramatic impact, like Klau in Black Panther.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Outside the Deviants being pretty pointless I really liked it, especially being relatively self contained, which I think the critics are unfairly targeting alongside those typical YouTubers looking for a crack in the MCU’s armour. This definitely isn’t it and looks set to chain a series of great cosmic focused MCU movies. Very excited for MI-13 or Excalibur to be set up via Dane’s Black Knight and Mahershala’s Blade. Mandip Gill would be an awesome Fazia Hussain to hand Excalibur over to.

Mighty Member

So, is Endgame dealt with and referenced in the movie? As in maybe a flashback or expanded on why the Eternals weren't involved? Or is it still the throwaway comment from the trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    So, is Endgame dealt with and referenced in the movie? As in maybe a flashback or expanded on why the Eternals weren't involved? Or is it still the throwaway comment from the trailer?
    No it’s exactly that, Dane asks Sersi when she reveals her heritage why they didn’t deal with Thanos or any other major incident and she says they had to only get involved with human issues when it involved Deviants (which they thought they had finally sorted out in 1521). However Ajax does give the Avengers victory over Thanos and restoration of the universe’s population as the reason why she has second thoughts about the Celestial’s plan to destroy Earth via birthing a new Celestial. And then the mid credits scene reveals Starfox as Thanos’ brother and the fact he was an Eternal, something the others are genuinely surprised about. So there’s some rudimentary connections (the Blip is referred to by television as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Outside the Deviants being pretty pointless I really liked it, especially being relatively self contained, which I think the critics are unfairly targeting alongside those typical YouTubers looking for a crack in the MCU’s armour. This definitely isn’t it and looks set to chain a series of great cosmic focused MCU movies. Very excited for MI-13 or Excalibur to be set up via Dane’s Black Knight and Mahershala’s Blade. Mandip Gill would be an awesome Fazia Hussain to hand Excalibur over to.
    The Deviants weren't pointless, but they were a plot device. The reason the Eternals had to stay on Earth was to stop the evolved Deviants from killing off humanity.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I was too I was ready for the Emergence of Baby Tiamut
    Yep, I was very much "Team Ikaris" here.

So what do people think are the most interesting 'What If's' for Eternals? The Celestial just awakening is kind of boring (outside maybe getting the cosmic heroes involved with a destroyed Earth) but I think an interesting idea would be if Druig had actually controlled all the humans and their development for years, and of course the Eternals learning about Thanos earlier and getting involved with Infinity War.