Astonishing Member

Default Samara goes to Hogwarts, The Ring!

At Hogwarts, they decide to have a seminar on Muggles tech. So, they set up a VCR and a tape - surprise, it's the Ring tape.

The usual set of students and faculty are gathered. All the major kids and professors. Assume it's in middle of the series, the kids are around 15 to 16.

The tape comes on, Samara wants to do her thing.

What happens?

Dweller in the West Primetime Harder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    What happens?
    "Finite Incantatem."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Are there any ghost types that are immune to fire, ice, and gorilla marriage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    I hate you all, from chimpan a to chimpan z.
    "Doom drinks your milkshake!" -PatchMadripoor

Original join date: 6/2007

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

They forgot that muggle tech doesn't work in Hogwarts and the class is adjourned until someone gets a magical VHS player.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 11-06-2021 at 10:08 PM.

Ghosts are already a thing in that universe, so they likely have some defense against a ghost attack. Would be funny to see her interact with Moaning Myrtle.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Ghosts are already a thing in that universe, so they likely have some defense against a ghost attack. Would be funny to see her interact with Moaning Myrtle.
    One word: Peeves.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime Harder View Post
    One word: Peeves.
    Pretty much. He does whatever he wants while the best the teachers and prefects can do is threaten to tell another ghost on him.

Besides which, Samara/Sadako isn't a normal ghost. She's more akin to some kind of curse-based eldritch horror.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Samara/Sadako isn't a normal ghost. She's more akin to some kind of curse-based eldritch horror.
    Which is why I don't think the tape would get anywhere near a student without being thoroughly de-hexed. Wizards might not know a videocasette from a hole in the ground, but most of them sure know a cursed object when they see one.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Pretty much. He does whatever he wants while the best the teachers and prefects can do is threaten to tell another ghost on him.
    I thought that was mostly because they didn't want to HURT him. IIRC Moody hit him with a spell to shoo him off to the class's amusement.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

I don't see how she's going to get anybody unless they get a permanent TV and phone on the campus
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Astonishing Member

Well, it's not legit to argue that the scenario doesn't take place. My set up is that they are having a seminar and certainly have figured out how to make the tech work. Samara does emerge.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Well, it's not legit to argue that the scenario doesn't take place. My set up is that they are having a seminar and certainly have figured out how to make the tech work. Samara does emerge.
    In that case, probably Skurge and/or Depulso, and then Finite Incantatem.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime Harder View Post
    In that case, probably Skurge and/or Depulso, and then Finite Incantatem.
    With some cursory Googling.

Skurge is a cleaning spell not really relevant here at all.

Depulso is a generalised banishment spell which is effectively the opposite of Accio and has only been shown to work on physical objects rather than ghosts as I recall.

Finite Incantatem is a general counter spell to stop spells that are already in action, it's never been shown to work on a ghost. Highest level canonical use was multiple wizards using it in concert in Crimes of Grindalwald to stop Fiendfyre from breaking out and destroying Paris. It's an option but I'm not sure if a ghost is covered by general magic stoppage.

Also, it's worth noting that the Potterverse has CurseBreakers as a thing in the setting who do stuff like remove curses and stuff. By presentation, their work is apparently very dangerous and complicated so I think Sadako/Samara would be more in their wheelhouse.

My view is that the Potterverse has the capacity to deal with it they just have to buy time which is pretty possible all things considered. Each cursed person has seven days to make a copy of the tape and, critically, show it to someone else and then they get to live. With a literal week minimum before anyone is in danger, they take all afflicted people to the Ministry and have a team of CurseBreakers sort it out.

As the OPspecified Samara rather than Sadako; I assume we are not counting the wilder stuff that showed up in the books? Like, Sadako can self-resurrect by impregnating women with herself, force grow herself to adulthood in a matter of days and resurrect the dead in the same fashion. Also, the Ring Virus can be spread, not just through the tape, but also through written description as well. I think there was some stuff about artificial simulated worlds and... the Ring Virus becomes like... super cancer at some point?

Like, she is an extremely powerful curse by any metric.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    With some cursory Googling.

Skurge is a cleaning spell not really relevant here at all.

Depulso is a generalised banishment spell which is effectively the opposite of Accio and has only been shown to work on physical objects rather than ghosts as I recall.

Finite Incantatem is a general counter spell to stop spells that are already in action, it's never been shown to work on a ghost. Highest level canonical use was multiple wizards using it in concert in Crimes of Grindalwald to stop Fiendfyre from breaking out and destroying Paris. It's an option but I'm not sure if a ghost is covered by general magic stoppage.

Also, it's worth noting that the Potterverse has CurseBreakers as a thing in the setting who do stuff like remove curses and stuff. By presentation, their work is apparently very dangerous and complicated so I think Sadako/Samara would be more in their wheelhouse.

My view is that the Potterverse has the capacity to deal with it they just have to buy time which is pretty possible all things considered. Each cursed person has seven days to make a copy of the tape and, critically, show it to someone else and then they get to live. With a literal week minimum before anyone is in danger, they take all afflicted people to the Ministry and have a team of CurseBreakers sort it out.

As the OPspecified Samara rather than Sadako; I assume we are not counting the wilder stuff that showed up in the books? Like, Sadako can self-resurrect by impregnating women with herself, force grow herself to adulthood in a matter of days and resurrect the dead in the same fashion. Also, the Ring Virus can be spread, not just through the tape, but also through written description as well. I think there was some stuff about artificial simulated worlds and... the Ring Virus becomes like... super cancer at some point?

Like, she is an extremely powerful curse by any metric.
    Yeah, that's from the third novel in the series, Loop. Whose connection to The Ring is actually a surprise revelation. I don't know the exact sequence of events, but I know the reveals.

The third book in the Ring series is about a guy trying to cure the Super cancer. It also introduces a virtual reality simulation called the loop. In a twist, the main character learns that he was actually born in the virtual reality and brought outside of it to the real world. He's a reincarnation of the guy Sadako killed after crawling out of the TV. The Super Cancer is what happens when the Ring Virus is brought into the real world. The virtual reality simulation thing was put on pause for ten years because the Ring Virus was being spread worldwide and an army of Sadako were being born.

TLDR: Sadako is a digimon and Kamen Rider Ex-Aid ripped off the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Yeah, that's from the third novel in the series, Loop. Whose connection to The Ring is actually a surprise revelation. I don't know the exact sequence of events, but I know the reveals.

The third book in the Ring series is about a guy trying to cure the Super cancer. It also introduces a virtual reality simulation called the loop. In a twist, the main character learns that he was actually born in the virtual reality and brought outside of it to the real world. He's a reincarnation of the guy Sadako killed after crawling out of the TV. The Super Cancer is what happens when the Ring Virus is brought into the real world. The virtual reality simulation thing was put on pause for ten years because the Ring Virus was being spread worldwide and an army of Sadako were being born.

TLDR: Sadako is a digimon and Kamen Rider Ex-Aid ripped off the Ring