Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I really should do a respect thread for Chinmi at some point. He's a really fun character with like an acre of feats.

Trouble is locating scans of all the series. It's been running pretty consistently since 1983 but it's never taken off in the West in a way that means it gets regularly scanlated and the books are often out of print. :/
    Hmm, that's a shame. Going through a quick search of it, it seems pretty interesting. I think I'll check out what I can of it, at least.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KingofPie View Post
    Hmm, that's a shame. Going through a quick search of it, it seems pretty interesting. I think I'll check out what I can of it, at least.
    The original series "Tekken Chinmi," is weirdly the hardest to find I've found. It's been done for like the first... nine volumes on and off.

The second series "Shin Tekken Chinmi," was picked up by two scans groups with one going from the beginning and the other jumping ahead to the second major story arc for some reason. The stuff with the second story arc seemed to vanish from the internet a few years ago for some reason.

The third season "Tekken Chinmi Legends," is probably the most complete but is still not all there.

It's very good, very consistent and the art evolves quite nicely for some really clean and entertaining choreography.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post

But then, this has happened to pretty much every single 'style' out there, to some extent or another. Consequences of living in a society where people can't just walk around beating the crap out of each other to test their stuff.* ^_^ One can look back to certain periods in feudal Japan where similar stuff happened with swordsmanship, as another example, during times where the Shogun forbade dueling. Edit: Loss of realism in the teaching, but rather happily balanced out by less people dying horribly in duels, so...

* this is not a bad thing, from my perspective!
    Semi-related aside here, but the katana wasn't really the samurai's main combat weapon. They had amazing bows, and really good spears, plus extremely developed skills with both, and those were the weapons used in 99% of combat. A samurai falling back to his katana outside of a ceremonial duel was... in a bad position. This isn't to say that they weren't quite skilled with them - they were full time warriors after all - but they had weak swords made of poor steel (compared to European weapons and steel), and had pretty weak and cumbersome armor. They wanted their enemies dead long before they got into choppy choppy range.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Semi-related aside here, but the katana wasn't really the samurai's main combat weapon. They had amazing bows, and really good spears, plus extremely developed skills with both, and those were the weapons used in 99% of combat. A samurai falling back to his katana outside of a ceremonial duel was... in a bad position. This isn't to say that they weren't quite skilled with them - they were full time warriors after all - but they had weak swords made of poor steel (compared to European weapons and steel), and had pretty weak and cumbersome armor. They wanted their enemies dead long before they got into choppy choppy range.
    Some of this is true. I'm wondering why we've moved into this area, though, because I wasn't talking about 'battle'. O_o

One can look back to certain periods in feudal Japan where similar stuff happened with swordsmanship, as another example, during times where the Shogun forbade dueling. Edit: Loss of realism in the teaching, but rather happily balanced out by less people dying horribly in duels, so...
    With emphasis.

I'm specifically talking about dueling, and the business about the Shogun cracking down on duels creating a situation where schools that really didn't teach good swordsmanship flourishing. As an earlier version of what happened with a whole lot of modern martial art schools.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 11-10-2021 at 12:21 PM. Reason: The other stuff off-topic.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Some of this is true. I'm wondering why we've moved into this area, though, because I wasn't talking about 'battle'. O_o

With emphasis.

I'm specifically talking about dueling, and the business about the Shogun cracking down on duels creating a situation where schools that really didn't teach good swordsmanship flourishing. As an earlier version of what happened with a whole lot of modern martial art schools.
    Forgive me, I admitted it was somewhat digressive. :-)

I agree entirely on your analysis on modern schools and styles. If your school is training you for UFC/MMA, well, it's going to optimize on skills, techniques and tactics that are most efficient in that milieu. There are no knives or swords or kusari-gama so you don't focus on training the fighter how to face those things. You don't train a boxer how to arm bar, you don't train a golfer how to block a defensive linesman, you don't train a hockey goalkeeper how to shoot free throws OR how to perform a bujitsu interlacing cross.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

With emphasis.

Awful brave talk for someone whose nosebone is so defenseless.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Awful brave talk for someone whose nosebone is so defenseless.
    O_O

…where’s my Gundam pic?
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Like, people talk about Goku having experience when he was literally a child and are acting like the last literally 40 odd years of in-universe time of him having chi, beams, flight and teleportation as an integral part of his fighting style isn't going to be massive a culture shock for him to overcome in the ring.
    This character and race have been stated and shown to adapt to many combat situations very quickly, and he has shown to have had the fight between him as a child and his adoptive father completely memorized in his head to the point of perfectly reenacting it on hos own just before ToP, so the years in between his fights as a kid and more recent shouldn't be an issue for him to fall back into.

When it comes to something like this, DB characters, like some Marvel and DC martial artists, are kinda problematic. It's almost like using Val Amorr(albeit to a massively lesser extent for obvious reasons as Karate Kid is arguably the most "skilled" at fictional martial arts in all of fiction in terms of a CBPH pulling off super-metahuman stunts just because he is "super good at martial arts"), or other comic-book and/or manga martial artists who pull off silly metahuman like stunt in one way or another just because they are "super good" at it while still having, or are portrayed as having, relatively "normal"ish human capabilities.

For even with "normalized" stats, these characters are from a setting that involves people who can perform metahuman like feats, even without any knowledge of ki. Ranging from sub-CBPHs like early Yamcha hitting those with a special move that sends them through several thick stone pillars, to the likes of Nam and even Yajirobe who move at highspeeds and hit with with superhuman force all because they too are "super good at the martial arts", to even all the way to Super with Goku managing to absorb universe destroying impacts into his body just because he managed to position himself properly. Even Hercule and Videl perform ridiculous feats just because they are "super good" at fighting.

In the end, even with normal stats, that would just mean the DB characters would turn the other characters here into mush because they will still be performing at metalike levels just because they are "super good" at martial arts". It's difficult to use them for something like this, just like it would be difficult to include guys like Val, or Mantis, or even Batman. They are just way too full of ****
    Last edited by Cody; 11-12-2021 at 05:26 PM.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    This is just something I noticed on twitter. Not actually even sure who some of these are so I'm just throwing it out there

Just wanted to add that in.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

Just wanted to add that in.
    Now that would probably be a bit more interesting in this type of setting.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

Extraordinary Member

Is that a long haired Brock Lesnar at the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Is that a long haired Brock Lesnar at the bottom?
    From the looks of it and the sideburns and long hair, its Victor Creed, Sabertooth.

Extraordinary Member

Question: Of the people in the first pciture, who would come out on top in a battle royale situation rather than a one on one?

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Question: Of the people in the first pciture, who would come out on top in a battle royale situation rather than a one on one?
    If the situation is the same then like I detailed on the previous page, the characters who somehow manage ridiculous feats of superhuman ability just because they are really good at fictional martial arts will have an advantage.

Good thing Kenshiro isn't involved in this. Lots of heads exploding.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    If the situation is the same then like I detailed on the previous page, the characters who somehow manage ridiculous feats of superhuman ability just because they are really good at fictional martial arts will have an advantage.

Good thing Kenshiro isn't involved in this. Lots of heads exploding.
    Premise of the thread is "normal human stats,"

I would interpret skill as a stat and therefore stuff like pressure point chicanery and stuff like is out.