Incredible Member

Default Times Superheroes Took Off Their Masks and the Filmmakers Thought We Were Idiots

Check out this video, slash shameless self-plug.

Does anyone know any more examples like this? I know there's more in that season of The Flash, with that stupid helmet mask!
    Last edited by Slimybug; 11-08-2021 at 05:25 PM.

1568500.jpg
    How Bruce should look like right after taking off the mask.

I wonder how he would look with white eyes though like in the comic?

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    Check out this video, slash shameless self-plug.

Does anyone know any more examples like this? I know there's more in that season of The Flash, with that stupid helmet mask!
    Any time any character on Arrow who wore a domino mask took it off or put in on for a scene. Depending on what they did, the eye makeup would always magically disappear or reappear. Drove me absolutely crazy.

The ONLY exception to this was Katie Cassidy in her original costume, which had the domino with the wide eye holes and where she didn't wear the makeup underneath- a look I thought was really good.
    canary.jpg
    Last edited by AnakinFlair; 11-07-2021 at 09:08 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Any time any character on Arrow who wore a domino mask took it off or put in on for a scene. Depending on what they did, the eye makeup would always magically disappear or reappear. Drove me absolutely crazy.

The ONLY exception to this was Katie Cassidy in her original costume, which had the domino with the wide eye holes and where she didn't wear the makeup underneath- a look I thought was really good.
    canary.jpg
    Thanks for that info, it reminded me of the first time we see Oliver in his mask in season 2, so I re-uploaded the video with that in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    Thanks for that info, it reminded me of the first time we see Oliver in his mask in season 2, so I re-uploaded the video with that in it.
    Can I just say how much I HATED that helmet on the Flash costume that year? It looked horrible, and it made no sense when he 'pulled the cowl back'.

That being said, it never made sense when Barry pulled the cowl back. Look at him with the cowl up- you can see it has a rigid structure. It also became increasingly obvious that they never showed him pulling it on or pulling it back. It was always a cut from him beginning to pull it on, to being on completely.

I thought we had collectively realized by now that in these scenarios, the characters aren't supposed to be wearing makeup.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Retired

I have nothing against composing these kind of montages, they can be fun. I just have problems with the title, which imposes a certain interpretation on all those scenes. It's a thesis statement--that the filmmakers think their audience are idiots and therefore do these kinds of things for that reason. But there's no proof of that. There's all kinds of other reasons why filmmakers could be doing this that have nothing to do with them thinking their audience is a bunch of idiots.

I guess the title does give me an insight into what's going on in the brains of people who are so picky about these details--to the point that's all they can talk about and they can't seem to look past this kind of stuff and appreciate the movie or T.V. show. I guess if this kind of thing bugged me the way it bugs others, then I probably wouldn't be able to let it go either. But to me this is trivial stuff and therefore I imagine the filmmakers are like me--they don't get bogged down in over-thinking these things and they have a different end in mind.

I'd hate to live in a world where filmmakers were so focused on this kind of minutiae that they were hyper-obsessed with it and couldn't break out of that box.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I have nothing against composing these kind of montages, they can be fun. I just have problems with the title, which imposes a certain interpretation on all those scenes. It's a thesis statement--that the filmmakers think their audience are idiots and therefore do these kinds of things for that reason. But there's no proof of that. There's all kinds of other reasons why filmmakers could be doing this that have nothing to do with them thinking their audience is a bunch of idiots.

I guess the title does give me an insight into what's going on in the brains of people who are so picky about these details--to the point that's all they can talk about and they can't seem to look past this kind of stuff and appreciate the movie or T.V. show. I guess if this kind of thing bugged me the way it bugs others, then I probably wouldn't be able to let it go either. But to me this is trivial stuff and therefore I imagine the filmmakers are like me--they don't get bogged down in over-thinking these things and they have a different end in mind.

I'd hate to live in a world where filmmakers were so focused on this kind of minutiae that they were hyper-obsessed with it and couldn't break out of that box.
    I think this is what the kids are calling a "clickbait title". If a video has one, in general, it's going to be a complete waste of your time.