Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Default The Teriffics: better than the Fantastic 4??

I was wondering what DC & Marvel fans thought of the Terriffics, do you think they were better than Marvel's Fantastic 4? Also, should the Terrific have been more issues?
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

I would say I enjoyed the Terrifics more than anything I've read of the Fantastic Four recently, but I don't think you can really say they as a property was better than the Fantastic Four because of how fundamental the Fantastic Four have been to comic book history. I don't think Terrifics hit high enough highs to eclipse that. do I necessarily feel that series needed more issue? iunno. I'm pretty against ongoing going on indefinitely (it's a weird model to me) but I definitely wish The Terrifics stuck around has a team; a couple more seasons of The Terrifics as a series or a couple limited series for them after their first book would've been great.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 11-07-2021 at 10:00 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

More issues? Absolutely! Such a fun book and a great idea.

Better? That's a weird, subjective question.

The Fantastic Four were the first family for a reason. They get credit for being one of the founding superhero families of modern comics. Jack Kirby and Stan Lee's comics helped define many other comic stories in the years to come. So you can't dismiss that. There were multiple Fantastic Four movies and cartoon series long before the Terrifics ever assembled. It's been several years since I've cared for a Fantastic Four story, but we'd be remiss to overlook the impact the Fantastic Four has had on Superhero comics.

If you're asking about this particular moment in time, I'll take the Terrifics. This team felt fresh and honestly more Fantastic Fourey than the original squad had felt in a while. However, the Terrifics isn't just a carbon copy. The team genuinely has a good origin story (which is rare). Its members are fun and full of personality. I think every hero benefits from the title, and the adventures were simply a breath of fresh air.

So it depends who you ask. No one can overlook the iconic Fantastic Four stories and their significance. If we are talking about the last three years, I'll take the Terrifics. All-time, it's hard not to go with the OG team with a 60+ year headstart in comics and multi-media.

I still love the Thing, and Johnny is pretty much the same character. I don't love where MArvel sometimes takes the Reed and Sue relationship. Furthermore, I haven't always loved Reed's actions the last few years of the 616 Universe. Moreover, some of Reed's decisions in recent years are highly questionable. The Terrifics don't have any equivalent baggage (at least not yet).
    The J-man

They're both fun comics. I think whether you enjoy one over the other depends a lot on personal taste or what characters you're into.

Different flavors, but both good.

I would like to see the series continue because it's good for DC to have more team books other than the League.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Love ‘em and wish DC had kept pushing the book, but they don’t have anything on the scale of the great F4 runs. DC definitely should have kept them around and let writers keep writing them however.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

It was a fun book but as Jabare put it, 4F have more baggage. I hope we would see more of the team in future iterations and events.
    But still, I felt frustrated because we never had the chance to see the debut of the new Terrifics: the team of Damage, Brimstone, Sideways and Lobo, which could had been really interesting to see.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Have they appeared anywhere after the series concluded?

As for the question, I haven't finished reading it yet (second half of last trade left), but I feel like none of the storylines reached that "must read" level and artists changing every second issue during Lemire's run didn't help either. So to me it feels like average FF run. Better than what Marvel is publishing right now? Maybe, but it definitely does not reach the highs that FF had at various points of its long history.

Still haven't read The Terrifics.

Quick search looks like only tpb? No hard cover(s)?

I was never huge on the FF, but I loved Terrifics, so I'd definitely say DC should've given the team more effort, and invested deeper in them, given them a little longer to find their audience.

But bigger than the FF? No way. The FF hold their lofty position in comics history for a reason. You might as well ask when someone is going to become a bigger name than Batman or Superman or Spider-Man.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    ^^^agreed.

I would like to see the series continue because it's good for DC to have more team books other than the League.
    ^^^Absolutely.
    If the book had been called Justice League Terrific it’d still be going.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

While I wouldn't say they are better than the Fantastic Four, it definitely was one of the most fun DC books of the time and a book I truly truly miss! I love that DC did give it a good fighting chance, but I also wish they would have tried different creative team, rather than one to just wrap things up as it seemed. I loved that in the last couple of issues there was a huge team created of some of the greatest brains in the DCU. I know it wont happen, but I do wish DC would give this book another round.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Have they appeared anywhere after the series concluded?

As for the question, I haven't finished reading it yet (second half of last trade left), but I feel like none of the storylines reached that "must read" level and artists changing every second issue during Lemire's run didn't help either. So to me it feels like average FF run. Better than what Marvel is publishing right now? Maybe, but it definitely does not reach the highs that FF had at various points of its long history.
    Mister Terrific appears in The Flash, he's Wally's employer.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

I do think FF got itself into a few inescapable cul de sacs that spoilt the spirit of the book as time went on so the idea of getting back to basics with terrifics was a very good concept - it might just need a bit of retooling and a relaunch to capture people's imagination.

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

True and I think both books were a great contrast from the League and the X
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse