Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

One of the best things about the New Age line was that, at the time, Marvel had gone off the rails a bit with many of their top end properties; the FF were missing, I believe, tons of legacy characters had taken over major mantles, etc. And a lot of Marvel fans weren't terribly happy about it.

So DC offered them an alternative. They couldn't make the classic FF, but they gave us the Terrifics, which was spiritually very much along those same lines but still uniquely DC enough to feel like a viable part of the universe. And a lot of those New Age books had really strong hooks, well developed characters and plots, offered something DC often doesn't, and offered something Marvel usually did but wasn't right then.

The New Age line was never going to survive long simply because they were mostly new characters, but Marvel ended up bringing back a lot of the characters the line was remixing and that, I believe, cut New Age's lifespan in half.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

I love the concept. I hated the wackiness of some of the stories but overall... it was amazing. Its hard for them to be what the FF are in the Dc Universe.

I really wish they had a few character changes throughout. I could have gone with almost anyone over the phantom girl they went with but, its a small matter.

When they come out with the next line I'd 100% give it another chance.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    The New Age line was never going to survive long simply because they were mostly new characters, but Marvel ended up bringing back a lot of the characters the line was remixing and that, I believe, cut New Age's lifespan in half.
    It sure didn't help that this was advertised as artists driven line of books and many of the advertised artists jumped the ship after couple of issues. Reis did only one and a half issues before leaving.

Yeah that didn't help either.

The launch itself was well constructed; launching off a big Event, big name talent, obvious Marvel proxies that could attract Marvel fans as well as fill in a few "empty" niches in DC. Lot of good stuff in there.

But the talent leaving so quickly looked bad, even if they had already done the leg work of hashing out the concepts and characters. None of the new characters showed up much beyond their own titles; a cameo here or there, but nothing truly substantial that could have gotten fans to try the new books.

Like many of the things that happened under Didio, the idea was better than the execution, there was little dedication to pushing the initiative and DC pulled out as soon as sales trembled. It's a shame; the 2010's introduced a lot of really fun new characters, from Aquaman's Others and Starling to Sideways and Silencer. I wish these characters would get a second chance, many of them deserve it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.