Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Sorta, AvX undid the whole "Mutants aren't born anymore" thing.
    Ah, alright, thought Phoenix had restored most powers, or at least, a few of them.

But Hickman gave the powers back to many of then.
    Riiight, via the fucking Crucible, man, I was already thinking that the whole Krakoa nonsense needed the characters to be annoyingly out of character for it to happen, and I don't even know X-Men that much, then the fucking Crucible happens, neither Cyke or Kurt give a **** about Apocalypse doing fatalities, and I'm just wondering "Am I supposed to cheer for these fuckers?".

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Riiight, via the fucking Crucible, man, I was already thinking that the whole Krakoa nonsense needed the characters to be annoyingly out of character for it to happen, and I don't even know X-Men that much, then the fucking Crucible happens, neither Cyke or Kurt give a **** about Apocalypse doing fatalities, and I'm just wondering "Am I supposed to cheer for these fuckers?".
    On god, it was weird enough before but they justified it w/ "there's no other way".But the crucible is blatant painful murder for what they call their birthright, they criticize humans for taking it away and yet will only give it back after mutants have been put through a horrific death.Keep in mind it's not just X-men or people who fight like Gurthie, normal peaceful people like Lost get stabbed by Magneto to get a chance to be comfortable in their own body.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Ah, alright, thought Phoenix had restored most powers, or at least, a few of them.

Well, Hickman pretty much said that heroes like Doctor Strange, Mr Fantastic and Black Panther first choice with the incurssions would be seriously considering genocide as the first choice, so part of the course really lol.

Bringing this back to something related woth Zardasky, i finished Life Story and yup there really wasn't much to like after issue one, i honestly stopped taking the plot seriously after the second issue revealed thay Otto and May got married and how relevant that plot point was, i do like other parts of the series, like Norman's death wich feel pretty fitting for his characther, Miles having thw actual reaction that Peter should hava had when the Superior storyline happened and some nice scenes in the final issues. Outside of that, is either some random changes that either make no sense like Kraven's whole motivation ( his motivation was also bananas in K:LH, but at least you could understand his twisted logic as stupid as it was) to just really random and too underdevolped for me to care. Bagley did a great job thought, overall, not my cup of tea, but i guest that i appreciate the experiment.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    On god, it was weird enough before but they justified it w/ "there's no other way".But the crucible is blatant painful murder for what they call their birthright, they criticize humans for taking it away and yet will only give it back after mutants have been put through a horrific death.Keep in mind it's not just X-men or people who fight like Gurthie, normal peaceful people like Lost get stabbed by Magneto to get a chance to be comfortable in their own body.
    It's even more ridiculous if you remember that it was someone else who forcefully removed their powers.

Like, if the mutants had removed their powers, but then regretted it, then I could understand the Crucible being used to test if they really want to have their powers back, and don't get me wrong, it would still be disgustingly barbaric to even suggest something like this, but at the very least we could have the point of "If you want the powers you removed back, you have to fight for it".

But no, it's not anything like that, those mutants had their powers removed by someone else, they just want what was stolen from them back, and they have to suffer, essentially be punished, for what someone else did to them, Krakoa is shady and culty enough as is, we don't need something like Crucible to push the idea that they're not good guys.

As for not having another way, obviously bullshit, considering the resurrection cycle is good enough to even give Wolverine Adamantium on his bones back, even though that makes no sense, so if they can't restore the powers for someone who's alive for some reason, at least give them a quick, painless death, not a glorified torture.

It's actually funny how Way of X#1 tried to fix the characterization issue, with Kurt now sounding disgusted at it (As he should have been since the beginning), but then made the Crucible a bit worse since Lost didn't seem to want to keep fighting, yet Magneto kept attacking lol.

Well, Hickman pretty much said that heroes like Doctor Strange, Mr Fantastic and Black Panther first choice with the incurssions would be seriously considering genocide as the first choice, so part of the course really lol.
    Didn't Reed get cold feet and decided to not go for it and decided to not tell his family that they were all about to die?

Bringing this back to something related woth Zardasky, i finished Life Story and yup there really wasn't much to like after issue one, i honestly stopped taking the plot seriously after the second issue revealed thay Otto and May got married and how relevant that plot point was, i do like other parts of the series, like Norman's death wich feel pretty fitting for his characther, Miles having thw actual reaction that Peter should hava had when the Superior storyline happened and some nice scenes in the final issues. Outside of that, is either some random changes that either make no sense like Kraven's whole motivation ( his motivation was also bananas in K:LH, but at least you could understand his twisted logic as stupid as it was) to just really random and too underdevolped for me to care. Bagley did a great job thought, overall, not my cup of tea, but i guest that i appreciate the experiment.
    Yeah, the idea of Life Story is really good, but one issue to represent an entire decade just doesn't work for the later stuff, 60's issue works because it basically takes place after Ditko's run and has less plot points going on, so the characters get properly developed, and 70's issue is just an alternate version of the original clone saga (Though we do have the silliness of Otto marrying aunt May), but after that, it was too much at once, 80's issue had part of Secret Wars, plus Spidey having the symbiote, plus KLH, it's too much for one issue, and it stays that way until the end.

I also didn't like how Peter became such a manipulative ******* over time, like him being a bit of an ass for super-heroing for so long, that's fine, but him using Ben like that in the 90's issue just so he can live a quiet life, eehhh...

It's actually funny that in a story about Spider-Man aging in real time, my favorite character was Cap, and generally I don't even care much about him, but him thinking about wars, going to Vietnam and deciding he doesn't want people from either side to die pointlessly and try to save them, that's awesome.

Though you can say it's out of character for Cap at the time, he was little more than a government puppet before he started to go for "I'm loyal to nothing except the dream", but hey, he's not the only one, both him and Spidey are having a modern mentality about Vietnam war in this, Spidey definitely didn't think about the war much back then (There's a throwaway line about it, I think he considers going, but decides against it), and honestly, worked for the better, really like the scenes about Peter thinking about this.

Also, there's a Fantastic Four: Life Story, it sucks, it has the nice idea of spoilers:
    making Reed learn about Galactus and preparing himself for his arrival, which takes decades, but it's a boringly decompressed story where nothing much happens, it actually made me appreciate SM:LS, stuff was at least happening there, even if it was too much.
    end of spoilers

Life Story is kind of interesting on a pure, kind of random, plot level as it jumps from time period to time period and tries to incorporate stuff from those time periods but the time jumps and randomness kind of hurt it from a narrative cohesiveness standpoint.

Also, yeah, Peter kind of came off really bad as the series went on.

Extraordinary Member

Man f*ck eitors, Chip mentions how editors were about to scrap the best modern Spidey scene in recent history.

Man f*ck eitors, Chip mentions how editors were about to scrap the best modern Spidey scene in recent history.
    interesting interview and yes editors do more harm than good. i really do wanna see how he is making Fisk this big villain
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

I wonder if Zdarsky talking about people having a lot of specific takes on Spider-Man in the Reddit AMA was Zdarsky's covert away of attacking Marvel editors. By making it general and seeming to make it about fans, he can couch his criticism by making it about fan expectations and so on.

To be fair, talking about the basic idea of Daredevil#5 vol 6, it can look wrong for Spidey to look like an *******, even if he had good intentions when doing so, and Editors changed their minds once they actually got to see it.

But then again, who knows lol.

Interesting he mentions World War Hulk as an organic event, and while I didn't read Planet Hulk, there was a good vibe about WWH which made it an enjoyable read from beginning to end, hope Devil's Reign is like that too.

Mighty Member

I’ve been telling People for months that Chip has no interest in writing amazing, I’ve known this since an interview he did with comicpop.

I will say however, I look forward seeing what he does post daredevil. I should really pick up the trades to that run…

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I wonder if Zdarsky talking about people having a lot of specific takes on Spider-Man in the Reddit AMA was Zdarsky's covert away of attacking Marvel editors. By making it general and seeming to make it about fans, he can couch his criticism by making it about fan expectations and so on.
    He specifically said "readership".