Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Wonder Woman vs Storm

I came across this CBR article and I of course immediately scrolled down to the Wonder Woman vs Storm fight. Is this "lifelong comic book fan" serious?

By the time Wonder Woman fought Storm, she had picked up Mjolnir and acquired its abilities, but she gave them up to give Storm a fair fight. It was a bad decision to give up such an advantage, especially the only one that would have assured her victory. Storm overpowered Wonder Woman, blasting her with lightning bolts until she dropped. The fans decided this battle correctly, especially as it was later revealed that Storm could lift Mjolnir as well, which would have equalized the only advantage Wonder Woman had against Storm.

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-vs-dc-superhero-battles/

Was the version of Wonder Woman at this time extremely weakened? Am I missing something? As much as I love Storm, a fight between these two would be wildly unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by fong03 View Post
    I came across this CBR article and I of course immediately scrolled down to the Wonder Woman vs Storm fight. Is this "lifelong comic book fan" serious?

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-vs-dc-superhero-battles/

Was the version of Wonder Woman at this time extremely weakened? Am I missing something? As much as I love Storm, a fight between these two would be wildly unfair.
    I believe that was a fan vote, and Storm was more popular at the time.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

This came out right smack dab in the middle of Byrnes run so its not to surprising

The only non-god, non-primal-cosmic being characters from Marvel who can give Diana a run for her money in terms of physical strength are Hulk, Thor, and She-Hulk. And overall, Diana has other gifts that can still give her the advantage over those three.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    This came out right smack dab in the middle of Byrnes run so its not to surprising
    Yeah, this was also at zenith of X-Men's popularity and you can see it in the other results with (no-Adamantium at the time) Wolverine somehow beating Lobo.

I imagine if it were to happen nowadays Diana would probably be up against someone else like Carol Danvers or Thor.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I love Storm and all, but that is some serious garbage right there.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I believe that was a fan vote, and Storm was more popular at the time.
    I know the results in the comic were based on fan votes. The article goes on to say that fans got it "right" and that Diana is outmatched against storm, which is ridiculous.

Love Storm but Diana would body her or Carol.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    Love Storm but Diana would body her or Carol.
    It's canon because they actually printed and wrote the fight with full editorial control between the two companies.

They disrespect Wonder Woman all the time, so even the fan vote, although I didn't like it, is telling how people view our heroine.

Just like it is canon that Superman curb stomped the entire Justice League in their movie. Tell TBS or TNT to stop showing these movies, and maybe people will start forgetting the poor treatment Wondy typically gets.

As far as Carol Danvers, she is uber powerful in the Marvel Universe so I wouldn't give Wondy much of a chance against her. Hell, it took 4 movies before we learned she could fly (could be gliding, kind of left it ambiguous at that), but Carol figured out the flight thing right away!

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    It's canon because they actually printed and wrote the fight with full editorial control between the two companies.

They disrespect Wonder Woman all the time, so even the fan vote, although I didn't like it, is telling how people view our heroine.

Just like it is canon that Superman curb stomped the entire Justice League in their movie. Tell TBS or TNT to stop showing these movies, and maybe people will start forgetting the poor treatment Wondy typically gets.

As far as Carol Danvers, she is uber powerful in the Marvel Universe so I wouldn't give Wondy much of a chance against her. Hell, it took 4 movies before we learned she could fly (could be gliding, kind of left it ambiguous at that), but Carol figured out the flight thing right away!
    Fan votes are just tha fan votes. WW was not going to win a popularity contest against storm in the middle of the x-men popularity peak. It is the same reason why wolverine beat Lobo.

But yes, it doesn't change the fact that DC has been treating WW like garbage for a long time. And Carol Danvers is growing in power. Her MCU version is already is far above DCEU Diana in terms of power. So it's just a matter of time until she surpasses WW in the comics too.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Fan votes are just tha fan votes. WW was not going to win a popularity contest against storm in the middle of the x-men popularity peak. It is the same reason why wolverine beat Lobo.

But yes, it doesn't change the fact that DC has been treating WW like garbage for a long time. And Carol Danvers is growing in power. Her MCU version is already is far above DCEU Diana in terms of power. So it's just a matter of time until she surpasses WW in the comics too.
    Again, just to focus the conversation, I'll repeat that I posted the article not to talk about the fan vote (that is nothing more than a popularity contest), but the fact that the CBR writer believes that WW actually couldn't beat Storm.

Let's not act like Carol Danvers' power level in the MCU is a good thing. I mean, it might eventually be a good thing, but I thought the decision to make her that powerful before the Infinity saga ended almost disrupted the buildup for Thanos as the "Genghis Khan" of the MCU, or whatever Feige called him.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Let's not act like Carol Danvers' power level in the MCU is a good thing. I mean, it might eventually be a good thing, but I thought the decision to make her that powerful before the Infinity saga ended almost disrupted the buildup for Thanos as the "Genghis Khan" of the MCU, or whatever Feige called him.
    We don't need to act. Because it is a good thing. At least one girl is getting proper powerhouse treatment. If Diana doesn't get respect as a powerhouse anymore, at least somebody else does.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    We don't need to act. Because it is a good thing. At least one girl is getting proper powerhouse treatment. If Diana doesn't get respect as a powerhouse anymore, at least somebody else does.
    Fair enough, but I think they should've waited until after Thanos was defeated.

Quote Originally Posted by fong03 View Post
    Again, just to focus the conversation, I'll repeat that I posted the article not to talk about the fan vote (that is nothing more than a popularity contest), but the fact that the CBR writer believes that WW actually couldn't beat Storm.
    So, the writer has an opinion & we all pretty much disagree with him or her. What else is there to say?

Also, CBR is mostly garbage & to refer tot his as an “article” is being extremely generous.