Default I AM BATMAN #3 spoilers and discussion

Well its time to continue Jace's Seer story as he continues his beginning adventures as Batman, of course with becoming Batman Jace begins to experience issues that Bruce probably didn't have as a rich billionaire. That being that he's showing up late for work, and since he's working for his father Lucius of course Lucius goes into angry disappointed dad mode. But Jace can't worry about his dad because he has to worry about his mom, who has become the pro bono attorney to the kid who killed Anarky last issue....at the worst possible time because that armed militia "the Moral Authority" are storming the place the kids hold up at. Which is really bad because the kids hold up at a juvie who are not armed for this situation with our two main police officers of this series (Chubb and Whitaker) are left as one of the few line of defenses.

Once Vol informs Jace that his mother might be there its no longer "let the other bats handle it" its "get my new motorcycle ready". Its a pretty bad shoot out before Jace gets there though, these Authority guys do not play around and are shooting people who try to go for help. Unfortunately there are so many militia that even with Jace showing up people are still getting wounded, including Whitaker. What no one saw coming though, although maybe you would have if you read Future State, is that Mrs. Fox is packing heat and kills the one guy who gets in. Actually its funny that once Jace gets inside, because he manages to stop the leader and help the police, that he talks his mother down from shooting him while also foreshadow what happened in his future state mini (him being forced to attack his mom so she doesn't kill him). So Jace manages to save the day but not without some damage to innocent people.

But our stories not done because two crazy things happen. 1. Seer gives Jace his location for a face off, so that is probably a trap for next issue. 2. Is actually kind of weird, because as you might be aware there is the whole Magistrate thing going on, and with Tynion going I guess Ridley is now in charge of that story line. Because he introduces a mysterious until now silent partner named Victor who is apparently better at handling things then Simon Saint, and by that I mean he flat out kills the guy that Jace was hunting in Vietnam during Second Son. So unless I somehow missed this Victor guy in the main Fear State story, this would be his first appearance and I assume that if Tynion takes out Saint in Fear State that leaves Victor to lead the magistrate as a villain against Jace with ties to his own story. Weird way of keeping the magistrate around as Jace's main villain but if I'm honest besides Peacekeeper 01 who is personally fighting Bruce, Jace has more a connection to them anyway.

Hope you are all enjoying Jace's story as he's basically 8 issues into his Batman origin (4 issues of Second Son, the zero issue, and the current I am Batman ongoing).
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Still pretty annoyed at killing Anarky off panel.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I thought it was decent. Some of the narration boxes were hard to keep track of. I can't say I'll miss Arkadine and I'm hoping Victor is a more interesting threat.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-09-2021 at 01:38 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Still pretty annoyed at killing Anarky off panel.
    Especially since neither he or the guy that killed him are that important to the story. And Jace wasn't even involved in that case.

I figured Anarky's killer would get a trial later on. That could be an potential arc on its own.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-09-2021 at 02:59 PM.

Amazing Member

I'm a little behind on my reading. What continuity is this in?

Quote Originally Posted by upmiddowntown View Post
    I'm a little behind on my reading. What continuity is this in?
    Main continuity, this is happening right now in Gotham as we know it.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I thought this was excellent. Very tense, love seeing Jace show up and continue to differentiate himself from Bruces Batman by actually sticking around once the fighting is done.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I thought it was decent. Some of the narration boxes were hard to keep track of. I can't say I'll miss Arkadine and I'm hoping Victor is a more interesting threat.
    Victor feels weird to me, because he feels like a last minute addition so that Ridley can keep the Magistrate as Jace villains. Because reading Fear State it’s pretty clear that Saint is probably going to get taken down for his crimes and involvement with Scarecrow, so should Tynion write that Saint is out this Victor guy can come out and takeover the magistrate as a completely different organization type then Future State as Jace villains.
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Victor feels weird to me, because he feels like a last minute addition so that Ridley can keep the Magistrate as Jace villains. Because reading Fear State it’s pretty clear that Saint is probably going to get taken down for his crimes and involvement with Scarecrow, so should Tynion write that Saint is out this Victor guy can come out and takeover the magistrate as a completely different organization type then Future State as Jace villains.
    Simon's the head of Saint industries so I figured he'd have board members to answer to. Victor is probably one of them. Or he could be connected to whatever Arkadine is doing or both.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-10-2021 at 11:54 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Main continuity, this is happening right now in Gotham as we know it.
    Oh wow
    Thanks.
    2 Batmen. Kinda cool.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Simon's the head of Saint industries so I figured he'd have board members to answer to. Victor is probably one of them. Or he could be connected to whatever Arkadine is doing or both.
    I’m going to say both considering he had Arkadine killed in jail to hide their involvement in the “extremist left protestors” from the zero issue.
    Words to live by.