Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Prior to Sylarmax bringing up the Storm connection, the only part of his ancestry that had been cited was aboriginal, not only through Gateway, but also his wiki saying he had more than one parent/grandparent of Aboriginal ancestry. It's not wise to jump to conclusions about his ethnic background. That's like assuming all Asians are Chinese or thinking that should be the default assumption since China is the most populous country.
    Wikis are edited by fans and composed by fans. They are great sources of information, but that does not mean they are what Marcel is officially saying today.

Claremont did not create Bishop, does not own him, or write him now. Frankly, what he thinks is irrelevant now.

Maybe you should focus on the present instead of staying stuck in the past.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Wikis are edited by fans and composed by fans. They are great sources of information, but that does not mean they are what Marcel is officially saying today.

Claremont did not create Bishop, does not own him, or write him now. Frankly, what he thinks is irrelevant now.

Maybe you should focus on the present instead of staying stuck in the past.
    This thread is about determining the current status quo, so I don't see how it's stuck in the past?

The consensus is that he's both, and I don't think that will be erased.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Was it explicitly confirmed that the old woman was indeed Storm? And it wasn't just conjecture created by a writer throwing **** at a wall to see if it will fly?
    Genuinely asking.
    It wasn’t confirmed. His grandmother is a white haired black woman. If that had been firmly confirmed in the comics I think we would have at least one story with the two of them discussing that connection.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    It wasn’t confirmed. His grandmother is a white haired black woman. If that had been firmly confirmed in the comics I think we would have at least one story with the two of them discussing that connection.
    I suspected as much.
    It did seem at the time like a loaded plot point to just insert and never speak of again considering the character(s) involved.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    That's why classifying people are black, white e.t.c is pretty redundant.
    Yeah, some of the definitions(and I use the term loosely) people use for "White" and "Black" in this context really just mean "light skinned" and "dark skinned" and has nothing to do with ethnic backgrounds... which makes it utterly pointless when discussing character origins.

Another case where this came up in the past was Monet... who, as far as I could tell from what was said and shown about her origins... is meant to be a mixture of Caucasian(wealthy people from Monaco) and Algerian Berber. Which is why she often gets drawn like a "white girl" but with darker skin. Berbers don't have particularly distinctive facial features. They do have much darker skin than people from Europe though.

Extraordinary Member

The white haired woman might not have been Bishop's biological grandmother.

May Parker is Peter's aunt by marriage.

I understand the confusion, but I go with the assumption that Bishop is primarily of African descent (as he is presented in outside media).

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    The white haired woman might not have been Bishop's biological grandmother.

May Parker is Peter's aunt by marriage.

I understand the confusion, but I go with the assumption that Bishop is primarily of African descent (as he is presented in outside media).
    Outside media doesn't always follow canon though e.g. Cecilia Reyes.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Ultimate Member

Isn't the canon answer that he's both?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sylarmax View Post
    Aboriginal according to canon and what we know, but at least he's 25% African blood, in case grandmother, old Ororo Monroe.

I know people like to ignore this but old Storm is Bishop's grandmother, that LADY in the mutant concentration camps, the frail old emaciated and weak with white hair and white eyes who told Bishop stories of the x-men it was indeed Storm, and that was confirmed many times.
    Hah, most unlikely ! I always thought that Storm was his ADOPTIVE / SURROGATE Guardian , and she was a “grandparent” instead of parent because of her advanced age. If she is indeed his biological relative , then that means that Storm had a Child with an Aborigine man , and their child was a daughter who was BishopÂ’s mother ?! (His father is obviously GatewayÂ’s direct descendant through patrileneal lineage) . Who’d Storm even be able to hook up with and get knocked up by , who’s Australian Aborigine?! Eden Fessi ?!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

When you put it like that...it makes absolutely no sense that our 616 Storm would be Bishop's grandmother
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Except that time travel is a real thing in X-Men lore
    Last edited by ARkadelphia; 11-13-2021 at 04:42 PM.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I didn't know that about Australian Aboriginals, but I think it's definitely worth me looking into more.
    I said it here already (on page 3):

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Rumor has it or it that the obvious story? They tried to connect him to Storm if not the writers at least part of the fanbase if not the whole fanbase saw him as AA, at least.( Storm herself is part American. Through her father). But that was nixed. So you are saying too bad? Just because Claremont decided to spell his version out? Why is nabbing him as "Australian" aborigine so important to you anyway?[B] The truth is CC added this almost 10 years later. Oh and the black thing was so they could get more rights as indigenous peoples and they weren't making headway otherwise. NAs are also considered indigenous. Though not considered black.]
    You said this.

Aboriginals have used the term "Black." It's important to know what his heritage is so that he and it are accurately represented in comics and other media.
    Which was not related and I never said they didn't call themselves black. Bishop was originally Black American. Are you saying AA males don't care as long as they see another person of color?

People, this was a retcon done by Claremont almost ten years later, end of story.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 11-11-2021 at 12:45 AM.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

According to Marvel themselves: Bishop's parents escaped to America shortly before the island nation of Australia was destroyed in a tactical nuclear strike. They were soon captured and interred in a mutant relocation camp in Sheep's Head Bay, Brooklyn, New York. There, Bishop and his sister Shard were both born and, like other mutants, they were branded with "M" tattoos over their right eyes for identification.

So his parents are aboriginals, Bishop and his sister were born in the US.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    According to Marvel themselves: Bishop's parents escaped to America shortly before the island nation of Australia was destroyed in a tactical nuclear strike. They were soon captured and interred in a mutant relocation camp in Sheep's Head Bay, Brooklyn, New York. There, Bishop and his sister Shard were both born and, like other mutants, they were branded with "M" tattoos over their right eyes for identification.

So his parents are aboriginals, Bishop and his sister were born in the US.
    That just says his parents are Australian. Doesn’t say they are Aborigne. There are Australians that happen to be black.

He can be of mix lineage. I don’t why this is important that we have decide one way or the other to the OP.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    That just says his parents are Australian. Doesn’t say they are Aborigne. There are Australians that happen to be black.

He can be of mix lineage. I don’t why this is important that we have decide one way or the other to the OP.
    Well his grandfather Gateway was an Aboriginal
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"