Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Is Lucas Bishop African or Aborigine?

He's usually drawn as though he's of African decent, but his wiki says he's of aboriginal Australian descent. I know Aborigines have been called "Black," but they have a phenotype different from sub-Saharan Africans. Is he mixed Black and Aborigine?

In the comics, he's usually drawn as someone of sub-Saharan African descent. Does this downplay his Aboriginal background too much?

In live action, he was played by Omar Sy, who is of African descent. Did this downplay his Aboriginal background too much?

oh lord, I cant escape bullshit ass racist colonial science anywhere I go...

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

All they implied was that Bishop was descended from Gateway. It's obvious Bishop is black.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Reiko View Post
    The content of the thread is in the title. It wasn't targeted at you, but you clicked on it. That was your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    All they implied was that Bishop was descended from Gateway. It's obvious Bishop is black.
    His Wikipedia page states:

Born about 80 years in the future of the Marvel Universe, Bishop was the son of Aboriginal mutant refugees who fled to America from Australia one day before Australia was devastated by a nuclear attack.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_(Marvel_Comics)

Is that inaccurate?

Quote Originally Posted by Reiko View Post
    Didn't you know according to colonial science all black people are from africa. If you are not from africa you can not be black. That is online colonial science.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Didn't you know according to colonial science all black people are from africa. If you are not from africa you can not be black. That is online colonial science.
    Aboriginal Australians have their own phenotype that should be accurately represented, no? Does the accuracy of their representation not matter to you?

Tato506 on tictok talks extensively about this. Aborigines can call themselves black.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelboy1974 View Post
    Tato506 on tictok talks extensively about this. Aborigines can call themselves black.
    Yeah, but Bishop is drawn as Sub-Saharan African, not Aboriginal, which it why the two were distinguished at the outset.

I'm of Sub-Saharan African descent. If someone cast an Aboriginal Actor to play me in my bio-pic, that would be inaccurate, no?

Given the era, even this is debatably a jheri curl:

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 11-09-2021 at 12:09 PM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    The content of the thread is in the title. It wasn't targeted at you, but you clicked on it. That was your choice.

His Wikipedia page states:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_(Marvel_Comics)

Is that inaccurate?
    I use UncannyXmen.net since they have the issues.

"Approximately 50 years into the future, Burnum and Kadee Bishop were living in Alice Springs, Australia when they received word of a tactical nuclear strike aimed right at their region. Kadee was already pregnant with their first child when they escaped the bombs, heading for sanctuary in America. They landed in Sheepshead Bay, New York, and were almost immediately targeted by Sentinels watching for mutant immigrants. As part of the Americans’ No Tolerance policy for mutants, they were tried and found guilty of carrying the X-Gene and sentenced to life in the Sheepshead Bay internment camp. Living conditions in the camps were atrocious, and Kadee was forced to give birth on the street, in the rain, several months later. She and the child, named Lucas Bishop, barely survived the delivery."

That's from "X-Men: The Times and Life of Lucas Bishop" but I don't have it myself.
    "Cable was right!"

Yeah, but Bishop is drawn as Sub-Saharan African, not Aboriginal, which it why the two were distinguished at the outset.

I'm of Sub-Saharan African descent. If someone cast an Aboriginal Actor to play me in my bio-pic, that would be inaccurate, no?
    So all Sub-Saharan African's or those of their descent look exactly like you? There is no variance in how aboriginal people look? Is that what your implying?
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

BANNED

So all Sub-Saharan African's or those of their descent look exactly like you? There is no variance in how aboriginal people look? Is that what your implying?
    Are you saying they look exactly the same, despite developing in different parts of the world?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I use UncannyXmen.net since they have the issues.

"Approximately 50 years into the future, Burnum and Kadee Bishop were living in Alice Springs, Australia when they received word of a tactical nuclear strike aimed right at their region. Kadee was already pregnant with their first child when they escaped the bombs, heading for sanctuary in America. They landed in Sheepshead Bay, New York, and were almost immediately targeted by Sentinels watching for mutant immigrants. As part of the Americans’ No Tolerance policy for mutants, they were tried and found guilty of carrying the X-Gene and sentenced to life in the Sheepshead Bay internment camp. Living conditions in the camps were atrocious, and Kadee was forced to give birth on the street, in the rain, several months later. She and the child, named Lucas Bishop, barely survived the delivery."

That's from "X-Men: The Times and Life of Lucas Bishop" but I don't have it myself.
    Thank you-- I don't see anyhting there about his racial background being African though. Sounds like he's 100% Australian Aborigine.

phe·no·type
    /ˈfēnəˌtīp/
    Learn to pronounce
    nounBiology
    noun: phenotype; plural noun: phenotypes

the set of observable characteristics of an individual resulting from the interaction of its genotype with the environment.

I am really confused by some of the statements made. You keep mentioning phenotype but you act as though all australians of aboriginal descent must look alike and apparently experienced the exact same environmental factors.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Are you saying they look exactly the same, despite developing in different parts of the world?
    No but it sounds like you are saying they should otherwise they aren't what you expect them to be because of your apparent bias for how they should look.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

BANNED

phe·no·type
    /ˈfēnəˌtīp/
    Learn to pronounce
    nounBiology
    noun: phenotype; plural noun: phenotypes

the set of observable characteristics of an individual resulting from the interaction of its genotype with the environment.

I am really confused by some of the statements made. You keep mentioning phenotype but you act as though all australians of aboriginal descent must look alike and apparently experienced the exact same environmental factors.
    No but it sounds like you are saying they should otherwise they aren't what you expect them to be because of your apparent bias for how they should look.
    Alright, where's the Aboriginal model, athlete, influencer, musician, or whatever who looks like how Lucas Bishop is drawn? It sounds like you're the one trying to erase who Aboriginals are, as if they don't have any distinct appearance or heritage.