Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyFan View Post
    What's even more disheartening about the Luke Cage news is that Marvel has the audacity to put a 50 Anniversary sticker on it. This is going to be Luke Cage's 50th anniversary and that's a huge milestone, but Marvel isn't even trying to hide their contempt here. At least TRY to act like you care.

Luke Cage, as a character and a franchise opened the doors for a lot of other Black heroes to have their own books. And this is how they treat him? That's BS. I've had that book on subscribed for months, and now when it does come out I won't even be able to enjoy it.
    I think eventually he'll get an ongoing. I really don't like modern day family man Luke Cage. I'm a big fan of the 70's stuff and some of the 90's. I really would like to enjoy his character more tho. He's my guy. Here's hoping.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    I'm not mourning City of Fire being cancelled. I'm really tired of stories like police brutality and black people. I see it everywhere. It's just not very creative to me and appealing to me at this point no matter how relevant it is to our society.
    Unfortunately I kind off agree w/ the later

I'd like a solo mini that may turn into ongoing.And let it be a solo, I like the Jessica relationship enough but I feel it's gotten just a bit boring

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Unfortunately I kind off agree w/ the later

I'd like a solo mini that may turn into ongoing.And let it be a solo, I like the Jessica relationship enough but I feel it's gotten just a bit boring
    To me that's the issue. Writers outside of Bendis don't seem invested in their relationship. A writer either seems more invested in Jessica or Luke. Marvel also just seems uninterested in marriages as a whole. Jessica Jones is alright but never saw her worthy and developed enough to marry my boy, and the marriage happened way too fast, in my opinion. Now Jenifer Walters I can dig. Loved Jenifer in Heroes for Hire by John Ostrander.

Extraordinary Member

To me that's the issue. Writers outside of Bendis don't seem invested in their relationship. A writer either seems more invested in Jessica or Luke. Marvel also just seems uninterested in marriages as a whole. Jessica Jones is alright but never saw her worthy and developed enough to marry my boy, and the marriage happened way too fast, in my opinion. Now Jenifer Walters I can dig. Loved Jenifer in Heroes for Hire by John Ostrander.
    I don't see Jen and Luke working it out long run tbh.I'm fine w/ Jessica and Luke but just need a writer who likes both a lot.Because usually a writer favors one of the duo and that's where the focus is at.

I think eventually he'll get an ongoing. I really don't like modern day family man Luke Cage. I'm a big fan of the 70's stuff and some of the 90's. I really would like to enjoy his character more tho. He's my guy. Here's hoping.
    I agree 100%. Marriage and being a family man is great and the ideal in real life but cripples characters who are supposed to be interesting and last a long time. Which is why I am mostly against having characters get married and have kids in a mainstream universe. Unless of course the character was created with the intention of doing from the get-go. And there was the hint that his daughter was always a Skrull in the late 2000s that never materialized, so if a writer who’s brave enough ever comes along and follows up with that, it could unravel the marriage have him go back to basics with the classic look and the moniker of Power Man.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I agree 100%. Marriage and being a family man is great and the ideal in real life but cripples characters who are supposed to be interesting and last a long time. Which is why I am mostly against having characters get married and have kids in a mainstream universe. Unless of course the character was created with the intention of doing from the get-go. And there was the hint that his daughter was always a Skrull in the late 2000s that never materialized, so if a writer who’s brave enough ever comes along and follows up with that, it could unravel the marriage have him go back to basics with the classic look and the moniker of Power Man.
    They also had the whole Purple child thing which IMO if done w/ nuance could have been a greater story if they followed through w/ it.

And the future tease page shows us that we will get a story of "the tragedy of Jessica and Luke's second child"

No disrespect to you or anything but that sounds like a horrible idea, I hope no writer ever has to "balls" to do something like that. Not only is it ridiculous it's also unnecessary.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

This is absolutely not true. Peter Parker didn't become less interesting when he married Mary Jane. Cyclops didn't become less interesting when he married Jean. This juvenile thought process is what got us garbage like One More Day. Capable writers don't see marriage as an impediment or hindrance, especially in a world where most major superheroes are perpetually single and shuffle through love interests. Not to mention, Luke Cage as a character has always had an element of taking the dangerous thuggish black male stereotype and subverting it. Allowing Luke to be a committed family man adds onto that and makes him more layered.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    This is absolutely not true. Peter Parker didn't become less interesting when he married Mary Jane. Cyclops didn't become less interesting when he married Jean. This juvenile thought process is what got us garbage like One More Day. Capable writers don't see marriage as an impediment or hindrance, especially in a world where most major superheroes are perpetually single and shuffle through love interests. Not to mention, Luke Cage as a character has always had an element of taking the dangerous thuggish black male stereotype and subverting it. Allowing Luke to be a committed family man adds onto that and makes him more layered.
    Agreed. There's nothing 'deadly' about a character growing and maturing and developing a healthy adult relationship, instead of being stuck in a perpetual adolescent state even into their thirties and forties, when it looks increasingly unhealthy and 'interrupted' for them to be acting like teenagers who can't 'adult' successfully.

Our society seems to reward the angsty loners, like Rorshach or Wolverine, instead of recognizing that even their creators intended for them to be seen as lonely and kind of sad and disturbing, not as something to emulate or hold up as healthy ideals or target goals.

"Ooh, I want to be the smelly loner who other people shy away from and who lives alone and eats beans out of cans! Sign me up for that life of gruff manly independence!"

Extraordinary Member

Because writers did stories w/ them.These days we usually have writers interested in one of the duo and that's why we rarely get anything for them after Bendis and the purple child thing.Devil's Reign will have a spotlight on those 2(Chip said so himself) so hopefully it'll renew interest.

I agree w/ the latter half 100% though.

I disagree. The Spider-marriage was a mistake. And I would say it’s the opposite of making him more layered. He’s become dull. These are timeless characters we’re talking about. It’s a shame when new readers are denied the fun aspects of a character because creators want to leave their marks.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

I disagree. The Spider-marriage was a mistake. And I would say it’s the opposite of making him more layered. He’s become dull. These are timeless characters we’re talking about. It’s a shame when new readers are denied the fun aspects of a character because creators want to leave their marks.
    What exactly is the fun aspect missing from a married man? Running around hooking up with multiple different women, a new generic love interest per writer like Wolverine, very few of whom make any sort of lasting impression on the character or the franchise? It's a shame when readers are so incapable of growing up they need to project their fantasies of perpetual bachelorhood onto fictional characters. Especially where there are already 100 perpetual bachelor characters to choose from.

I wouldn't mind that route. I never really miss 70"s Cage. My favorite version. Loved the Hero-For-Hire adventures. I actually liked just about every relationship Luke had except for Jessica. Luke and Claire were cool.

The problem isn't the marriage. The problem is a lot of writers don't know what to do with Luke and Jessica. Why are we getting minis of Luke with no Jessica or baby.

If I were a writer, I'd be doing stories of Luke and Jessica starting their own P.I. firm or bodyguard services instead of just focusing on Luke alone. He has a wife and kids and they need to be a part of his life. Why Marvel is acting like Luke is some kind of solo hero is silly.

Didio? Is that you?