Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I hate to say black people need to just start pirating because it's wrong but what do you do when you want to read something that isn't done by one person and is owned by a big company who services you use but they haven't trickled down the diversity. At the end of the day marvel can exclude us until we are blue in the face but we will still read if we want because it's not only black characters we support, but if we aren't going to get any shine i guess we need to take marvel stance of it is what it is. *shrugs* hate to feel that way but at this point it isn't marvel can't it's marvel doesn't seem to want to and are actively going backwards. So i say ride it out in silence, society will catch up to them like it does everyone else. Even our dollars don't talk to Akira Cebulski and marvel.
    Never encourage anyone to do something that is criminal. Especially not someone in the African American community. They're just looking for an excuse to slap a conviction on you, which doesn't just affect your future income and living possibilities, but depending on the classification of the crime (i.e., misdemeanor vs. felony) can also cost you the right to vote. If you don't have that, you have no power in this country. There's such a thing as "good trouble", but this is not the hill to die on -- at least not in that fashion.

I suggest getting one of those monthly Unlimited subscriptions from Comixology, if you want to read a ton of comics without necessarily pouring all of your cash into the Big Corp, which you don't believe supports your concerns. That said, if memory serves Comixology falls under the Amazon company umbrella. If you have issues with Disney (Marvel) and AT&T (DC Comics), then you might also find something objectionable with Amazon. There really is no escaping big business.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 11-24-2021 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Never encourage anyone to do something that is criminal. Especially not someone in the African American community. They're just looking for an excuse to slap a conviction on you, which doesn't just affect your future income and living possibilities, but depending on the classification of the crime (i.e., misdemeanor vs. felony) can also cost you the right to vote. If you don't have that, you have no power in this country. I mean there's such a thing as "good trouble", but this is not the hill to die on -- at least not in that fashion.
    Your most likely right, at this point marvel doesn't want to court us with the work but i wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to see us in court. lmao.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Even our dollars don't talk to Akira Cebulski and marvel.
    Well remember who you are fighting. They can make the books but once they do it's out of their hands to where it goes or even if it makes a shelf.
    Old Man Logan is going to get shelf space because it's about Wolverine. You can get the WORST talent you can think of on it and it will still sniff better order numbers than a Storm book.

Our books do not WARRANT those 100K orders.
    We don't hate buy books. If someone is loving what is done in Black Panther-they are buying. As we saw with Coates-folks jumped ship.

Marvel loves that we are READING the books but they love even MORE the ones who HATE buy a book to complain about, variant cover chasers, completist and those who buy just to buy.

Look at the shelves or any Midtown Comics online sale or bins.
    Half Price books had a warehouse sale comics 50 cents-I could have left with 5 complete Hal Jordan & TGLC books. Movie Trading Post buys comic collections from stores. I went to one store a table BROKE over the weight of unsold Batman books.

Our books will NEVER do that. Not Black Panther or Cyborg. Not even Miles Morales nor Kamala nor Sam nor Jace Fox nor Laura (X-23) nor Kate Bishop nor Sam Wilson and they share names. Static-NO. Spawn? Maybe NOW but not before issue 300.

So if you are Marvel what do you do?

Storm has that audience but you are NOT going to get 50K (after issue 1) even if Vice President Kamala Harris wrote it and Oprah drew it.

Damn that's a shame, that Cage story sounds like some 616 stuff.

Whodathunk after Superman vs. the KKK in 1946 and Black Panther vs. the KKK in MP in 1980- 41 years after that (and honestly who knows how many attempts shot down), the nature of that kind of story line seems to have fallen out of favor. Maybe it's the law enforcement angle that makes it funky... yea right.
    Black Man killed by Cop???? I am shocked that even got approved. If this was an OGN but not a tie in to an event going after Kingpin.

Funny thing is Scout Comics has a comic called Black Cotton (6 issues mini) dealing with this topic with roles REVERSED.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Luke Cage: City of Fire wouldn't be the first Marvel comic to be canceled because it dared to take on brutality and corruption in law enforcement as a systemic problem rather than "a few bad apples." Remember Nighthawk by David Walker in the ANAD era? That one had its protagonist target not just standard-issue criminals, but also brutalizing cops who were themselves unjustly brutalizing the very people they were supposed to "protect and serve." That got canceled in six issues. Sam Wilson: Captain America skirted this by having the brutal over-policing of certain communities be carried out by privatized law enforcement agents called Americops, as opposed to using the actual in-universe version of the New York Police Department, but the very idea of tackling how some communities got abused instead of protected by policing and law enforcement still provoked backlash in certain corners.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    This is just amazing to hear about GOT, my wife watched and tried to get me hooked. I saw the slave siblings and with prejudice gave this whole thing a thumbs down. To hear that the books have more diversity than what Hollywood wanted to include its just insane to see these people continue to do the same shenanigans. BTW, Star Wars is dead to me...forever over what was done to Finn. I was one of the sheep that believed we were getting a possible young black jedi story.
    The books aren't that diverse, either... Westeros is basically medieval Great Britain on steroids, so almost everybody is white, but GRRM gives some bits about an important culture of Black people, the Summer Islands, and shows a few characters...

Xalabar Xho is mostly background in the books, but Sarella Sand, the smartest of the Sandsnakes is black, and she will probably join Jon Snow's crew in the next books (if GRRM manages to write them...); she is hanging with Sam in Oldtown.

GRRM mostly tries to avoid making the cultures outside of Westeros too much like any real world culture in order to avoid trouble... for example, the Lhazarene are like pacifist Asian Quaker shepherds, and the Qartheen are like 1001 Nights characters, but with very white skin.
    Last edited by Habis; 11-25-2021 at 01:09 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Luke Cage: City of Fire wouldn't be the first Marvel comic to be canceled because it dared to take on brutality and corruption in law enforcement as a systemic problem rather than "a few bad apples." Remember Nighthawk by David Walker in the ANAD era? That one had its protagonist target not just standard-issue criminals, but also brutalizing cops who were themselves unjustly brutalizing the very people they were supposed to "protect and serve." That got canceled in six issues. Sam Wilson: Captain America skirted this by having the brutal over-policing of certain communities be carried out by privatized law enforcement agents called Americops, as opposed to using the actual in-universe version of the New York Police Department, but the very idea of tackling how some communities got abused instead of protected by policing and law enforcement still provoked backlash in certain corners.
    Ironic considering how many superheroes are vigilantes

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Yeah, though usually, in the mold of Batman from DC or Spider-Man/Peter Parker back here in Marvel, they're more willing to cooperate, if not coordinate, with the police, given the standard presumption that the police are there for the same reason they are --- to protect people. Alas, as we've seen in real life recently and well before that, that's not always how it actually works out.

Invincible Member

Not that ironic. Most vigilantes in comics pretty much support the status quo.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, though usually, in the mold of Batman from DC or Spider-Man/Peter Parker back here in Marvel, they're more willing to cooperate, if not coordinate, with the police, given the standard presumption that the police are there for the same reason they are --- to protect people. Alas, as we've seen in real life recently and well before that, that's not always how it actually works out.
    Agreed, they don't seem very anti or pro cop.They work w/ them if police are doing their job but if they are under a corrupt hand or taking advantage then they'll fight them.

Fantastic Member

What's even more disheartening about the Luke Cage news is that Marvel has the audacity to put a 50 Anniversary sticker on it. This is going to be Luke Cage's 50th anniversary and that's a huge milestone, but Marvel isn't even trying to hide their contempt here. At least TRY to act like you care.

Luke Cage, as a character and a franchise opened the doors for a lot of other Black heroes to have their own books. And this is how they treat him? That's BS. I've had that book on subscribed for months, and now when it does come out I won't even be able to enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyFan View Post
    What's even more disheartening about the Luke Cage news is that Marvel has the audacity to put a 50 Anniversary sticker on it. This is going to be Luke Cage's 50th anniversary and that's a huge milestone, but Marvel isn't even trying to hide their contempt here. At least TRY to act like you care.

Luke Cage, as a character and a franchise opened the doors for a lot of other Black heroes to have their own books. And this is how they treat him? That's BS. I've had that book on subscribed for months, and now when it does come out I won't even be able to enjoy it.
    Indeed. That's just disrespectful beyond words.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Not that ironic. Most vigilantes in comics pretty much support the status quo.
    I tried to point out how that's problematic in the MCU thread

I tried to point out how that's problematic in the MCU thread
    Hmm, yeah?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyFan View Post

Aside from Miles and that mess John Stewart got-what other black character has had their anniversary celebrated?

Folks drawn the wagons when it is suggested to acknowledge black folks.

Static-all I heard was DC has to pay Milestone if they do that. Guess what trolls-Dc is writing Milestone a CHECK no matter what in order to keep publishing rights. All I suggested was a Happy Anniversary Static ad.

Sad thing is if you were to do a best of stories for an anniversary-Could anyone fill up a book for 90% of POC not named Falcon, Cage, Miles, Panther or Rhodey? Thank goodness for McDuffie and those one shots for Monica.

I'm not mourning City of Fire being cancelled. I'm really tired of stories like police brutality and black people. I see it everywhere. It's just not very creative to me and appealing to me at this point no matter how relevant it is to our society.