Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
    Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I think it’s also a giant blunder that these producers don’t bother with black characters mostly and just cast black actors as white characters all the time to satisfy their representation. Imagine DC doing an Icon movie instead of black Clark Kent from Abrams and Coates.
    I would rather see black heroes get their shine in live action than race swapped versions of white characters. I was far more interested to see Steel get another live action adaptation in Superman and Lois rather than him being a black version of Lex Luthor like they originally planned.

It's kinda wild how Marvel and DC both have black super heroes who show up in movies and shows, but those characters either don't have books or they are low selling books. I think Spawn is the only comic with a black lead that could be considered a success right now.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by armlessphelan View Post
    It's kinda wild how Marvel and DC both have black super heroes who show up in movies and shows, but those characters either don't have books or they are low selling books. I think Spawn is the only comic with a black lead that could be considered a success right now.
    It says alot about the direct marker vs the general audience...

Ultimate Member

Here is what is funny about Spawn (and Savage Dragon) at one point depending on where you live-you could NOT find those books on shelves.

They were still being made but stores did not have them.

Savage Dragon 101-192 (where his half black son took over)-that was a book I did NOT see in stores aside from the Obama cover issue. Now I see stores ordering the book and LOL sells out. Now I have not see the trades in stores since issue 215.

Spawn-I still saw the trades (mainly at Barnes & Nobles & public library) but from 101-180-I rarely saw the book. Now since issue 300 it's back in stores.

And notice neither book had to restart. BOTH replace their leads. Al Simmons came back. Savage Dragon was killed off (more than once).
    Malcolm Dragon only trails Panther & Miles Morales in solo issues since taking over for his Dad.

And yes you have black characters in those movies and shows-how many are even ACTIVE in comics? Let alone written decently.

See Cyborg-the versions that would get interest Doom Patrol or Teen Titans Go is NOT the version you will see in the past 11 years.

It says alot about the direct market vs the general audience...
    As we have seen with books like Raven, Beast Boy and Raven Loves Beast Boy-general audiences are way more open to something than the direct market.

And we got Marvel tossing out novels starring Shuri. They are not even bothering with the direct market.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Here is what is funny about Spawn (and Savage Dragon) at one point depending on where you live-you could NOT find those books on shelves.

They were still being made but stores did not have them.

Savage Dragon 101-192 (where his half black son took over)-that was a book I did NOT see in stores aside from the Obama cover issue. Now I see stores ordering the book and LOL sells out. Now I have not see the trades in stores since issue 215.

Spawn-I still saw the trades (mainly at Barnes & Nobles & public library) but from 101-180-I rarely saw the book. Now since issue 300 it's back in stores.

And notice neither book had to restart. BOTH replace their leads. Al Simmons came back. Savage Dragon was killed off (more than once).
    Malcolm Dragon only trails Panther & Miles Morales in solo issues since taking over for his Dad.
    I NEVER see Malcolm Dragon being mentioned when folks talk about black comic book characters. (Same with Shadowman from Valiant, to be honest), but I wonder how much of that is just people not caring about Savage Dragon. It's a lucky month when it breaks 10K in sales. I just wonder why DC's longest running solo book to feature a black lead was Steel, but John Henry Irons hasn't helmed a book in almost 25 years. At least Marvel lets Miles and T'Challa have try after try.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Ultimate Member

I NEVER see Malcolm Dragon being mentioned when folks talk about black comic book characters. (Same with Shadowman from Valiant, to be honest), but I wonder how much of that is just people not caring about Savage Dragon. It's a lucky month when it breaks 10K in sales. I just wonder why DC's longest running solo book to feature a black lead was Steel, but John Henry Irons hasn't helmed a book in almost 25 years. At least Marvel lets Miles and T'Challa have try after try.
    Malcolm Dragon is half black and that side does not really show on him.

Also for a book like Savage Dragon it's NOT going to hit 10K in sales. As one store employee told me-it's a book that 2-4 copies-they will SELL and that is it.

It's enough for Larson to see profit or some success. His book is at 261 in one single run. When has a Marvel book down that in this century? Dc?

Larson said if you have to keep restarting books-something is wrong with your product.

Shadow Man was white at when he started. At least I think he was. It was not until the run before the video game that he was black.

DC has pandered to a certain demographic. Leave Milestone out-how many black lead books did they toss out before New 52 where you saw a ongoing black solo or co lead (not team books)?
    70s
    BL
    Grave Digger in Men of War

John Stewart
    Steel
    Black Lightning

2000 (before New 52)
    Jason Rusch
    Michael Lane

New 52 (the most at one time)
    Mr Terrific
    Voodoo
    Batwing
    Firestorm (Jason)
    Static

DC You
    Cyborg
    Doomed (If you count him as black I couldn't tell)

Rebirth
    Cyborg
    Green Lantern Jo
    John Stewart as the lead in GL
    Michael Cray

18? If you toss in minis 28?

Black Panther is at 8 volumes by himself.
    Miles is at 4
    Cage is at 4
    Shuri is at 2 as is Riri (2)
    War Machine has 3 or 4
    Falcon had 2 ongoings
    Prowler, Moon Girl, Night Thrasher, BP spinoffs, Storm, Deathlok & Nick Fury-34 now add in minis 50?