Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Yeah, but unfortunately social media allows for this small paranoid market to have such an elevated voice in this current culture.
    Because social media, generally speaking, profits in the form of increased views, clicks, likes, shares, overall time spent/wasted, etc. on its platforms through amplifying anger, hate, and division, even if the consequences of this are fomenting violence, whether threatened or carried out, in the real world.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    It's not a strong market, a very small "fanbase" who is looked down by all creators and other fans.

I also think it has to do w/ the way it's done, I wasn't there in the 70's so I could be dead wrong but were these characters promoted as diverse or were they just diverse characters that existed.That and POC/LGBTQ+ characters are now not being added but replacing fan favorite's in comics.It's not their inclusion that bothered them, but the fact that older characters are being shoved to make room for these characters.(Not saying it's right or wrong, just why people react heavily now).

I also do prefer OC's regardless of race and gender. etc. We don't need a Spider-man/Batman of every ethnicity, I'd much rather have a Black Panther/Luke Cage type of character instead.But the former is easier to sell, that's why legacy is used more.Their comics quality aren't good enough to sell an OC so they use the fanbase of established characters which can be annoying.Spider-verse characters all being in 616 is a horrible thing(except Miles rn, his earth isn't around).

That's why Falcon is a peak legacy character, he was a character before being a legacy and fits every other thing as well.Characters(any race, gender, etc.) created to be legacy characters can be annoying because how often it happens

Bigger characters have larger fanbases, thus a bigger reaction.
    I think Comicsgate per se isn't as big as it was a couple years ago, but outrage marketing in general is as big as it's ever been. Some of the very people doing it, have let the mask slip and let it be known it's mostly for clicks.

In the 70's the market for comics and how they were promoted to say nothing of the general pop culture landscape were very different. Minority comics characters were still pretty unique. And to be fair, while we got some classic heroes from that time, there were a fair amount of cringey stories and characters.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think Comicsgate per se isn't as big as it was a couple years ago, but outrage marketing in general is as big as it's ever been. Some of the very people doing it, have let the mask slip and let it be known it's mostly for clicks.

In the 70's the market for comics and how they were promoted to say nothing of the general pop culture landscape were very different. Minority comics characters were still pretty unique. And to be fair, while we got some classic heroes from that time, there were a fair amount of cringey stories and characters.
    Yeah, progress back then was just having one PoC hero on a team of White heroes (like having one female hero on a team of male ones), and their portrayals could still be stereotypical

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Yeah, progress back then was just having one PoC hero on a team of White heroes (like having one female hero on a team of male ones), and their portrayals could still be stereotypical
    I think the very notion of progress can still be questioned. When I see folk complacent to to go along with the idea that having 5 white guys on a team is fine, but having 3 black men on the main Avengers squad is an eye rolling worthy incident ...in 2021??!!
    Last edited by dkrook; 11-17-2021 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    We are basically still there.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    I think the very notion of progress can still be questioned. When I see folk complacent to to go along with the idea that having 5 white guys on a team is fine, but having 3 black men on the main Avengers squad is an eye rolling worthy incident ...in 2021??!!
    I feel marvel messes up in that department, A-force for example.We should have representation in the MAIN teams instead of making a separate one for that.

Like Avengers, X-men, etc. should have more diversity in them

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    We are basically still there.
    Tbf the ratio of white/diverse characters is huge, and having underdeveloped characters on a team means they get ignored(bad)/ or you spend a large time of the book in developing them(also bad and makes readers drop the book).

So they should make sure to use all the developed ones(Luke Cage, Black Panther) ones while folding in ones that aren't as developed(Blue Marvel, America Chavez) so that over time we have an array of well developed diverse characters that readers saw the development for in other books they picked up

Astonishing Member

I don't have a really solid basis for an opinion on this. My question to you guys who have been following this is when do you think Marvel has done right by African American Characters? What would you like to see used as a blue print?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I don't have a really solid basis for an opinion on this. My question to you guys who have been following this is when do you think Marvel has done right by African American Characters? What would you like to see used as a blue print?
    Black Panther for me

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Black Panther for me
    Black Panther isn't African American, though.

Niffleheim

Black Panther for me
    Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    BP is neither AA nor African. He is from a fictionalized African country.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

They were doing fine by Eli Bradley until the whole drug thing.

The best would probably be Sam Wilson and Rhodey. Although the are legacy characters, they've had opportunities to grow and develop over the years.

While they've been pretty much at a standstill in the comics, they've done well enough in the MCU to warrant a movie and a couple of shows on D+.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    My bad, I really don't want to pick a legacy character but Sam Wilson because he was a great character in general even before being Cap

Ultimate Member

In terms of getting shots-

Night Thrasher. We saw him lead the New Warriors for over 50 issues. He got a mini and then he got an ongoing for 21 issues.
    He got his first mini 3 years after his first appearance. Year 4 saw his ongoing.
    Falcon... For the most part in Cap America-Falcon got the B side story is most of the books. He was also there beside Cap having adventures.
    Luke Cage (to a point) instead of axing his book-they tried something different with Ironfist. Which saw the book last 75 issues more.
    Rocket Racer-Marvel paid Tony Isabella to do 4 stories about Rocket Racer. Marvel spread those out into various Spider-Man books as back ups.
    War Machine-we saw him in Iron Man. He got a mini and then saw a string of ongoings for a time.

The blue print for me is USAGE.

Look at Falcon. How much stuff is he included in? Be it comics, toys, cartoons or movies-we SAW him. He even has books for pre-school and early readers.

Usage is just that usage in EVERYTHING. This is something else I noticed Falcon has had a new action figure every decade since 1970.
    He had headline/co-starred in a book every decade.
    80s- Cap America/Falcon and his own mini. late 80s/90 Marvel Comic present or some anthology book or B story in CA.
    Late 90s/2000 One shot and CA & Falcon-that was suppose to lead to his own solo by Priest but it became Black Panther by Priest.
    Late 2000s- Solo Avenger story, One shot, a mini (as Cap), Cap Falcon run, Falcon run, Cap & Winter Soldier.
    I have seen him in coloring books, valentines, food packages and so on.

So when he popped up in CA Winter Soldier-I heard more folks talk about HIM than Cap America. They were happy to see him on screen. You don't get that if you don't do that WORK.

That is why a Cyborg and Storm struggle. Tv and movies did their jobs. Everyone else did not.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I haven't followed enough of the younger generation of heroes to reply to your question. As far as my generation of AA heroes goes -- which is bookended by the death of Synch -- there were issues with the concept, characterization and treatment of pretty much all of them. It was the reason why I stopped collecting and reading comics for several years. Even after I came back some of those issues remain.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin