Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I asked before if the Zatara family's backward magic has a limit and there doesn't seem to be any, so raw power they're like reality warper?
    I'm not sure if I've seen this in the comics, but I have thought of the natural limit to her power being misspeaking. Like if she's not specific enough or isn't careful with her word choice, there could be unintended consequences.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I think what it really comes down to is, other than Batman (too weak), pretty much everyone on the core League are about as powerful as each other and could/would cancel each other out if written to the full extent of their abilities. we can pretend Superman is the one above all because that's kinda the metatextual perception of him but most of them have been shown to be able overpower anyone on the League (including Clark) at some point or another. there is an adage in MMA that goes "styles make the match-ups" and I would say that's probably the most fair way to look at it. certain Leaguers' style simply trump other Leaguers' style rather than a strict hierarchy.
    "Styles make fights" is the boxing saying. I think that's an important approach to take whenever League members have to face off (which shouldn't be too often).

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I think what it really comes down to is, other than Batman (too weak), pretty much everyone on the core League are about as powerful as each other and could/would cancel each other out if written to the full extent of their abilities.
    That's what I've been saying. I definitely think Clark overall (not strictly combat, but just general hero-ing) is a step above the rest, both on the page and metatextually, but any one of them should be capable of taking down any of the others. And in fact, most of them have beaten most the others at one point or another.

Except, as you say, Bruce, who doesn't have the juice to win a fight without spending a lot of time setting traps and circumstances that'll allow him to control the way things play out. I don't worship the Batgod and his divine prep time, but I'll freely admit the guy is smart and resourceful enough to successfully get the drop on the other Leaguers if he plays his cards right. Which, I think, is fair given that any of them, if you drop them into a cage with Bruce unexpectedly, would tear him to pieces with minimal effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I'm not sure if I've seen this in the comics, but I have thought of the natural limit to her power being misspeaking. Like if she's not specific enough or isn't careful with her word choice, there could be unintended consequences.
    That's happened a few times that I can recall.

Another drawback is that Zee, depending on the writer, gets hooked on her own hexes, like an addiction. It's not really a limitation or weakness in the traditional sense, but it's screwed with her in the past and has gotten in the way of her doing the job.

But generally, her power doesn't seem to have a legit upper limit; it's just whatever she's capable of saying clearly and concisely, and the fact that she can be completely nullified with some duct tape. I count her among the reality warpers, and she's maybe the most powerful being on earth who isn't jacked up by ancient magic helmets or godly blessings.

Can anyone think of a character more powerful than Zee, who doesn't rely on some outside power source?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.