Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I think we disagree on his artistic merits. It is worth noting that this is his first sequential work.

That said, at the moment, I think he has more value as an artist than as a writer.

His work is serviceable. I don't believe anyone is going to seek out his comics for his unique style, so he's not gong to break out the way Mike Mignola, or Jonathan Hickman did. But he's fast.

There may be a project out there where the ability to draw 36 issues worth of content in an year is important to a name writer. That would be a potential break for him.
    We aren't disagreeing. For someone fresh out of the gate he is doing extremely well. The thread's title asks if we agree with complaining that he is not doing as well as experienced COMICS artists who often begin practice on layout etc 10 years before Diamond decides to put them in a catalogue, and he posits that racism/sexism has something to do with that. The OP here is not getting the answer they wanted. So be it. Moving goal posts won't make people put more orders into Diamond or any other fullfilment service.

Quote Originally Posted by TroubleWithTrebles View Post
    I always cite Kirby as an ultimate source of reference and a Great from whom to take inspiration, and he stopped full pencils EARLY in the X Men, and Heck is not in Kirby's tier at all, so no.
    Yet you still cited Adams, who did nothing to save the book.

So, although you jump around a lot and fire questions willy nilly, we should not let you evade THIS one: while complaining that he is not making the same $ as people who trained themselves specifically for comics, how long has Larami been doing fully sequential pages?
    So if his art "improves" or he gets a "trained" someone like Steve freaking Rude to do it, you GUARANTEE he will start selling gangbusters?

As for Swamp Thing, the drop in sales seems to correspond to the book becoming far more pagan (than supernatural with pagan elements) at a time when Conservatism is thriving. In the 70s you get The Ladt Unicorn and Wizards, then at the height of Reagan you get GI JOE and things that go boom.
    In other words, not because of the art then?

BANNED

And although Swampie did very well around '84-87, there was a lot of money back then as opposed to post GFC and austerity measures. A lot of people in Swampie's have lost jobs today that seemed very secure beforehand.
    Last edited by TroubleWithTrebles; 09-02-2014 at 08:52 PM.

BANNED

You are arguing to argue while avoiding the question:

*When* did Larami begin sequential pages?

Astonishing Member

I have to agree with the artist, the comic book audience is a very rigid audience that only likes a very select few products. If you branch out of the norm, your chances of success will be very slim. Not only does he feature a character of color which already has strike against him in this comic book demographic, you're in an independent side company that others don't venture to as well. Essentially, he's doubly screwed IF he tries to go after the comic book demographic. I'm also an inspiring comic book artist with my first comic coming out in 2 months, but I learn first hand that trying to reach the comic book audience would be a recipe for failure. You have to try and reach the general audience, novel readers, manga readers, regular joe's, as they are much more likely to give minority characters a chance and are willing to venture outside of the standard capes that are required to sale in today's comic book market.

You are arguing to argue while avoiding the question:

*When* did Larami begin sequential pages?
    He's stated since "childhood"

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=47367

Are you implying artists who haven't in the industry for decades don't have their books bomb?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The S0/\/\@7ic Si/\/\[]Dl370n View Post
    He's stated since "childhood"

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=47367

Are you implying artists who haven't in the industry for decades don't have their books bomb?
    NO, the article says "A casual comics fan as a kid, Taylor turned his knowledge of the medium into a burgeoning career."

Not the same at all, being a casual fan since childhood has jack do do with drawing pages of continuity, stress on the word "casual", and you just misquoted the article for your purposes.

You don't get to evade.

WHEN did Larami begin SEQUENTIAL pages?

NO, the article says "A casual comics fan as a kid, Taylor turned his knowledge of the medium into a burgeoning career."

Not the same at all, being a casual fan since childhood has jack do do with drawing pages of continuity, stress on the word "casual", and you just misquoted the article for your purposes.

You don't get to evade.

WHEN did Larami begin SEQUENTIAL pages?
    I've actually dabbled with making comics off and on since childhood, but never seriously thought that this would be what I do for a living. It always seemed like a daydream.
    The funny thing is that you evaded the subject and examples of industry veteran artists still having their books bomb last page, including your example of Adams on X-Men, which you yourself brought up.

Is it just me or has this title been going under the radar? I think that is a reason as well. I haven't seen it get much exposure on comics sites. I have to admit at first I was that impressed with the art. Maybe it is more the colouring that seems to be a bit flat. However it is done by mouth is impressing. I might buy this book however it is most likely going to be on amazon.
    Last edited by Tupiaz; 09-02-2014 at 10:01 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    Is it just me or has this title been going under the radar? I think that is a reason as well. I haven't seen it get much exposure on comics sites. I have to admit at first I was that impressed with the art. Maybe it is more the colouring that seems to be a bit flat. However it is done by mouth is impressing. I might by this book however it is most likely going to be on amazon.
    That is what floored me. And that is not even a gimmick played-up in the book...dude does his art/everything with his mouth. Not to be crude but maybe that element should be in the comic..a superhero or character that has to overcome unique circumstances.

Look at the book and Movie " The FAULT in Our Stars" Its a basic enough love story but the main characters are dealing with crippling disabilities.

Not to tell Mr. Taylor what to do..but a story showing how difficult life is with a disability ( without letting it stop you) would be an interesting story. Daredevil's disability comes to mind--it is a bit convenient--but it works.

BANNED

Sorry, you aren't going to deflect with that. When did Larami begin panel to panel pages, after you goofed on citing the article? Answer, thank you.

BANNED

Dabbling with comics off and on is NOT the same thing as preparing panel to panel pages presented for consideration. So no, "dabbling" does not cut it.
    Last edited by TroubleWithTrebles; 09-02-2014 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    That is what floored me. And that is not even a gimmick played-up in the book...dude does his art/everything with his mouth. Not to be crude but maybe that element should be in the comic..a superhero or character that has to overcome unique circumstances.

Look at the book and Movie " The FAULT in Our Stars" Its a basic enough love story but the main characters are dealing with crippling disabilities.

Not to tell Mr. Taylor what to do..but a story showing how difficult life is with a disability ( without letting it stop you) would be an interesting story. Daredevil's disability comes to mind--it is a bit convenient--but it works.
    Echo is another example. You could mentioned Tony Stark. However it is easier to make stories with those disabilities since they can still move. It is hard to make a story like that without turning the heros into cyborgs/machines (which Iron Man is). I'm not saying it isn't a good idea but it is a bit more difficult than an Echo or Daredevil character.

Sorry, you aren't going to deflect with that. When did Larami begin panel to panel pages
    I've actually dabbled with making comics off and on since childhood, but never seriously thought that this would be what I do for a living. It always seemed like a daydream.
    There's comics that aren't comprised with panels? I wasn't aware of these.

after you goofed on citing the article? Answer, thank you.
    What goof?

I posted the link.

You skipped over the quote. So I posted the quoted for you (now twice).

And yet, you deflected from the issue and examples of books with good art (and good writing), plus books drawn by industry veterans, constantly tanking, with your one example of Neal Adams boosting the original X-Men's sales, something which he actually failed to do.

Is it just me or has this title been going under the radar? I think that is a reason as well. I haven't seen it get much exposure on comics sites. I have to admit at first I was that impressed with the art. Maybe it is more the colouring that seems to be a bit flat. However it is done by mouth is impressing. I might buy this book however it is most likely going to be on amazon.
    http://community.comicbookresources....l=1#post457785

BANNED

Echo is another example. You could mentioned Tony Stark. However it is easier to make stories with those disabilities since they can still move. It is hard to make a story like that without turning the heros into cyborgs/machines (which Iron Man is). I'm not saying it isn't a good idea but it is a bit more difficult than an Echo or Daredevil character.
    No doubt. But most things not done before seem impossible until its done.