Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

I feel terrible for the guy. Thing is, I'm not really into dark eroticism so I probably wouldn't have followed the title even if it were better known.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    Dynamic art is necessary for any book that wants to reach certain levels of sales and success. Boring art is boring art, regardless of story.
    Dynamic and boring aren't antonyms. Dynamic and static are. And people like Alex Ross, Frank Quitely, and why not, Hergé have done very well for themselves with art that can definitely be called not terribly dynamic, but nevertheless awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Dynamic and boring aren't antonyms. Dynamic and static are. And people like Alex Ross, Frank Quitely, and why not, Hergé have done very well for themselves with art that can definitely be called not terribly dynamic, but nevertheless awesome.
    Would you prefer i use words like stiff? Rigid? Are we really comparing this to Alex Ross now?

As I said originally, the work doesn't visually tell a story in an interesting way. There is potential in it, but the layouts and need serious improvements to compete on the monthly sales shelf it's being released against.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    Would you prefer i use words like stiff? Rigid? Are we really comparing this to Alex Ross now?
    Considering that I find Alex Ross's art to bevery boring indeed, sure, seems fair.
    What word you should use depends on what you're trying to express, which seems to be boredom, so "boring" seems fine. But it being boring has no bearing on it being dynamic or static.

As I said originally, the work doesn't visually tell a story in an interesting way There is potential in it, but the layouts and need serious improvements to compete on the monthly sales shelf it's being released against.
    Unrefined then, perhaps?

Extraordinary Member

Aren't there monthlies that look a lot worse than this that sell more? I don't think the art is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    I feel terrible for the guy. Thing is, I'm not really into dark eroticism so I probably wouldn't have followed the title even if it were better known.
    It's not erotica, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Considering that I find Alex Ross's art to bevery boring indeed, sure, seems fair.
    What word you should use depends on what you're trying to express, which seems to be boredom, so "boring" seems fine. But it being boring has no bearing on it being dynamic or static.

Unrefined then, perhaps?
    I'll go with that. But I'm just going in circles here. I've said my piece for better or worse, I don't see any reason to keep this up. I hope that Larime reads my criticism for what it is. I don't mean to be overly negative, I am trying to be constructively critical. I want everyone to be successful at making comics, and there is a market out there for everything. This isn't for me, obviously, but you can't win 'em all. I wish you all the best of luck and prosperity, and I hope you find your niche out there in the comics market, Larime.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larime Taylor View Post
    It's not erotica, actually.
    Shows like Lost Girl, You're the worst, and Game of thrones aren't erotica either. Doesn't mean they aren't packed with eroticism, which isn't my bag. A book about a murderous young woman whose friends keep getting their sexuality exploited, featuring a serial killer who only targets attractive women checks enough marks on my qualifier. Just not into that stuff.