Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    If I remember correctly, the readers hated Trevor Barnes, I don't know if it was because of the color of his skin or what.
    I also vaguely remember that they decide to kill him under Simonson's run, whether at the request of Rucka or the editors or DC directors.
    Some hated it because he was Black. There are white guys who have massive inferiority complexes to Black men.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Some hated it because he was Black. There are white guys who have massive inferiority complexes to Black men.
    How about that some didn't like him because they didn't like the character, not because of his skin color!

Projecting much?

Wonder Woman got married to Steve Trevor near the end of the Vol 1 run, so I guess they copulated afterwards.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

I loved Trevor Barnes and I wish that he had been kept as part of her supporting cast. My two favorite parts of Phil Jimenez' run were Barnes and his nephew Bobby.

Incredible Member

So it seems like, officially, there's been 5 people confirmed.

1. Kasia - WW v5 #2 (reverenced)
    2. Meghara - WW v5 #2 (reverenced)
    3. Evrayla - WW v5 #2 (referenced)
    4. Superman - ????
    5. Steve Trevor - WW v5 #25

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    How about that some didn't like him because they didn't like the character, not because of his skin color!

Projecting much?
    How am I projecting?

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post

Projecting much?
    I didn't want to get involved in this thread, but this post is bizarre to me. There were SOME (yes, some. Just like DABellWrites said) racist fans who didn't like Diana being with Trevor because he was black. I remember seeing the posts.

Nowhere did he say that people who didn't like Trevor ALL hated him because of his skin color. Just some. Which is true.

In Phil Jimenez's words:

"Reaction to Trevor Barnes was mixed at best, and hostile at worst. We got calls saying, “Get that Black monkey out of my ‘Wonder Woman’ comics” (Yes, seriously); and one fan reacted by saying he couldn’t relate to Trevor like he could to Steve, because Steve was “blond and blue eyed like him.” Many fans loathed the idea that Trevor might be the one to have sex with Diana (then, a virgin) before Steve himself did, even though the post-Crisis version of Steve was significantly older than Wonder Woman and married to another woman. Further, the fact that, in his first introduction, Trevor said “No” to Diana when she asked him out on a date made fans go ballistic, even though they had no idea why he said no (It was explained sometime later)."

But for all the crying and whining of the racists, Trevor was fantastic. He is arguably the best Wonder Woman love interest to date. His design was terrific to start, with gorgeous long hair and he was a kind, patient activist, not the soldier that Steve Trevor was. He embodied the Jimenez ideal of WW, activism, and a progressive push for change, rather than militaristic tendencies.

I remember the racist posts too, they were on the unmoderated DC comics message board which was like gunslinging in the wild west.

Phil did give readers an in story reason to dislike him though. One day out of the clear blue sky Diana states there's a guy she wants to date. She calls him beautiful, lists all his accomplishments and why they're compatable, then she asks him out and he blows her off with some lame excuse. It was really awkward, it was like he was too good for her or something. It was hard for Trevor Barnes to come back from that and become a beloved character.

I will say I thought it was wrong how they built him up, gave him powers, then killed him off and never mentioned him again. That's the kind of treatment Jason should have got.

In Phil Jimenez's words:

"Reaction to Trevor Barnes was mixed at best, and hostile at worst. We got calls saying, “Get that Black monkey out of my ‘Wonder Woman’ comics” (Yes, seriously); and one fan reacted by saying he couldn’t relate to Trevor like he could to Steve, because Steve was “blond and blue eyed like him.” Many fans loathed the idea that Trevor might be the one to have sex with Diana (then, a virgin) before Steve himself did, even though the post-Crisis version of Steve was significantly older than Wonder Woman and married to another woman. Further, the fact that, in his first introduction, Trevor said “No” to Diana when she asked him out on a date made fans go ballistic, even though they had no idea why he said no (It was explained sometime later)."

But for all the crying and whining of the racists, Trevor was fantastic. He is arguably the best Wonder Woman love interest to date. His design was terrific to start, with gorgeous long hair and he was a kind, patient activist, not the soldier that Steve Trevor was. He embodied the Jimenez ideal of WW, activism, and a progressive push for change, rather than militaristic tendencies.
    My favorite is Rama, but Barnes is a close second. I think it's very telling that the black love interest is the one who got killed off permanently, while all the white boys survived

Spectacular Member

They did have Siegfried in 779 but I prefer Steve given the history and Diana and Steve have genuine feelings for each other. The race and colour doesn't matter to me, being a non-white myself

In Phil Jimenez's words:

This was even worse than I assumed.

If there was any issue I had with Trevor Barnes it was that his first name was Steve's last name.

Incredible Member

Or this guy. Who broke up with her after and before they did another all-night romp a thron.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Thomas_Tresser_(New_Earth)
    Last edited by gwhh; 02-14-2024 at 12:26 PM.

I always loved the dynamic in the relationship between Diana and Tom. I really hated the final resolution of her relationship and her supposed intentions towards him. To me that was a big misstep on Gail's part.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    As far as DC, I'm pretty sure neither Superman or Wonder Woman were ever shown as having sex until Superman got married, and Wonder Woman continued to not be so portrayed. Then, when Phil Jimenez was writing her series (during which she had also gone without a serious love interest for over a decade) he introduced the love interest Trevor Barnes, and raised this big stink about how he was going to be the first to show Wonder Woman as having sex, presumably just by showing the two naked in bed together. However, looking up all of this info in news archives, it's all about how he SAID he was going to do it. There's nothing about it actually happening, so it seems like it never really did.

Then, when Greg Rucka was writing her series, he stated that he was going to introduce the idea that Diana had had relations with her fellow Amazons on Paradise Island. Which seems weird since she was the only child on an island full of grown-ups and they all watched her grow up.

Then, after the 2011 reboot, they showed Superman and Wonder Woman knocking boots with hats off.

So I guess my question is, did Jimenez and Rucka follow through on these? I can't find anything concerning Trevor Barnes? Besides Superman and Steve Trevor, is Wondy shown taking any lovers?
    In the Mod era Diana and Steve lived together (he turned out to be only sort of Steve possessed by Cupid later) and they had scenes of snuggling on a couch. I feel like it was implied that they were lovers.
    In the 70s there was a story arc where Superman temporarily lost his powers and it's strongly implied that Clark and Lois had sex. They had a date, the scene ends with Clark's apartment door being locked, and the next day a blissful Lois goes to work singing. Of course his powers returned, there was a Clark/Lois/Superman triangle which ended with Lois being implied to have sex with Superman. After that it seemed implied at times (but inconsistently) that she knew his identity (how could she not after that?).
    Post Crisis years before Clark and Lois married an amnesiac Superman clearly had a sexual relationship with the Apokalipsian Amazing Grace. I also think it was implied at times that Clark and Lois were lovers after they were engaged, but it was left pretty vague. No scenes in bed for sure.