BANNED

Default Was there a Galactus in the universe Galan came from?

Just a question, like the prior incarnation of the cosmos (the 6th according to the ultimates), did it have a galactus or galactus equivalent?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I know Al Ewing's writing is raved about often, but his conceptualizations are often hit or miss with me. The Defenders series, Omnimax, Galactus' mother flirting with Dr. Strange, magical time travel that allows them to leap through past instances of the Cosmos, the predictably recurring theme in a Ewing book that the individuals of a team represent a composite of some sort or other -- yeah, the Defenders was a miss for me. But Omnimax was probably the biggest disappointment as completely unoriginal and unnecessary. Al's obviously writing too many books.

BANNED

Thanks for the prompt rec for defenders guys

Yeah I feel a bit disappointed if a devourer was a thing in every time instead of being a concept that emerged as the cosmos evolved. Which could perhaps have opened up morality questions about if the entity of the devourer/galactus equivalent is truly essential to the universe or if it is perhaps a vestige capable of evolving. Especially since ewing played with the concept of lifebringer and if previous universes managed to function without it whether all that genocide really is necessary

BANNED

edit: accidental post

It also makes you wonder why the 6th Cosmos chose Galan instead of simply infusing its essence into this Omnimax creature? Obviously, Galan couldn't have been all that special if the end result was to reinvent the wheel in the next cosmos.

It also makes me wonder why in the Ultimates, Lord Chaos and Master Order -- who technically represent the cosmic hierarchy from the 6th Cosmos -- didn't simply re-create Omnimax, instead of forcing Lifebringer Galactus to resume his role as the Devourer of Worlds? I mean, they had the power to kill the Living Tribunal and convert themselves into their ultimate form of Logos, which was apparently powerful enough to make Galan the Devourer again against his will. Bringing back Omnimax should have been a snap for them.

I'm sure it makes sense to Ewing, but to me it just looks like he cooked up an excellent meal (i.e., infusing Galactus with the 6th Cosmos), but ruined it by garnishing it with moose dung and hog slop (Omnimax). But whatever.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 11-11-2021 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    It also makes you wonder why the 6th Cosmos chose Galan instead of simply infusing its essence into this Omnimax creature? Obviously, Galan couldn't have been all that special if the end result was to reinvent the wheel in the next cosmos.
    Isn't it just that Galan was the last living creature? Isn't that how it works?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post

It also makes me wonder why in the Ultimates, Lord Chaos and Master Order -- who technically represent the cosmic hierarchy from the 6th Cosmos -- didn't simply re-create Omnimax, instead of forcing Lifebringer Galactus to resume his role as the Devourer of Worlds? I mean, they had the power to kill the Living Tribunal and convert themselves into their ultimate form of Logos, which was apparently powerful enough to make Galan the Devourer again against his will. Bringing back Omnimax should have been a snap for them.

I'm sure it makes sense to Ewing, but to me it just looks like he cooked up an excellent meal (i.e., infusing Galactus with the 6th Cosmos), but ruined it by garnishing it with moose dung and hog slop (Omnimax). But whatever.
    The entire cos. hierarchy of Marvel is dog **** IMO for dipshits to dabble in and discuss nowadays. Wonder when All Ewing lost the plot and his storyline transformed into this shitty mess. It absolutely is cringeworthy.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    That's how it went when Jack Kirby and Stan Lee told Galactus's origin in a Thor subplot. Marvel later reprinted those sections in a one shot about Galactus' origin. I really dislike it when today's writers ignore this esp since IMO that was mostly Kirby's concept.

Just IMO but in those early days of Marvel, I don't get the sense that the concept of a multiverse existed yet. So in Stan and Jack's playground, there appears to be this cycle of destruction and recreation in which Galan becomes Galactus. There was no Galactus before him...just this concept of universal decay described in the Galactus origin story in Thor #162 and various other issues. All the relevant pages were reprinted in a one shot called Super-Villain Classics #1 (1983) - The Origin of Galacutus

If I had to guess, Stan & Jack describe a cycle that has been going on since there was nothing but a great void. Is Galan's universe the first one that evolved? That's hard to say but one could guess that each iteration was an advancement until the decay sets in as described here...

The final few survivors on Taa leave in a spacecraft but only Galen survives

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 11-12-2021 at 01:26 AM.

BANNED

ewing has played with the idea of it being the last living survivor becoming the devourer of the next universe. In immortal hulk we saw aliens and the next cosmos who sent back a message because TOBA became the devourer in the next cycle who consumed everything indiscriminately after hulk survived to the end of the current cosmos (number 8)

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Not quite, as the previous Cosmos, I'm sure, had a "last man standing" but everyone died. Galan should have died, too. There was no requirement for the 6th cosmos to combine itself with Galan at all. The 7th cosmos would have been born with or without that act.