Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    I’m excited for this. It seemed a given since the updates of the XMTAS costumes have been flowing around for a while already.

They have a lot of stores to pull from since the old cartoon stopped: morrison’s, astonishing, house of M, remender’s Uncanny X-force, utopia, and the current Krakoa era could give for good arcs.
    TAS was great for Claremontian Magneto fans. Just amazing. As a Magneto fan if they take off from the end of TAS it will be great for him and far better then the mess the end of WATXM made of the character.

Wanda and Pietro were ok though not particularly interesting. They just learned they were related to Magneto and interact with him without any of the Brotherhood era baggage which were necessary ingredients for the House of M to work. As a Lorna fan I don't see how it works for her at all. TAS Lorna was not related to Magneto and while that can be fixed easy enough the character is already settled as a generic love interest character. Being related to Magneto or not being related to him doesn't make her interesting.

I don't think one can get to a Morrison status quo or the House of M status quo based on where TAS ended.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-12-2021 at 05:04 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I had a fondness for WaTXM and there was a lot I liked (at least from a conceptual standpoint) but some of the execution, and definitely the action scenes, left a little to be desired.

Same. I want more good Marvel cartoons and less MCU tie-ins.
    To be honest, I believe the X-Men as with every Comic property work better in animation than live-action. I actually would prefer a quality animated shared superhero universe more in the vein of the DCAU than the live action MCU. I also would like animated PG-13 X-Men movies as well.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member

For the next X-Men animated series I hope it’s 2D instead of 3D.

- Charles Schultz.

at first I was "why would Marvel Studios do this?", and I wanted a whole new show, fresh approach, looks, rosters and all.... but after reading this topic my mind has kinda changed.
    The TAS storylines will be the X-Men past (their backstory) and with this potential show Marvel can continue their journey with new stories set in present day, so basically it would be like the comics: Mainline comic started in the 60s, so we got X-Men stories in the 60s, 70s, 90s, 00s, 10s and currently. So Marvel Studios can do exactly the same with the cartoon. This way they wont retread the old/classic stories since they already happened and this revival could adapt all those cool arcs from the 00s and 10s some users have already pointed out.
    Now I think its a smart idea by Marvel's part. Now that they are the owners of the 90s show, they can use it as "the X-Men history" and can continue with new/updated roster, new looks, new status quo, and totally fresh plots and ideas.
    Last edited by Kurt LeBeau; 11-11-2021 at 06:15 PM.

Astonishing Member

Even if this is a revival, it's still not going to be the exact same show. After all, 30 years have passed. Including 30 years of comics stories.

I, personally, would like to see the revival just to see what they could do with it. What new things they could add. Like, would they bring in Morrison era villains like Cassandra Nova and John Sublime? Would they do a Krakoa arc based on the current stuff? Would they finally be able to have Kitty Pryde as a guest star now that the stigma of "Pryde of the X-Men" isn't hanging over everything? There's also the fact that at the time they were working with the cast that Marvel wanted them to work with and some of the characters hadn't really had much development. I mean, Cable hadn't even been developed yet and they were adding dimensions and back story to him with every guest appearance. That's how he went from a mercenary formerly in Genosha's army in "Slave Island" and "The Cure" to 30th Century apocalyptic freedom fighter in later seasons. Gambit hadn't really been developed yet, which is probably why they only did one episode that really focused on him.

And then there's Jubilee.

I know I'm probably one of very few people who noticed this because not a lot of people pay attention to her character, but she didn't really become much like the Jubilee from the comics in terms of personality or mutant potential until the last season. Specifically "Jubilee's Fairy Tale Theatre" and "The Fifth Horseman". Before that she didn't have Jubilee's signature attitude or big mouth nor was she acknowledged as being potentially powerful. Instead, she was just the standard "innocent kid" member. She was naive and eager. She liked to tag along with Logan. She cried a lot.

So, I wouldn't mind seeing them "revive" the '90s show. If for no other reason than to see what they could do with the cast they had now that they have 30 more years of material to work with.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

I’m biased but I’m excited. In the very least, they won’t need to rehash stories we’ve already seen before and can move on to newer stuff
    Make Good Art

A continuation of X-Men:TAS??!?
    Let's Fvcking Go Boys!!
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I mean, it's obviously a nostalgia cash-grab, but maybe that's just what X-Men is now.
    well if it is a cash grab then they're gonna make a lot of money lol. I want it on dvd

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    For the next X-Men animated series I hope it’s 2D instead of 3D.
    what xmen animated series was 3D?

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    To be honest, I believe the X-Men as with every Comic property work better in animation than live-action. I actually would prefer a quality animated shared superhero universe more in the vein of the DCAU than the live action MCU. I also would like animated PG-13 X-Men movies as well.
    Man, Marvel getting something on DCAU's level of quality would be great, it's one of those things where the good outweights the bad.

But yeah, I also think cartoons are a better medium for super-heroes than movies, and it's for the simple reason that movies take so long to come out, they're always big stories, while cartoons can benefit from having downtime, episodes where the adventures aren't as big, or as dangerous, or whatever.

Anyways, if they do something with the 90's cartoon, kinda wonder if they'll make a time skip, considering how long it's been, continuing from where they left off could look weird, and a time skip could be used to show it's a new era.

Would prefer a new cartoon though.

Quote Originally Posted by metalclouds View Post
    what xmen animated series was 3D?
    Don't think there was any, maybe WATXM had scenes with CGI? If so, it still mostly was 2D.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

DC animation ain't what it used to be. The yearly model has turned out some stinkers, most recently Injustice, a completely botched effort at combining the plot of the comics with the games and failing both. And let's not forget how they fucked up Killing Joke and that simply awful Harley Quinn/Batman thing where Harley...maybe rapes Nightwing?

I'm excited for whatever this may be. XTAS brought me to the X-Men. I will always love it. It seems like people gripe about nostalgia, unless it's THEIR nostalgia. Then it's cool. EVO and WatXM have both greatly grown on me and I'd welcome a continuation of those as well. All three shows have things they did well (and poorly) and each deserves to be judged within their era and context. There's no reason not to take the best from each of those cartoons and give us something totally new with fresh storylines.

Obviously it needs major modernization and better animation, but done right a new cartoon could bring in much needed new X-Men fans. Because as latest polls here show, it's an aging fandom and XTAS was a major draw for many of us.

I'd like to see them take elements from each X-Men series and use them. They all had some great elements and I'd love to see a new series take from them.

TAS had faithfulness to the comics and fun character interactions. Evolution had a large, well-developed cast, including antagonists. WatXM had Hellion. If they can nail the story and characters, coupled with a good artstyle and animation, this show could be amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Well if it's real we may know more details tomorrow.

Astonishing Member

Give me a Marvel animated universe that looks as good as the 2D animated part of this vid, and I’m golden.

- Charles Schultz.