Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Hey that's me!

Yeah man, I love what I love but I try not to let that blind me to the problems. DC has screwed the pooch with Superman a lot, but really in a way they have with Bruce too. Sure, Bats has overtaken Clark as DC's most profitable IP, he's easy to write and creators and fans both love him. But the price has been high. They turned Bruce into the world's greatest villain, who's greatest trick was convincing everyone, including himself, that he's the hero. Which would be a really gods damn cool idea....if it were being done intentionally. And I celebrate Bruce's success, but DC's fanwanking makes it real difficult to root for the guy sometimes, he's got the deck stacked in his favor, to the detriment of everyone else, to such a big degree.

To DC's credit, I do feel like the last few years have been better. Bruce isn't as much of a emotionally stunted, abusive a-hole these days, and I appreciate the hell out of that.

Bronze Age Batman is best Batman.
    100% agreed. I definitely recognize that Batman is their most popular character, but there is always an element of "but at what cost?" with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wat View Post
    To Bats everyone is a potential THREAT one step away from becoming a despicable criminal hence his CREED of I don't trust anybody and keeping even his allies uncomfortable around him.
    Is that still Bats even after the events of Infinite Crisis and One Year Later?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Is that still Bats even after the events of Infinite Crisis and One Year Later?
    I don't think so. He seems to actually treat Clark like a friend lately.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I mean if we chose to view comics this way, then there’d literally never be a reason to write about a single character other than Superman. Which nobody wants, right?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I mean if we chose to view comics this way, then there’d literally never be a reason to write about a single character other than Superman. Which nobody wants, right?
    What are you even talking about?

The thread we are posting in.

Next time try thinking for a minute before posting.

Or Captain Marvel or Wonder Woman. There were three original Can Do characters of separate publication entities.

Mighty Member

The thread we are posting in.

Next time try thinking for a minute before posting.
    That don't explains the ridiculous claim that there would be never a reason to write about another character than Superman, this thread is about the problem that Batman is fighting side by side with super powered characters and somehow contributes in that role often even without super-suits, but there are plenty of super powered characters besides Superman who are often even better for spezialised tasks than him.

The more minutes i think about it the more reasons to write about other characters than Superman i can think off, so i ask again, what are you even talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    That don't explains the ridiculous claim that there would be never a reason to write about another character than Superman, this thread is about the problem that Batman is fighting side by side with super powered characters and somehow contributes in that role often even without super-suits, but there are plenty of super powered characters besides Superman who are often even better for spezialised tasks than him.

The more minutes i think about it the more reasons to write about other characters than Superman i can think off, so i ask again, what are you even talking about?
    Not to speak for TheRay but I assume what they're essentially saying is if we hold Batman under this kind of ultra realistic microscope we're going to have to do it for everyone. So why do we need Hawkman or Booster Gold if Superman can do what they can do infinitely better? Realistically the JL would only need the top tier Superman, Flash, Martian Manhunter level characters. The likes of Aquaman and Black Canary would be mostly redundant with the more powerful heroes around.

Comics are entertainment first and foremost readers don't care or want every hero on a team to be extremely powerful or even powered at all. Would the Avengers be more popular if Captain America, Black Widow or Hawkeye weren't on the team? There should always be differences in powers, personalities, backgrounds, etc in any team story or it gets boring really fast. Besides Batman uses supersuits like the Hellbat just enough to have him believably fight bigger threats.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    Not to speak for TheRay but I assume what they're essentially saying is if we hold Batman under this kind of ultra realistic microscope we're going to have to do it for everyone. So why do we need Hawkman or Booster Gold if Superman can do what they can do infinitely better? Realistically the JL would only need the top tier Superman, Flash, Martian Manhunter level characters. The likes of Aquaman and Black Canary would be mostly redundant with the more powerful heroes around.

Comics are entertainment first and foremost readers don't care or want every hero on a team to be extremely powerful or even powered at all. Would the Avengers be more popular if Captain America, Black Widow or Hawkeye weren't on the team? There should always be differences in powers, personalities, backgrounds, etc in any team story or it gets boring really fast. Besides Batman uses supersuits like the Hellbat just enough to have him believably fight bigger threats.
    That argument would make a lot of sense, but he specifically said that there would literally never be a reason to write about a single character other than Superman, which makes no sense at all because even just in the most standarized Justice League are with Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, and Martian Manhunter at least 4 other top tier Superman level characters who are each better for many specialized tasks than Superman. And if a villain is stronger than Superman he would need that help even regardless of the specialized advantages of his peers.

I have personally no problem with Batman in the Justice League, i just have a problem with Bat-god shenanigans, but i have the same problem if it is another character like Superman in both versions of the pathetic DCEU Justice League for example.

Astonishing Member

Is Bruce's fanbase honestly feel hurt if he works as a behind the desk type even though he's constantly billed as the "smart" guy? Lol.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Is Bruce's fanbase honestly feel hurt if he works as a behind the desk type even though he's constantly billed as the "smart" guy? Lol.
    Lex Luthor is the smartest man alive but still puts on a powersuit and fights Superman himself. This is an action medium, nobody wants to see a character sitting behind a desk instead of actually fighting. Being smart doesn't mean he shouldn't ever be in the field, besides if he did to that fans of other characters would complain that their favorites are being made to look stupid as the All-Mighty super genius Batgod barks orders at them. There are gonna be complaints regardless of what he's doing.

Spectacular Member

...he and the team are written correctly, as in the 60s.

An Adam West-personality Batman would be welcomed to the Justice League. The 1990s Conroy, while "favored" (to put it mildly) through most of it, isn't too bad. Comics Batman since the 90s, barring a couple runs, well, its amazing anyone would want to be associated with him.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    An Adam West-personality Batman would be welcomed to the Justice League.
    It wasn't welcome 50 years ago in the comics when I started reading DC and it surely wouldn't be welcome now.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?