Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

Default Anyone annoyed with the trend started by the MCU making Peter a new hero?

Ever since around the Ultimate cartoon and MCU, in all the new timelines/adaptions that come out, Spidey is one of the “new heroes”, when in 616 his origin takes place before Iron Man’s, before the Avengers were formed, etc. Peter might be the Marvel universes’ most experienced hero period, but that’s never translated into any mode adaptations (beside maybe ITSV and SMPS4). Taking into account how many issues he has compared to any other Marvel hero, 616 Peter rightfully is the Marvel hero with the most experience under his belt, and other than a few other heroes such as the Fantastic Four and the Golden Age heroes, he started before almost all of them.

Just a little pet peeve I have about how Peter is being treated in modern adaptations, the Avengers game new info is what made me write this. If anyone can put what I’m saying into better words, let me know what you think, sometimes I have trouble getting out what I’m trying to say lol.

It's not surprising considering Ultimate is what really pushed this idea that Spidey has to be a teenager, so post MCU adaptations going for "Well, most other heroes were around before Spider-Man" is not surprising.

Though I think Ultimate still had him being one of the first in-universe for the modern age, at least.

But yeah, don't really like him being a newbie hero, but I find it to be more annoying when they make him into an eternal teenager.

hmm never thought that much of it. But I think I prefer him being new over being a character thats been around since the beginning. Cause that then just leads to question like what were you doing this whole time huh?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    hmm never thought that much of it. But I think I prefer him being new over being a character thats been around since the beginning. Cause that then just leads to question like what were you doing this whole time huh?
    His own thing, like in the comics. The thing about Spider-Man (and Black Panther earlier on) is to show that there is (or at least there was) a bigger world beyond the Avengers and that the Avengers aren't the be-all, end-all of superheroes in the Marvel Universe.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Just having his own adventures, not like we have to know about every single thing.

Astonishing Member

The Ultimate cartoon is indeed guilty of this, but I don't see how the MCU can be blamed here. It wouldn't have been believable for Spider-Man to have been around in the MCU since the Phase 1 days. When the X-Men and the FF show up, they will be "new heroes" and Peter will be their senior.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 11-11-2021 at 03:45 PM.

It existed before the Ultimate cartoon. Remember Spectacular Spiderman? Was he a new hero in the 90s cartoon and the Raimi films?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    The Ultimate cartoon is indeed guilty of this, but I don't see how the MCU can be blamed here. It wouldn't have been believable for Spider-Man to have been around in the MCU since the Phase 1 days. When the X-Men and the FF show up, they will be "new heroes" and Peter will be their senior.
    Do we know that for sure? Carol, Pym and Janet were around since before Iron Man chronologically speaking, they could always make F4 and/or X-Men be an old team.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    It existed before the Ultimate cartoon. Remember Spectacular Spiderman? Was he a new hero in the 90s cartoon and the Raimi films?
    Spectacular Spider-Man has super-heroing being a new thing, in episode 4, we even have Tombstone telling Norman "We would like hire you to create more, well, let's call them, super-villains."

In 90's cartoon, I don't think it's mentioned how long he's been at it, but he mentions other super-hero teams, so it's an universe where heroes have been around for a while, and Raimi's movies have him starting as a teenager, but he's in college living by himself afterwards.

OP's complaint isn't about him being young, it's about him being included as a new hero instead of a veteran, since in 616 he's one of the first heroes from the modern era, to the point he's been at it longer than Iron Man.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Spectacular Spider-Man was in his own world where he was pretty much the only superhero depicted in that setting. Same with the Raimi films. The 90s cartoon had him teaming up with other heroes on occasion, but he wasn't playing second fiddle or inexperienced junior to them, since he was still the titular protagonist. Even the Ultimate Spider-Man comics had him as an idealistic, strenuously ethical and moral foil to more hardened, jaded, "pragmatic" or ruthless adult heroes. It was mostly the Ultimate animated series and the MCU that made him out to be such a starry-eyed admirer of the adult heroes, and the MCU in particular that arguably made him more of an adjunct to Iron Man as opposed to his own independent hero.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

To me it doesn't matter whether he's new or established so much as him being independent and competent and not needing to get lectured or treated as "the kid" by other heroes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To me it doesn't matter whether he's new or established so much as him being independent and competent and not needing to get lectured or treated as "the kid" by other heroes.
    Same for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Do we know that for sure? Carol, Pym and Janet were around since before Iron Man chronologically speaking, they could always make F4 and/or X-Men be an old team.
    Ant-Man and Wasp are small enough to be off-grid (literally) and Carol was in space.

It's harder to get away with that if you're doing Spider-Man, the X-Men, or the FF (sure the FF travel in space but their home base is on Earth and they're more connected to it than Carol who is Marvel's Green Lantern).
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 11-11-2021 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Basically, don't turn him into the little brother/Kitty Pryde archetype of the Marvel Universe. I still prefer him as established, but as long as he doesn't play that role, i can live with it.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Doesn’t bother me at all considering it’s not really a new thing at all. The Ultimate Universe had all of Peter’s time as a hero being during his high school years, with Death of Spider-Man even taking place shortly after he had been Spider-Man for only a year. Compared to the likes of older heroes like the Ultimates, he was a rookie. Marvel Adventures also made use of Peter as a teenager in High School as did the mangaverse. It seems that more often than not that they use Peter as a teenager because he was basically Marvel’s original teen hero. Most teen hero that came before him had been someone’s sidekick rather than their own person even if they did break away from the hero. So even though 616 has an adult Peter, his high school life is kinda viewed as iconic with adaptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Ant-Man and Wasp are small enough to be off-grid (literally) and Carol was in space.

It's harder to get away with that if you're doing Spider-Man, the X-Men, or the FF (sure the FF travel in space but their home base is on Earth and they're more connected to it than Carol who is Marvel's Green Lantern).
    X-Men would be more difficult, yeah, but Spidey could always be older, hell, his debut even has him being already an active hero, so if they wanted, putting some more years under his belt wouldn't be far fetched.

F4, I guess you could say they were imprisoned somewhere in space, or the Negative Zone, but similar ideas were used with Carol, and Janet, but hey, MCU is creatively bankrupt, so that could still happen .

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Basically, don't turn him into the little brother/Kitty Pryde archetype of the Marvel Universe. I still prefer him as established, but as long as he doesn't play that role, i can live with it.
    And it's weird to use Peter for this role when Miles is the more fitting one for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Doesn’t bother me at all considering it’s not really a new thing at all. The Ultimate Universe had all of Peter’s time as a hero being during his high school years, with Death of Spider-Man even taking place shortly after he had been Spider-Man for only a year. Compared to the likes of older heroes like the Ultimates, he was a rookie. Marvel Adventures also made use of Peter as a teenager in High School as did the mangaverse. It seems that more often than not that they use Peter as a teenager because he was basically Marvel’s original teen hero. Most teen hero that came before him had been someone’s sidekick rather than their own person even if they did break away from the hero. So even though 616 has an adult Peter, his high school life is kinda viewed as iconic with adaptions.
    It's only because of Ultimate that him staying a teenager became such a big deal, before that adaptations didn't really care about him being a teenager, which's not surprising considering how high school was only kinda there in Ditko's run, Ultimate was ridiculous with how he refused to age, so that stayed iconic lol.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 11-11-2021 at 05:25 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    X-Men would be more difficult, yeah, but Spidey could always be older, hell, his debut even has him being already an active hero, so if they wanted, putting some more years under his belt wouldn't be far fetched.
    Even then, he couldn't have been around for too long. One or two years tops.

He is all over New York and him and his villains are very flashy.