Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    It's not just that for me. I think my biggest problem in hindsight with the Holland films is when you stop and think about it, the supporting character he has the most defined relationship with is Happy. It's Happy who gives him the pep talk about becoming his own hero in Far From Home, not Ned (who they desperately wanted to rip off Ganke Lee but didn't bother to make him a true confidant) not MJ (who's romantic subplot with Pete is supposed to be really significant in this movie) and not even Aunt May who's arguably had even less to do than the previous two incarnations of Aunt May.

And in Homecoming, the character Pete has his heart to heart with is the freakin A.I. Tony built for him.

Compare and contrast that with that Miles Morales PS4 game. Where it covers the same discussion of Miles wanting to live up to Pete's shadow but they never undercut his relationships with Ganke, his mom and Uncle Aaron. In fact they reinforce different perspectives on it.
    I like Happy but he has Tony's kid to worry about now, he really has no reason to be another adult figure in his life other than to double down on the Iron Man connection.

And squandering Aunt May even more than the Garfield movies is kind of hilariously bad.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    It's not just that for me. I think my biggest problem in hindsight with the Holland films is when you stop and think about it, the supporting character he has the most defined relationship with is Happy. It's Happy who gives him the pep talk about becoming his own hero in Far From Home, not Ned (who they desperately wanted to rip off Ganke Lee but didn't bother to make him a true confidant) not MJ (who's romantic subplot with Pete is supposed to be really significant in this movie) and not even Aunt May who's arguably had even less to do than the previous two incarnations of Aunt May.

And in Homecoming, the character Pete has his heart to heart with is the freakin A.I. Tony built for him.

Compare and contrast that with that Miles Morales PS4 game. Where it covers the same discussion of Miles wanting to live up to Pete's shadow but they never undercut his relationships with Ganke, his mom and Uncle Aaron. In fact they reinforce different perspectives on it.
    That's a very good point as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I like Happy but he has Tony's kid to worry about now, he really has no reason to be another adult figure in his life other than to double down on the Iron Man connection.

And squandering Aunt May even more than the Garfield movies is kind of hilariously bad.
    At least in the second ASM film, Aunt May got to reaffirm her relationship with Peter in spite of him constantly obsessing over what happened to his parents. I'm hoping No Way Home lets this Aunt May finally get something (more) to do in regards to her relationship with MCU Peter.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Amazing Member

I think the Fantastic Four and the X-Men being new heroes hurt them more than Spiderman Fantastic Four is the Marvel first family

Astonishing Member

It can be annoying, but it's not insurmountable.

Part of the problem is that most adaptations start at the beginning, which is the high school years, and then simply don't last long enough to get to explore his adulthood, especially post-college. The Raimi films, for instance, cover a chronological span of about 2-3 years of Peter's life, from the end of his high school days to some way into college, and I'm sure if we'd have gotten Raimi's Spider-Man 4, we would have seen Peter out of college and likely married to MJ. With Marc Webb's series too, Peter would have likely been in college by the third installment which never came. Granted, I can't speak for the recent cartoons which may have been designed to keep Peter in high school in perpetuity, but at least when it comes to the film adaptations the problem was simply that the clock kept getting turned back via reboots.

One advantage of the MCU is that they use an approximation of real-time. Even with the post-Endgame Blip pushing the can down the road, eventually the MCU will progress beyond 2024, and so, necessarily, will Tom Holland's Peter Parker. So there's no way Marvel and Sony can get around Peter being a college student, and then getting older - as long as the MCU is around, there will be no reboot and turning back of the clock. And if Peter is a student at the Empire State University, or working as a scientist at, say, Horizon Labs, in a blockbuster film, you can bet that status quo will become a lot more popular among casual audiences and will make its way into cartoons and video games and merchanise and so on.
    Last edited by bat39; 12-12-2021 at 12:21 PM.

Astonishing Member

I don't think we'll get a post-college Peter until the 7th installment. 6th at a push. But if Tom Holland decides to leave the role at some point, would they recast Peter Parker, or would they pass the torch to Miles Morales?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I don't think we'll get a post-college Peter until the 7th installment. 6th at a push. But if Tom Holland decides to leave the role at some point, would they recast Peter Parker, or would they pass the torch to Miles Morales?
    A third option is Ben Reilly. You could do a meta story about recasting. Ben pops up thinking he's Peter but he's in a different body. May passes him off as her other nephew Ben Reilly.

But I think Miles and the other Spiders are the easiest options.

There's also the Slingers but that's more of a deep cut. If anything they might just use the Slinger mantles for Miles and the others. For example, Miles is Richochet, Gwen is Dusk, Flash is Prodigy and Cindy is Hornet.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    A third option is Ben Reilly. You could do a meta story about recasting. Ben pops up thinking he's Peter but he's in a different body. May passes him off as her other nephew Ben Reilly.
    If he's not an identical clone, then he's not really Ben Reilly anymore. Where would Peter be during this story? What exactly is Ben if he has Peter's spider powers and memories, but someone else's body?

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    There's also the Slingers but that's more of a deep cut. If anything they might just use the Slinger mantles for Miles and the others. For example, Miles is Richochet, Gwen is Dusk, Flash is Prodigy and Cindy is Hornet.
    Why would they take popular characters like Miles and Gwen and give them the costumes/names/powers of significantly less popular characters?

If Miles replaces Peter then he's going to be Spider-Man. Gwen is going to be Ghost-Spider/Spider-Woman/Spider-Gwen. Silk is Silk.

If they ever want to do a Slingers film then they can just do a Slingers film. There's nothing gained from arbitrarily merging characters and halving their options.

Do we really need another high school Spider-Man in the context of the MCU?

If he's not an identical clone, then he's not really Ben Reilly anymore. Where would Peter be during this story? What exactly is Ben if he has Peter's spider powers and memories, but someone else's body?

Why would they take popular characters like Miles and Gwen and give them the costumes/names/powers of significantly less popular characters?

If Miles replaces Peter then he's going to be Spider-Man. Gwen is going to be Ghost-Spider/Spider-Woman/Spider-Gwen. Silk is Silk.

If they ever want to do a Slingers film then they can just do a Slingers film. There's nothing gained from arbitrarily merging characters and halving their options.
    I didn't think it through. Peter could be dead and cloned by Warren. Instead of Ben, Kaine works better. He suffers from degradation and is disfigured. So you can tease the audience and the characters about whether or not he was Peter in the first place. He could even have implanted memories.

The MCU streamlines characters so they could decide the mantles are more important. It's not a necessity but just a thought I had.

I'm fine Sony doing a Slingers film because it could be their own Avengers like group. I rather the Slingers get a project made before Kraven gets a solo.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-12-2021 at 03:51 PM.

Astonishing Member

Going by the MCU's plans at the moment, Miles is a far likelier candidate than a recast/rebooted Peter. The MCU is working towards replacing the OG's with more diverse legacy characters, so I can't see them not doing that with Spider-Man, who arguably has the most famous and successful diverse legacy character of the lot! And frankly I'd take Miles Morales over another teenaged Peter Parker any day.

Then again, with the Multiverse coming in, who knows how things will go and for how long the 'main' MCU as we know it remains the primary continuity. If Marvel gives us a recast and rebooted Tony Stark at some point, we'll likely get Peter Parker too. And that's where we need to worry about him being a high-schooler again...

If Peter gets a new trilogy, it might have college age Peter mentoring Miles as an ongoing subplot.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-13-2021 at 06:51 AM.

Astonishing Member

Do we really need another high school Spider-Man in the context of the MCU?
    What do you think is likely?

How many movies do you predict Tom Holland will stick around for?

Do you think they will recast Peter Parker?

Do you think they'll never introduce Miles Morales in live action?

Do you think they'll introduce a Miles Morales who's already an adult?

What do you think is likely?

How many movies do you predict Tom Holland will stick around for?
    It probably depends a lot on him and Sony. I think he might have a few more solo movies and 1-2 more guest spots.
    Do you think they will recast Peter Parker?
    Without the MCU? Maybe.
    Do you think they'll never introduce Miles Morales in live action?
    No, but there may not be a pressing need with the ITSV movies having their own cinematic Miles.

Do you think they'll introduce a Miles Morales who's already an adult?
    It would be one way to differentiate him from Peter.
    Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Going by the MCU's plans at the moment, Miles is a far likelier candidate than a recast/rebooted Peter. The MCU is working towards replacing the OG's with more diverse legacy characters, so I can't see them not doing that with Spider-Man, who arguably has the most famous and successful diverse legacy character of the lot! And frankly I'd take Miles Morales over another teenaged Peter Parker any day.

Then again, with the Multiverse coming in, who knows how things will go and for how long the 'main' MCU as we know it remains the primary continuity. If Marvel gives us a recast and rebooted Tony Stark at some point, we'll likely get Peter Parker too. And that's where we need to worry about him being a high-schooler again...
    The way they've handled MCU Peter, I can't see an MCU Miles not feeling redundant beyond his race. Like, how are they going to handle Ganke?

Astonishing Member

The way they've handled MCU Peter, I can't see an MCU Miles not feeling redundant beyond his race. Like, how are they going to handle Ganke?
    I agree that Ganke might be an issue.

Beyond that, I do genuienly believe that Miles Morales isn't the same character as MCU Peter Parker. That's what makes Miles a more successful legacy character than many of the 'woke' gender-bent and race-bent legacy characters. For starters, him being inspired by the original Spider-Man is a significant part of his character. His powers are slightly different (the invisibility and venom blast in particular). His family backgroud is different - in particular the idea that his uncle is a super-villain.

I think how they handle Miles will of course depend a lot on how they handle Peter beyond NWH. I feel it makes more sense to introduce Miles in a setting where Peter is a more experienced and veteran superhero. Yeah I know the Ultimate Universe with its extreme decompression had a 16-17 year old Peter who died, but decompression notwithstanding he was certainly presented as a veteran hero and a living legend within that universe. I don't feel that the MCU Spider-Man has achieved that yet.

Astonishing Member

It would be one way to differentiate him from Peter.
    If Spider-Man 4-6 are about Peter's college years, then he'll be in his early 20s by the end of movie 6.

If movie 7 has Miles in his early 20s, then that's not a differentiation from Spider-Man's age in the previous movie. And there aren't any comics to adapt for an adult Miles Morales anyway, he's a teenage character.

If they wanted to use age to differentiate the two, then they could be faithful to the comics by having Miles become Spider-Man at age 13. I don't think that's likely though, I think they'd probably hire an 18+ year old actor to play a 16 year old Miles.