Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Extraordinary Member

I like the writing enough, don't like the art.

Also Ben needs to up his game, Peter was handeling 25-35 villains at the same time after a massive beatdown on him and then went on to kick the ass of 2 Kindreds.

I feel like Ben is coming off way less competent than he should be.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Agreed.I don't expect him to be current Peter level, but he still has a lot of that experience.The dialogue sounds like something you would say to Miles, this Ben should mop the floor w/ Miles.Specially bad looking for Ben because he has that fancy suit

Astonishing Member

Yeah. I'll take 'way less competent' over 'way more evil' as he came off when Slott/PAD wrote him, but yes it is becoming an issue. I feel like the Beyond writers (besides Wells) don't really know, care about or understand Ben. They're jobbing him in order to elevate and empower some female characters, that honestly come off as pet-projects for some writers as they're not even connected to the Spider franchise. I wouldn't be surprised if all this 'Daughters of the Dragon' malarky was being used to springboard a future DoD mini (or even ongoing) by Thompson. If they wanted a braintrust of writers for this event, why not bring back some of the original creative minds that loved and got Ben, like Todd Dezago?

Oh well, it is what it is.... characters can come back from being depicted incompetent. At least he isn't being portrayed as evil again as I initially feared he would be in Beyond. Just hope he has some better moments against Kraven.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Yeah. I'll take 'way less competent' over 'way more evil' as he came off when Slott/PAD wrote him, but yes it is becoming an issue. I feel like the Beyond writers (besides Wells) don't really know, care about or understand Ben. They're jobbing him in order to elevate and empower some female characters, that honestly come off as pet-projects for some writers as they're not even connected to the Spider franchise. I wouldn't be surprised if all this 'Daughters of the Dragon' malarky was being used to springboard a future DoD mini (or even ongoing) by Thompson. If they wanted a braintrust of writers for this event, why not bring back some of the original creative minds that loved and got Ben, like Todd Dezago?

Oh well, it is what it is.... characters can come back from being depicted incompetent. At least he isn't being portrayed as evil again as I initially feared he would be in Beyond. Just hope he has some better moments against Kraven.
    I remember Wells being part of the BND Brain Trust and how Peter's competence and effectiveness as a hero could be so spotty arc-by-arc. Seems like that's happening with Ben again.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post

Considering Kraven's going to through him through an hallucionary spiral I doubt it lol.

And they had Peter job to Ben in first issue and now Ben's jobbing to everyone else.Hopefully it's not a consistent thing lol

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Considering Kraven's going to through him through an hallucionary spiral I doubt it lol.

And they had Peter job to Ben in first issue and now Ben's jobbing to everyone else.Hopefully it's not a consistent thing lol
    This is why they’re the Parker Bros. They both get screwed over in similar ways, whether it’s jobbing to writer’s pets, making bad deals with Mephisto, getting killed and resurrected, etc.

Mighty Member

The Peter Parker treatment

I don't mind Ben losing againts Morbius and having to retread, but i wish that he has better showing or at least that he looked like he was winning for a moment just for Morbius to surprise him and turn the tables on him.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    The Peter Parker treatment
    This lol.
    Atleast Peter has enough showings to show that he's jobbing when he is

I remember Wells being part of the BND Brain Trust and how Peter's competence and effectiveness as a hero could be so spotty arc-by-arc. Seems like that's happening with Ben again.
    Should we start calling this arc "Beyond New Day?" .

Oh well, I said I would start calling him "Jobben" if he looked like a chump again and it happened depressingly faster than I expected...

Astonishing Member

Art looks kinda like Pichelli's latest issues

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I don't mind Ben losing againts Morbius and having to retread, but i wish that he has better showing or at least that he looked like he was winning for a moment just for Morbius to surprise him and turn the tables on him.
    That would make more sense, and in TV Tropes parlance, that would be the "Curb-Stomp Cushion," where one character in a fight still loses pretty decisively, but manages to get in some good hits before "taking the L." That said, I do have some hope that the issue as a whole turns out better than it seems so far.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Does they .bey mean anything or is it just an alternate cover?