Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Does they .bey mean anything or is it just an alternate cover?
    Short for Beyond, I guess? (I remember the half issues during Last Remains had the .LR designation) I don’t care for it though. It reminds me of that annoying term “bae” that kids used to call each other a few years ago. They should just make it a separate one-shot like ‘Beyond: Daughters of the Dragon’ or whatever.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Short for Beyond, I guess? (I remember the half issues during Last Remains had the .LR designation) I don’t care for it though. It reminds me of that annoying term “bae” that kids used to call each other a few years ago. They should just make it a separate one-shot like ‘Beyond: Daughters of the Dragon’ or whatever.
    That is what it is.It's been around for a while. 16.HU was hunted(on one of the best Spider-man/Black Cat stories written) and we had .AU for age of ultron etc.

Fantastic Member

Being one of the old foges in the room who was around during Ben’s original run, I *loved* how they had him beat the crap out of Venom where Peter couldn’t, but doing so because he was effectively a different Spider-Man than Peter and had none of the mental/emotional baggage around Venom. I would prefer seeing more of that kind of thing, where the fights are different (not lesser) because it “is” Peter and isn’t at the same time. Vs it being like “well, looks like I’m about to get a beat down…if only I was as good as Pete”
    "Mutationem Aeternum"
    Krakoan and Proud

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jness View Post
    Being one of the old foges in the room who was around during Ben’s original run, I *loved* how they had him beat the crap out of Venom where Peter couldn’t, but doing so because he was effectively a different Spider-Man than Peter and had none of the mental/emotional baggage around Venom. I would prefer seeing more of that kind of thing, where the fights are different (not lesser) because it “is” Peter and isn’t at the same time. Vs it being like “well, looks like I’m about to get a beat down…if only I was as good as Pete”
    Wasn't that because of his Spidey sense? He should be able to sense Venom since he didn't bond w/ the symbiote IIRC.Not to mention that was their "Ben validating himself as Spidey" arc, good but having him beat someone from Spidey's rogue's gallery like that again doesn't have the same impact since Ben isn't insecure here.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Wasn't that because of his Spidey sense? He should be able to sense Venom since he didn't bond w/ the symbiote IIRC.Not to mention that was their "Ben validating himself as Spidey" arc, good but having him beat someone from Spidey's rogue's gallery like that again doesn't have the same impact since Ben isn't insecure here.
    https://imgur.com/a/wTqsW

doesnt look like spider sense played that much of a role in here
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post

This is from your link, he outright states it does.

I should point out Spider-sense is a instantaneous reflex, any movement he makes here is aided by Spider-sense and not just when the artist feels like drawing it on the page.

I like how he takes him down as well, don't know if it makes much sense but it's cool nonetheless.

ah i cant read lol. but reading the rest of the fight i cant see why Peter cant do any of this as long as he got a visual on venom at all times.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

That was a really good Ben story. I sometimes think Ben has changed too much to be the same Ben I loved back then, but then again Peter is also completely different. We just don’t realize it as much because he never went away. I guess what I really miss is some of the creatives who gave Ben his voice at the time… at least we’ll get some of that back when JM DeMatteis does his Ben mini next year.

Extraordinary Member

ah i cant read lol. but reading the rest of the fight i cant see why Peter cant do any of this as long as he got a visual on venom at all times.
    Absolutely, specially since popping open a web cartridge is like impact webbing times 100x(he used it on Blob and it contained him)

Also Peter's physical prowess in modern comics against Venom

https://i.4cdn.org/co/1636928392421.png

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    That was a really good Ben story. I sometimes think Ben has changed too much to be the same Ben I loved back then, but then again Peter is also completely different. We just don’t realize it as much because he never went away. I guess what I really miss is some of the creatives who gave Ben his voice at the time… at least we’ll get some of that back when JM DeMatteis does his Ben mini next year.
    Was gonna that JMD mini is going to be something special
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 11-15-2021 at 08:28 AM.

Extraordinary Member

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/11/15/th...78-bey-review/

Disappointing for Ben fans, Issue is mostly Misty and Colleen.Shame since Mckay was writing it.

Also Misty and Colleen unironically getting more action than Ben so far

Side note but I love early reviews so much, honestly helps expectations.

Absolutely, specially since popping open a web cartridge is like impact webbing times 100x(he used it on Blob and it contained him)

Was gonna that JMD mini is going to be something special
    Uhh... Daniel Way Venom, that comic is butt. I only needed to read 4 pages to know that it was gonna be butt and i wasn't dissapointed lol.

Still, nice moment, althought it doesn't make much sense. A better Venom story would be their encounter in the Spider-Family anthology book when they had pretty intense but short fight, especially liked Peter response to Eddie's reasoning.

"Eddie, the only person in this run that has threatened my wife is you".
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jness View Post
    Yeah, I'd love those kinds of comparisons. One of the biggest mistakes of the 90s Clone Saga was taking so many classic Spidey villains off the table, because it was always interesting to see how Ben would handle them differently based on his perspective. Like the story where he went after Sandman because he didn't know he was reformed.

Ben was able to take Venom out because of his newly invented stingers and impact webbing.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Uhh... Daniel Way Venom, that comic is butt. I only needed to read 4 pages to know that it was gonna be butt and i wasn't dissapointed lol.

Still, nice moment, althought it doesn't make much sense. A better Venom story would be their encounter in the Spider-Family anthology book when they had pretty intense but short fight, especially liked Peter response to Eddie's reasoning.

"Eddie, the only person in this run that has threatened my wife is you".
    That fight was so good.The moment they knew they would start brawling, Eddie getting first hit and Peter taking him to town.Short and full of action, loved it.

That line is badass in a diff. way, it's Peter showing that it's not all water under the bridge and that he's more than willing to teach Venom a lesson if he steps out of line.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Yeah, I'd love those kinds of comparisons. One of the biggest mistakes of the 90s Clone Saga was taking so many classic Spidey villains off the table, because it was always interesting to see how Ben would handle them differently based on his perspective. Like the story where he went after Sandman because he didn't know he was reformed.
    They were trying to set him up long term IIRC, he can't take everything from Peter.An original rogue's gallery is a great idea and something other legacy Spider-man characters like Miles sorely lacks.

Ben was able to take Venom out because of his newly invented stingers and impact webbing.
    I did post the scan where he dodges Venom' attacks because of his Spider-sense.Wouldn't be able to use those if he got tagged by those

Funny how one of those panels says "Web of Life".

Reminder that at the very beginning of Clone Saga, a cover mentioned "Spiderverse":

Funny how stuff like that becomes accidentaly prophetic.

Venom in earlier fights occasionally used the fact Spider-Sense doesn't work on him, so even when Peter can see him, he tried to be sneaky, usually making a tentacle go inside the ground to try to grab Peter:

(ASM#317)

(ASM#333)

Although that's not something he does it frequently during a battle, he did have a habit of sneaking up on Spidey before the battle though, sometimes he attacked right away, other times he let Spidey know he's around to scare him, it's still worth pointing out that on the one time Venom was sneaky in this battle against Ben, Spider-Sense saved Ben.

Another big reason Ben managed to win is because of the gadgets he came up with, which is 100% something that supports Ben's character, since he was creative enough to come up with something besides the simple webs Peter mostly uses and hardly changes, so the victory mostly goes to Ben's creativity, kudos to him.

Man that's just boring lol.

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/11/15/th...78-bey-review/

Disappointing for Ben fans, Issue is mostly Misty and Colleen.Shame since Mckay was writing it.

Also Misty and Colleen unironically getting more action than Ben so far

Side note but I love early reviews so much, honestly helps expectations.
    Ben getting replaced on the arc where he replaces Peter is peak irony lol.

Astonishing Member

Well… the reviewer gave it a 9.5 so I’ll give it a shot (although the last few years, there’s been a few reviewers who seem to dole out high scores as long as a comic ticks off boxes on a ‘woke’ checklist, so I hope that isn’t the case here).