Page 281 of 333 FirstFirst ... 181231271277278279280281282283284285291331 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,215 of 4984
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, for a given definition of "alive" when it comes to Moira...and definitely not depicted well.

I think they added something by their existence and the kind of characters and perspective they added to the series and universe.

Again, I get what Beau was going for, and it was depicted as effectively viscerally and brutally as possible, I just tend to err on the side of keeping characters alive.
    I normally agree, but in a finite storyline like this, I don't really see how having those characters alive but relegated to random cameos is more vital than telling a good story. If they didn't do the episode the way they did and played it safe, it would be pretty unremarkable and devoid of meaning. Even in the comics, it was so impersonal (and you knew Magneto wasn't gone) that it wasn't especially shocking or upsetting. You kinda went "Oh, damn" and moved on.

This episode has been huge and caused all these emotional reactions from people. Two of my friends, middle aged men, were weeping over the episode. It's the most talked about episode of the show. That wouldn't have happened if they hadn't taken those chances and had some fatalities. And I feel like it would be a disservice to the story and what it represents to have all of the characters we know magically survive this horrific massacre.

Since earlier today, I've been thinking about the claim some people defensive of this cartoon's poor work have made - the claim that Polaris (and other characters insultingly excluded) isn't integral to the story of the Genoshan genocide. Let's go along with this thinking. Let's say I buy into it fully. Here's where that takes me.

Magneto isn't integral to the story of the Genoshan genocide.

When we get right down to it, why was Genosha targeted? Why did the genocide happen?

It didn't happen because Magneto was there. It happened because mutants had a nation to themselves and outside forces considered mutants having their own nation to be a threat, alongside hatred of mutants having no small part. You don't need Magneto there to tell that story. That story might even be told better WITHOUT him anywhere near the island. Put a different character at the head of it that outside entities wouldn't be so justified to distrust. Making Magneto the leader of Genosha in X-Men 97 is senseless of Beau DeMayo and the people under him when they had carte blanche to do anything they wanted. They undermined their own story by making it align too closely with the comics.

So, you all agree with me, right? That Magneto not only isn't integral to this story, but actually undermines it.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Since earlier today, I've been thinking about the claim some people defensive of this cartoon's poor work have made - the claim that Polaris (and other characters insultingly excluded) isn't integral to the story of the Genoshan genocide. Let's go along with this thinking. Let's say I buy into it fully. Here's where that takes me.

When we get right down to it, why was Genosha targeted? Why did the genocide happen?

It didn't happen because Magneto was there. It happened because mutants had a nation to themselves and outside forces considered mutants having their own nation to be a threat, alongside hatred of mutants having no small part. You don't need Magneto there to tell that story. That story might even be told better WITHOUT him anywhere near the island. Put a different character at the head of it that outside entities wouldn't be so justified to distrust. Making Magneto the leader of Genosha in X-Men 97 is senseless of Beau DeMayo and the people under him when they had carte blanche to do anything they wanted. They undermined their own story by making it align too closely with the comics.

So, you all agree with me, right? That Magneto not only isn't integral to this story, but actually undermines it.
    How about just enjoying the story and watch it play out instead of all this?

X-Men are entering the MCU with a bang!!! I love it! The stories are captivating. I will say that Rogue and Wolverine may need some younger voice actors cause they both sound like old people at times

BANNED

Magneto had some of the most powerful scenes in the episode so, no, I doubt everyone will agree with you. He's also, unlike Lorna, a major character in the series. Lorna is not. Even in the comics, the story is important to Lorna. Lorna is not important to the story.

Your niche interest not being featured doesn't make the show "poor." That's such an entitled attitude to have. You're biased against the show and it's creators because your favorite isn't getting special treatment in a series where she was a one-time guest star. It's absurd.

Maybe just don't drive yourself and everybody else insane by demanding everything conform to your personal preferences and interests and just focus on Lorna-centric stuff.
    Last edited by Refrax5; 04-11-2024 at 06:19 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Wolverine: The Animated Series
    In every episode theres a special guest appearance from another Marvel franchise: Nick Fury, Deadpool, Captain America, Luke Cage, Hulk, Spider-Men
    Could be dope. Add in his x-family, alpha flight, silver samurai, cable, weapon x/plus, dr rot, omega red, maverick, cypher stuff and you could do a 26 ep season 1.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm721 View Post
    Could be dope. Add in his x-family, alpha flight, silver samurai, cable, weapon x/plus, dr rot, omega red, maverick, cypher stuff and you could do a 26 ep season 1.
    Agreed. Sounds like an awesome spinoff series. I’d watch the hell out of it.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by mbm721 View Post
    Not just his x-family, why not do stuff with his real family. Wolverine has several kids now.

I've been kinda quiet about it because I don't think he's terribly popular with the kinda posters on forums like this but I do like Daken and would like to see him animated. They could maybe do him better. Then there's X-23/Laura who is pretty popular, too.

You could definitely make several episodes out of this. Daken being a sort of tragic villain raised, not by dumb ol Romulus, but Sabretooth. Father and son fight to the death to amuse Victor. (Er, Graydon Creed Sr. in this) Laura could start as an antagonist, a brainwashed assassin, but get a happier ending there with Logan depgoramming her and she ends up living at the x-Mansion.

Just spitballing.
    Last edited by NK1988; 04-11-2024 at 07:03 PM.

I haven't watched a single episode yet but after what I'm hearing I'm gonna have to dive in. Haven't watched the original on 20 years but it seems like you can kinds go with the flow of it knowing Chuck died

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Wolverine: The Animated Series
    In every episode theres a special guest appearance from another Marvel franchise: Nick Fury, Deadpool, Captain America, Luke Cage, Hulk, Spider-Men
    So like a Marvel version of Batman: The Brave and The Bold

That would be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    So like a Marvel version of Batman: The Brave and The Bold

That would be awesome
    Wolverine: The Snikt and the Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Fantastic Member

I don't think he's integral to the story but I also don't think he undermines it. Just like I don't think Gambit and Rogue are integral to this story. They could have invited Jean, Storm, and Scott instead, killed off all three and it would still have the same impact. Now Lorna or Emma dying here in that manner would have severely undermined the story. You have to remember this show is for people who DO NOT read comics, so why would they be sad about either of those two, when they had zero presence in X-Men 97, and minimal presence in the previous series? What you should be more concerned with is where the show goes from here, because while you like to complain how important this story was for Emma and Lorna, you forget both of them were impacted as SURVIVORS of the attack, not fighters. Emma is presumably a survivor at the site. Meanwhile there is still the possibility of Lorna being on the island and us just not seeing her on screen, or for her to come in as a character who is furious at the death of her team mate Multiple Man.

I think you'd have more people be sympathetic to your viewpoint if your stance didn't sound like "I hate what this show did and everyone should hate it, too." I understand it can be sad when your favorite character isn't featured. It's like knowing the party of the year just happened, and you weren't invited. But objectively, it's hard to argue that this show isn't one of the most enjoyed adapted comic book properties at the moment. This particular episode trended #1 on social media when it debuted because of how blown away everyone was, and its online reviews are very high. When people provide counter arguments to your view, many of them are trying to get you to see past your anger, so you can join all the people who already enjoy the show.

The fact that Beau DeMayo is giving us dialogue straight from the comic books...
    When Jean found Scott and Madelyne and said, "Don't tell me...You can explain."
    Straight from Morrison's "New X-Men!"
    Mutant and Proud!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    The fact that Beau DeMayo is giving us dialogue straight from the comic books...
    When Jean found Scott and Madelyne and said, "Don't tell me...You can explain."
    Straight from Morrison's "New X-Men!"
    Just continuing the tradition from the OG show as they also did this, especially the Dark Phoenix Saga.