Page 197 of 349 FirstFirst ... 97147187193194195196197198199200201207247297 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,955 of 5235
    Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    If you're talking about the trailer, Sunspot wasn't in it.
    No I thought it would launch on 20 March, hence my ask on Sunspot's portrayal
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    X-Men was the one of, if not arguably the, only "woke" things in media in the 90s. That is what made it popular and why it is getting a revival now. I can not even fathom how these flatscans don't retain the messaging of X-Men at this point for them to accuse the series of going "woke". It's beyond unnecessary.
    Well, you've gotta remember that compared to other forms of media, comics are much smaller in exposure. None of the X-Men shows featured LGBTQ characters being openly LGBTQ, and out of all the movies, they only had Bobby's coded "Have you ever tried NOT being a mutant?" joke. To the non-readers who make up the majority of the audience, this really is coming out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    Well for season 2 I hope the writers have enough balls to incorporate the retcon and let Mystique and Destiny be Nightcrawler's biological parents. That would be fun.
    This would be amazing and I for one would be all for it. The Austen origin story for Kurt was dumb as hell and most of the folks that hate the new version or Kurt's origin (which is really the old one, if you know what I mean) are just weird right wing phobic types. It's oxymoronic that such people are fans of this franchise, TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    There's a fan-theory that Disher will voice Maddie. It's odd that we have TOYS confirming Maddie will be there.... but not the VA name.

One anomaly in the last season of TAS was that Jean shows up.... but they never explained how/why... it'd make a certain amount of sense if it was actually Maddie.
    Yeah, I'm thinking that this is the case. We'll just have to wait and see.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    So I personally know a friend who I used to lend him comics to read alot being X-MEN and for the last few years, he wont give Disney his money for being woke and he won't give X-MEN 97 a try due to the Morph being non binary despite enjoying the original 90s series. I called him out of it for not being a poser fan who don't get the main theme or message of X-MEN while my other friend, another chud defended him saying that there's anyway you can enjoy a franchise justifying how he's a huge Gundam fan but its themes is pacifism which he don't agree with, and it doesn't make him less of a fan the same way the other chud is a X-men fan despite all he enjoy is cool costumes, and battles with aliens and giant robots. What you think. do I have a right to call him a poser x-men fan or not a true fan. I been both friends are chuds who are MAGA and has fucked up views.
    I'm personally opposed to this notion that you 'cannot' be a fan of the X-men (or any other media franchise that's perceived as being 'progressive' or 'left-leaning'...Doctor Who and Star Trek are other examples that spring to mind) if you do not wholeheartedly support every opinion held by the activists, political leaders, and media/corporate elites who currently hold sway over 'progressive' or 'left-wing' discource. Or that there's some immutable binary between being a perfect 'progressive' or a perfect 'conservative' (or, to use the progressive parlance, 'bigot' or 'deplorable'), which can be perfectly mapped onto being 'good' or 'evil'.

Also, my two cents on the usage of the term 'woke', because its often used to describe two (or more) completely different things. There are people, including on this thread, who use 'woke' as a synonym for 'liberal', 'progressive' or 'tolerant' (which means that being anti-woke is by definition being illiberal, regressive and intolerant). Whereas many people, including myself, use the term 'woke' to describe what is essentially a kind of neo-Marxist construct wherein the world is divided into permanent 'oppressor' and 'oppressed' groups, and the 'oppressed' groups need to be empowered to fight and dominate the 'oppressor' groups (who's an 'oppressor' and who's 'oppressed' being determined by political/business expediency).

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    If you exclude people for not sharing your exact views on complex situations, you are not some champion of inclusion either. The right wing and the left wing are simply two aspects of the same beast.

X-Men are not without flaws, be they the films, shows, or comics. One person can love the 60's era, another Claremont's run, another Lobdell's 90's, another Morrison's, another Carey's, another Hickman's, another Ewing's, and hate all the other writers' runs. One person can be a huge fan of Emma, another thinks she's a callous villain at heart. One person can love Wolverine, another thinks he's a psychotic creep. One person can love Morph as a non-binary person, another think's Morph's best as a funny man womanizer, yet another likes Morph best as a PTSD survivor taking his time to recuperate.

The various presentations are never consistent across the board, so why would people appreciate the exact same aspects? If X-Men has any central message, it's that the planet is big enough for everyone, bigots included. The X-Men fight for those who hate and fear them. Republicans included.
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Intolerance is intolerance. The bigot your reject today could pull you out of a ditch tomorrow. The downtrodden you uplift could stab you in the back. The moral high ground can sometimes be a slippery slope and bite you in the butt, but that's the price that is paid.
    True. And I think the best X-men stories (and the best stories in general) are the ones which try to capture this complexity.

I feel that's why there are (or at least were...its been awhile since I've been part of one of those discussions) a not insignificant contingent of fans who felt uncomfortable with the Krakoa era - because it upset their simplistic worldview of permanent 'oppressor' and 'oppressed' groups.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    It makes sense that a shapeshifter who could be male, female, neither, or both simultaneously at will would have a more fluid understanding of their sex and gender. It's not surprising that Mystique has been with men and women as well.

Also, Beau Demayo, the showrunner, explained in his Instagram stories that while Morph will be nonbinary and use they/them pronouns, the term nonbinary isn't being used because it wasn't widely known or used during the 90s.
    Now that part is the only thing I can't buy about the Morph storyline. I mean look it's set in the late 90s, people were even more ignorant then than they still are now. Characters using the correct pronouns then is unbelievable.

But whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    Now that part is the only thing I can't buy about the Morph storyline. I mean look it's set in the late 90s, people were even more ignorant then than they still are now. Characters using the correct pronouns then is unbelievable.

But whatever.
    Tbh I feel like the X-Men would still be up for using Morph's preferred pronouns. They're Morph's friends and the X-Men would know not to judge people for being different, even if they might not fully understand it. Not that mutants can't be ignorant or intolerant of others, but it's perfectly reasonable for them to be cool with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    This would be amazing and I for one would be all for it. The Austen origin story for Kurt was dumb as hell and most of the folks that hate the new version or Kurt's origin (which is really the old one, if you know what I mean) are just weird right wing phobic types. It's oxymoronic that such people are fans of this franchise, TBH.
    Very oxymoronic my friend. Totally agree, do it the way Claremont intended. Even the way they left Mystique and Kurt could work.

She survived her fall in the water, she cried watching Kurt and Rogue, knowing full well she lied to Kurt about how he came to be. It also dredges up for her memories of her beloved Irene and you just take the story from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Tbh I feel like the X-Men would still be up for using Morph's preferred pronouns. They're Morph's friends and the X-Men would know not to judge people for being different, even if they might not fully understand it. Not that mutants can't be ignorant or intolerant of others, but it's perfectly reasonable for them to be cool with it.
    When you put it that way, that is very reasonable and believable.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Also, my two cents on the usage of the term 'woke', because its often used to describe two (or more) completely different things. There are people, including on this thread, who use 'woke' as a synonym for 'liberal', 'progressive' or 'tolerant' (which means that being anti-woke is by definition being illiberal, regressive and intolerant). Whereas many people, including myself, use the term 'woke' to describe what is essentially a kind of neo-Marxist construct wherein the world is divided into permanent 'oppressor' and 'oppressed' groups, and the 'oppressed' groups need to be empowered to fight and dominate the 'oppressor' groups (who's an 'oppressor' and who's 'oppressed' being determined by political/business expediency).
    And then you have "woke" types who try to suppress everything they dislike. "You disagree with us, therefore you're bad and not allowed to share your opinion!"

But yeah that kinda works alongside the "oppressor" thing a lot of the time. The ranting on social media is all about competing for dominance.

https://twitter.com/XMenUpdate/statu...24198847668507
    ‘X-MEN '97’ trailer set an internal Disney record as the biggest launch for an animated series on Disney Plus.
    though there isn't a ton of animation that disney puts out nowadays

If it wasn't obvious before, the X-Men 97 definitely went viral and got a lot of people's attention.

I'm curious how the Hellfire Club will factor into the plot, since I think we have an idea of what's going on with Sinister and the Sentinels.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    And then you have "woke" types who try to suppress everything they dislike. "You disagree with us, therefore you're bad and not allowed to share your opinion!"

But yeah that kinda works alongside the "oppressor" thing a lot of the time. The ranting on social media is all about competing for dominance.
    True.

And honestly, I'm okay with the social media ranting - which is just another way we all express our right to free speech and open debate.

The problem is that, in recent years, some of this 'competing for dominance' has gone far beyond the realm of ranting, with institutional power (be it government, media or corporate) being leveraged to target people with views that the 'woke' disagree with. And now we're seeing some pushback against this...pushback which, in many cases, unfortunately, throws the baby out with the bathwater and sets us a little back in terms of tolerance and acceptance of diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post

If it wasn't obvious before, the X-Men 97 definitely went viral and got a lot of people's attention.
    The trailer really took off and people are STILL talking about it on social media.

We're back sugah.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    True.

And honestly, I'm okay with the social media ranting - which is just another way we all express our right to free speech and open debate.

The problem is that, in recent years, some of this 'competing for dominance' has gone far beyond the realm of ranting, with institutional power (be it government, media or corporate) being leveraged to target people with views that the 'woke' disagree with. And now we're seeing some pushback against this...pushback which, in many cases, unfortunately, throws the baby out with the bathwater and sets us a little back in terms of tolerance and acceptance of diversity.
    Yeah, it's not "tolerance" if you only "tolerate" people you like.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post

Between that, Deadpool & Wolverine's trailer views and Bob Iger's comments about how Marvel will prioritize their biggest franchises going forward, it's hard not to speculate that Disney might fast-track more X-Men stuff in the near future instead of jerking around and making us wait until 202X for a proper X-Men reboot.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm curious how the Hellfire Club will factor into the plot, since I think we have an idea of what's going on with Sinister and the Sentinels.

the funny thing is on their last appearance Shaw declared they will be back… never to return lol
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.