Page 95 of 322 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105145195 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 4818
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Don't hold your breath for Krakoa on X-Men 97:
    Well it IS controversial among many X-men comic readers overall, with opinions divided into many different perspectives.

Some didn't like (or downright hated) it from the start, some loved it at first but became negative or disapointed over time, some started negative but became somewhat interested over time, some loved it and still do and then there are those who are on seveal different spectrums of opinions over it, but don't have any hopes for it because the past 22 years of mismanagement of the X-men comics has made them jaded.

And that's just what we can gather from online opinions which are notoriously foggy in terms of what they indicate about the larger consumer base of a product.

Not to forget that the modern X-men comic fanbase or readership (yes those two aren't necessary the same set of people) is apparently a rather small and non-indicative group regarding the taste of what the wider fanbase of X-men movies, cartoons, toys and video games will like, because the modern comics just aren't the core of the X-men franchise anymore.

Together with the current era being untested in terms of longterm opinion or how people will feel about it looking back, i consider it the best move to currently sidestep and avoid it for animated adaptions.

Once it has run it's course, it would be a good idea to look back and see what worked, which could then be distilled into an adapation to the screen.

The risk is simply too big that the viewership will collectivley go "The hell is that? That's not X-men." and will go back to watching Arcane Season 2, the new Dark Wing Duck or a hypothetical faithfull reboot of Gargoyles instead.
    Last edited by Grunty; 08-13-2022 at 05:11 AM.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post

The risk is simply too big that the viewership will collectivley go "The hell is that? That's not X-men." and will go back to watching Arcane Season 2, the new Dark Wing Duck or a hypothetical faithfull reboot of Gargoyles instead.
    People said the same thing about a lot of controversial things- Hickman Avengers run, Jane Foster as Thor, Sam Wilson as Captain America, etc, that Marvel adapted or is adapting now. "It will never work onscreen", "the average viewer won't care", etc. If anything, we have seen characters that weren't popular on comics- Ant-Man, Blade, GotG- explode, while everything that was popular become even more so.

Of course, to be fair, at least in the Jane thing, Marvel did remove the things that were more controversial with readers- Thor become unworthy, why did the hammer chose Jane when it's supposed to be a weapon for a warrior, etc- so that can certainly happen if or when Krakoa is adapted as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    To be fair, the original show wasn't a stranger to retcons, like how they met Angel in one episode, and a later episode revealed that he was one of the original X-Men. Like yeah they probably want to avoid major retcons, but I doubt most people would remember or care about one small thing Psylocke said. So they could easily make it Kwannon and ignore that line and it's implication. Or give Kwannon a brother because why not.

Personally, I hope we get both Betsy and Kwannon. They could even have an episode where it's revealed that they switched bodies, and the goal of the day is to get them to switch back - something that acknowledges a huge part of their shared history, but without going into detail or the implications about it.
    Well, I do have to question why Betsy Braddock would be trying to steal Warren Worthington's money. Makes more sense for Kwannon.

BANNED

Speaking of nostalgia, some seem to be forgetting that arguably [and purposely?], a narrative was established claiming the X-Men IP had been repeatedly & routinely diminished... over the last 2 decades or so, in the comics [and elsewhere?], prior to the Krakoan [at 1st?] revitalization [and DizMar's reacquisition of their full rights?].

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Don't hold your breath for Krakoa on X-Men 97:

Attachment 123859

https://twitter.com/beau_demayo/stat...pUkhh4OVUjDVyg
    Given that picking up where X-Men TAS left off will mean taking us way, way back into the 90's era of comics, I really don't care if he dislikes the Krakoa era. He's not alone, lots of fans have had their issues with it. And I don't expect the show to go anywhere near what's happening in the comics now. Maybe they'll adapt some more recent stories ("more recent" meaning sometime in the last 10-15 years), but Krakoa would be a big change. This show is gonna be X-Men nostalgia, and I'm okay with that.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Exactly. i don't think anyone was really expecting it since this is a continuation and we don't even know what reception will be so i don't get the shooting yourself in the foot or drawing attention to things before neccessary because now let's say Disney goes "we want krakoa" he may have caused himself a job as now it's documented he isn't comfortable with it and i just know from history people will use that to bury him in regards to it's quality. but whatevers. sometimes i try to get too ahead of things to make people aware. lol *ninja vanish*
    People also expecting Krakoa in the MCU to start off will likely be similarly disappointed

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    People said the same thing about a lot of controversial things- Hickman Avengers run, Jane Foster as Thor, Sam Wilson as Captain America, etc, that Marvel adapted or is adapting now. "It will never work onscreen", "the average viewer won't care", etc. If anything, we have seen characters that weren't popular on comics- Ant-Man, Blade, GotG- explode, while everything that was popular become even more so.
    Fair points.

Though a noticable pattern here is that most of these involve properties and characters which weren't allready well known by a mainstream audience.

After several movies, cartoon shows and at least one life action series (i'm really not sure we can count Mutant X), there is a much greater amount of familiarity even among the casual audience regarding major elements and characters of the X-men which in turn puts a much stronger limitation on how far the audience is potentialy willing to accept drastic alterations and changes, unless it's the whole point of the story (like the What If...).

Basicly they have a lot more freedom regarding secondary and lesser known characters/stories of the X-men, while changing the big players and their motivations or goals also creates a much bigger risk of alienation.

However the entire point of HOX/POX as far as i see it, was extactly a shocking and drastical alternation of characters/stories in order to provide the comic readers with something "weird", "foreign" and "unsettling" in order to spice the, at the time, stagnate comic incarnation up.

A point the screen media of the X-men has, in my opinion, not yet reached thanks to still having enough "classic" stories and characters left to adept or explore (as long as they don't do Dark Phoenix 3.0 or waste further important villains like Apocalypse).

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Of course, to be fair, at least in the Jane thing, Marvel did remove the things that were more controversial with readers- Thor become unworthy, why did the hammer chose Jane when it's supposed to be a weapon for a warrior, etc- so that can certainly happen if or when Krakoa is adapted as well.
    Indeed. That's why i wrote "Once it has run it's course, it would be a good idea to look back and see what worked, which could then be distilled into an adapation to the screen.".

Basicly hindsight is 20/20 and writers and producers will prefer it over jumping straight into adapting something yet unproven.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    People also expecting Krakoa in the MCU to start off will likely be similarly disappointed
    TAS was a huge hit. It could get away with starting back where the original series left off.

Fox XMen ended in an epic failure. Plus I’m not sure another mutant superhero team would work. I think the Krakoa era in the comics is meant to be the Nash’s fit the Krakoa era in the MCU.

Re: XMen cartoons, only one season of XMen 97 has been commissioned. Who knows what other seasons will adapt.

DeMayo is clearly an old-school fan and doesn't approve of some things from the modern era (like Scemma), so I wouldn't expect much besides the Claremont/90's stories.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

And of course X-Twitter is harassing him for not liking Scemma or Krakoa. Stay classy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin King View Post
    Given that picking up where X-Men TAS left off will mean taking us way, way back into the 90's era of comics, I really don't care if he dislikes the Krakoa era. He's not alone, lots of fans have had their issues with it. And I don't expect the show to go anywhere near what's happening in the comics now. Maybe they'll adapt some more recent stories ("more recent" meaning sometime in the last 10-15 years), but Krakoa would be a big change. This show is gonna be X-Men nostalgia, and I'm okay with that.
    It's called "X-Men '97" for a reason---they are starting where this series left off in 1997. Yes, the timeline will progress (some), but I would not suggest stories from the last 10 to 15 years. That is highly unlikely. Let us instead enjoy what they will present.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    DeMayo is clearly an old-school fan and doesn't approve of some things from the modern era (like Scemma), so I wouldn't expect much besides the Claremont/90's stories.
    This is a plus for me. TAS version of Cyclops was faithful and upstanding. I can't see this version straying from Jean and with them married in the show, the Cyclops/Jean/Wolverine triangle was pretty much dead like it was in 90s comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Its pretty clear he stopped reading issues after the 90s. X-twitter because his response was as if he read a wiki summary to defend an earlier point. He would have been better saying he doesn't like the modern Era and leave it as that

Yeah, he's a Claremont boi. The fact that Val Cooper, HFC and Sinister/Morlocks are going to be the big plotlines shows this is going to be a love letter to mid-late 80's era.

Anyways, I think Krakoa would be better served on a separate show altogether. The visuals don't go with the XTAS style.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    And of course X-Twitter is harassing him for not liking Scemma or Krakoa. Stay classy.
    He does seem to lack much, perhaps any, understanding of that time. Scott didn't become radical because of Emma, like DeMayo seems to believe. He became radical because he was in desperate and radical times. It wouldn't have mattered who he was with, Emma, Jean, Lee, heck, even Logan or Bobby, or no one at all, and I think the results would have been similar.
    Dark does not mean deep.