Page 217 of 325 FirstFirst ... 117167207213214215216217218219220221227267317 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,255 of 4868

Bigot: a person who is obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, especially one who is prejudiced against or antagonistic toward a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.

Argument: The inclusion of a gender non-conforming character in X-Men '97 upsets me, a person who is not gender non-conforming and thus enjoys an overwhelming amount of comparative social privilege, including the vast majority of fictional characters affirming my identity, rather than the identity of gender non-conforming people.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............you're also in alliance with the person who thinks 1/10 characters not being cisgender makes the show "political" and "non-neutral." How? Keep in mind, the original show was already political.

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    This is looking more and more perfect! I’m loving the coloring, the action, the drama…

Super hyped for the Jean/Maddie reveals, for Storm to get the spotlight and be powerful, for Rogue kicking ass, for more Kurt…

Diyng to see all the surprise non announced cameos. Hope Emma has a good role in it and that her personality matches more the post Grant version of her.

Secretly really hoping Betsy is in it with some cool lines and action scenes.
    Agreed. The more I see of it the more I think it’s going to be good.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

After watching that behind the scenes video, someone’s gonna have to peel me off the ceiling.

“Heads up sugah!” :throws sentinel head:

Gambit with puppy dog eyes!

Gaahhhh! I cannot wait!11

Nervously, excitedly giggling at my desk.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    After watching that behind the scenes video, someone’s gonna have to peel me off the ceiling.

LMAO. I literally was watching it off my phone, earbuds in, at my desk too. Initial reaction was: this series might be even better than I expected. Gambit looks great (well, they all do, really). Love love love the animation.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post

Same, it's so nice to feel excited about a project with the X-Men again.

Nice. Love that GIF.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Just love seeing Rogue being sassy and kicking ass.

Feels like old times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    This is a very good point and largely where I come down on this. It's not that Morph is bi or trans or whatever they wanted to make him. If DeMayo didn't make this the centerpiece of his publicity, most people probably wouldn't have even noticed. (As others have said.)

Yes, it is a manufactured controversy that was entirely unnecessary. But the fact that the people writing X-Men put such a focus on a minor unimportant character's queerness displays exactly where X-Men (and the wider Marvel) lost its audience. They stopped writing stories that would interest and connect to the people who actually bought their books to cater to a small niche segment of their audience, and then a good portion of their largest demo stopped buying the books. X-Men 97 was an opportunity to reconnect with that lost audience, and they whiffed over something really silly--A MINOR, UNIMPORTANT CHARACTER who shouldn't have even been discussed in the interview if DeMayo's focus was to actually sell his product rather than 'OwN tHE RiGHt!'

And that's the ailment for all of Marvel, particularly X-Men. Reports today say Grant Morrison refused to return to X-Men because it's a dumpster fire. TBreevort was brought in to 'right the ship' and immediately starts insulting fans and saying he's just going to more of what wasn't working. They need to grow their paying audience, but they keep doing everything they can to alienate the largest portion of it.

Hell, look around here. This forum used have a thousand or more regular posters. Now there are maybe three dozen who post every couple of days, with no more than a hundred or so lurking and posting sporadically. And this is one of the biggest forums (that I'm aware of!). This is a microcosm of what is left of the X-Men fan base. And it is a niche audience that cannot support a 250M movie.

The people who talk about an alt-right echo chamber. Why do you think I'm here on a board that 95% of posters completely disagree with me (and many despise me for my Christian and libertarian beliefs). I want to hear the other side. I want to discuss civilly the problems with this. Because I loved these characters growing up and I want to see stories with them that are well written and interest me again.

You say this entirely unironically, as if thinking everyone who disagrees with you is a bigot isn't the literal definition of bigotry.
    Do you not think that a two line description of a character might be a bit much for people to react so vitriolic to though? In context, DeMayo’s interview detailed about every main character in the show, with Morph’s description being the only one to mention a gender change, and one of the least informative.

There’s no sign that he will be the focus of the show, in fact the focus appears to be on Cyclops, Jean, Magneto and Storm from what I can gather.

It seems more likely that certain people are taking the mention of ‘non binary’ and running with it for their own gain - comic book/pop culture YouTubers, writers and influencers who get views from posting content that fan the flames of this discourse and discussion, overblowing the actual impact these things have on the stories.

If Morph is mentioned as “They” twice in this season, will that automatically make the show bad? I just don’t understand why the mere mention of something you disagree with in an interview that talks about it once would make you write off a whole season of the show.

Comics have lost readership across the board, it’s been going down for decades, it’s not because X-Men (or comics as a whole) got more diverse in the last 5-7 years

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    I just don’t understand why the mere mention of something you disagree with in an interview that talks about it once would make you write off a whole season of the show.
    Oh, oh! Pick me! Pick me! I know why!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Oh, oh! Pick me! Pick me! I know why!
    Imagine being so scared of a secondary character who is non binary person in a show about minorities that you make everything about them!

morph literally lives rent free in their minds. They probably dream about him too.

Oh morph! You’re so bad! Say non binary again you sexy bad them!!!

The animation of the behind the scenes clips were so much better, great looking action scenes. And they showed Nightcrawler looking amazing, I’m sold.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Imagine being so scared of a secondary character who is non binary person in a show about minorities that you make everything about them!

morph literally lives rent free in their minds. They probably dream about him too.

Oh morph! You’re so bad! Say non binary again you sexy bad them!!!
    Should’ve put a trigger warning at the beginning of that Empire article…all for about 2 sentences worth of information.

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    This came out at the best time. This trailer looks a lot better than the last.

Fingers crossed that this will be the best animated project of 2024.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Another GIF.

Also noticed Sunspot at the mansion, thought maybe he was with Forge's team? Maybe he defects.

Spectacular Member CamilleMoineau's Avatar

It's not that Morph is bi or trans or whatever they wanted to make him. If DeMayo didn't make this the centerpiece of his publicity, most people probably wouldn't have even noticed. (As others have said.)
    Except he didn't do that at all. It was A SMALL MENTION in an Empire article, in a description of the character.

Yes, it is a manufactured controversy that was entirely unnecessary. But the fact that the people writing X-Men put such a focus on a minor unimportant character's queerness displays exactly where X-Men (and the wider Marvel) lost its audience. They stopped writing stories that would interest and connect to the people who actually bought their books to cater to a small niche segment of their audience, and then a good portion of their largest demo stopped buying the books. X-Men 97 was an opportunity to reconnect with that lost audience, and they whiffed over something really silly--A MINOR, UNIMPORTANT CHARACTER who shouldn't have even been discussed in the interview if DeMayo's focus was to actually sell his product rather than 'OwN tHE RiGHt!
    Again, they're not putting all the focus on Morph, it's just that it bothers bigots so much that they've done what they always do and turn something minor into a major issue. People haven't been leaving comics for decades now, as has been mentioned, because they're focusing on minor, diverse pet favorites--the problems have more to do with poor storytelling and bad character decisions. And by the way, anyone trying to "'OwN tHE RiGHt!" (lol, be serious) is perfectly fine in my book; he wasn't doing that, the right once again did it to themselves, judging by their two bitchfests are about a line in a magazine and a single screenshot of forced perspective.

And this show was NEVER some "neutral" simplistic bullshit of Good Guys v. Bad Guys--you want that, watch something else; the protagonists and antagonists represented actual differing ideologies--a minority group often fighting with those who opposed their very existence. So get the **** out of here with that talk.
    Last edited by CamilleMoineau; 03-13-2024 at 12:56 PM.
    “Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds