Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Is X-Men First Class canon?

Several years ago, Marvel put out a number of 'First Class' x-titles, beginning with X-Me First Class. Are any of these titles canon or do they take place in their own continuity?

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Yes and no. They're intentionally written to happen around events that happened in the original run, but it's otherwise left vague. The costumes were used for the flashbacks in Schism though iirc.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Astonishing Member

I guess it's up to the reader then. Ok thanks.

Everything is cannon to somebody somewhere at sometime.

If it is canon, then Jean and Wanda are friends, and Wanda dated Angel. If it is not canon, then these things are not real.

Nothing really contradicts it, and they are really fun so I count it as canon.

It isn't canon, and has stated not to be in interviews however I think Marvel rectified this with Uncanny X-Men First class and Wolverine first class which were stated to be canon

Extraordinary Member

It all happened in the life where Matthow Malloy was conceived in. Problem solved.

It hasn’t been referenced in a long time, but there is 616 canon that displays the O5 in the First Class outfits, insinuating them to be canon. X-Men: Prelude to Schism #1 to be exact:

Not only that, but there is also an issue of X-Men vs Agents of Atlas #2, where they reference meeting Gorilla Man in Africa to save Xavier at a temple,

Which canonically takes place in an X-Men: First Class issue. Specifically, X-Men: First Class vol 1 #8.

X-Men vs Agents of Atlas was written by Jeff Parker, writer of the First Class series, so it’s obvious that he would want to cement it in canon. However, Prelude to Schism was written by Paul Jenkins, so there might have been a goal to integrate it in canon. First Class will be into question as one of those prequels that fall in the maybe they are canon or not, but there is evidence in canon of characters referencing the First Class stories. Do, it can technically be regarded as canon based on that.

I know I do.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    It isn't canon, and has stated not to be in interviews however I think Marvel rectified this with Uncanny X-Men First class and Wolverine first class which were stated to be canon
    Can you find sources of these interviews, because it seems the evidence I posted shows a different motivation completely.

Extraordinary Member

I think there actually debate about whether Prelude to Schism was even canon lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroFN View Post
    Can you find sources of these interviews, because it seems the evidence I posted shows a different motivation completely.
    It was in one of the old CBRs interviews when Jeff Parker was writing the book. I don't know if CBR has backed up a lot of the information when they upgraded their forums

UXM is canon
    https://www.cbr.com/wc-scott-gray-on...n-first-class/

Wolverine First Class. That series takes place from between UXM #138 (Just before Wolverine changed to the brown and yellow costume and when Kitty Pryde joins the X-Men) to before the X-Men were kidnapped by the Brood and taken into space (About UXM #161

Jeff Parker has said its not canon and that was one of the reasons Marvel made the subsequent ones canon.

Out of first class the only issue that was considered canon was the Agent of Atlas one

https://www.chronologyproject.com/ph...pic.php?t=8253

Thats what I can dig up with search strings but I definitely remember an old CBR interview with Jeff Parker frustrated with fans who said they wouldn't read rhe book cause it wasn't canon

Wolverine First Class is canon

https://www.cbr.com/x-position-first-class/
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 09-02-2021 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    It was in one of the old CBRs interviews when Jeff Parker was writing the book. I don't know if CBR has backed up a lot of the information when they upgraded their forums

UXM is canon
    https://www.cbr.com/wc-scott-gray-on...n-first-class/

Wolverine First Class. That series takes place from between UXM #138 (Just before Wolverine changed to the brown and yellow costume and when Kitty Pryde joins the X-Men) to before the X-Men were kidnapped by the Brood and taken into space (About UXM #161

Jeff Parker has said its not canon and that was one of the reasons Marvel made the subsequent ones canon.

Out of first class the only issue that was considered canon was the Agent of Atlas one

https://www.chronologyproject.com/ph...pic.php?t=8253

Thats what I can dig up with search strings but I definitely remember an old CBR interview with Jeff Parker frustrated with fans who said they wouldn't read rhe book cause it wasn't canon

Wolverine First Class is canon

https://www.cbr.com/x-position-first-class/
    Alright. So as thought, X-Men: First Class is in a weird limbo of canon (issue 8 that was referenced) and non-canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    If it is canon, then Jean and Wanda are friends, and Wanda dated Angel. If it is not canon, then these things are not real.

Angel did date Wanda it’s canon now

Quote Originally Posted by gambitxremy View Post
    Angel did date Wanda it’s canon now
    Which means Jean and Wanda are now friends, Sue was Jean's mentor, and Jean was the inspiration for Black Widow's classic costume.