Page 196 of 323 FirstFirst ... 96146186192193194195196197198199200206246296 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,940 of 4842

This is just my opinion, but I'm not overly concerned about Morph in the show.

He wasn't very well established at all, so any changes to him/her aren't really going to be retcons - it's more fleshing the character out than anything else. Morph isn't exactly a blank slate, but IS pretty close. Other than a jokester, there isn't much else there that the audience has seen. Certainly not a sexual identity - has Morph even mentioned finding anyone attractive? Will making the character non-binary be more than checking a diversity box? And by that I mean will they do anything else with the character? If I can describe Morph's entire character by saying "Shapechanger, non-binary" then Disney will have failed them. (for that matter, I shouldn't be able to sum up ANY character by listing their race, gender, or sexuality plus their powers. White/Eyebeams and Black/Lightning don't do either Cyclops or Storm any justice, and Non-Binary/Shapeshifter isn't good enough for Morph either) If they make someone memorable for reasons besides being non-binary, while also making that part of them matter, then they will have succeeded.

Basically, the question I have is "Will it be any good?" Morph being a non-binary character isn't going to change a bad show into a good one, nor will that make a good show bad simply by being there. I might be a straight guy, but I'm not so insecure in my manhood as to feel threatened by the existence of a cartoon character that represents someone other than me. I have actual problems to worry about, like cutting my expenses enough for a couple months to pay for the 2 appliances that broke during the same week.
    Dark does not mean deep.

X-Men was the one of, if not arguably the, only "woke" things in media in the 90s. That is what made it popular and why it is getting a revival now. I can not even fathom how these flatscans don't retain the messaging of X-Men at this point for them to accuse the series of going "woke". It's beyond unnecessary.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    The point of the message is "a significant portion of people who don't want non-binary et cetera on TV will suddenly be nice if you aren't terse with them and treat their point of view as if it is inocuous", yes?
    No. That's almost the exact opposite of what's being said. It was never about accepting or advocating for dangerous views.

The message is, "Don't always assume malice. There ARE people who can't be reasoned with, but you can't always assume the worst out of everyone. Reaching out to others and trying to understand their views can help them (and maybe even you) grow better as a person."
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    The point of the message is "a significant portion of people who don't want non-binary et cetera on TV will suddenly be nice if you aren't terse with them and treat their point of view as if it is inocuous", yes?

I disagree. Further, that attitude is dangerous for everyone who can't pass for non-woke. The people we are talking about are hateful with intent. They are saying not to show 'others' on TV because they do not want there to be a counter-message to "gay = bad."
    I don't think I saw anyone imply in this thread people would suddenly have a change of heart if they took back the change. If I missed it, I apologize, but what I saw more of was some talk that it might have been less controversial to include an already established LGBT+ character. Though for many people who don't read the comics, I think characters like Iceman or Northstar would have still incited "woke" claims since they've never been portrayed as LGBT+ in non-comic media before.

If anything, I fear when it's revealed to more people that Iceman is gay it's gonna get an even more drastic response sadly, since many are familiar with him being "straight" from the movies and cartoons.

The point of the message for me is try to spread more positivity about the change. If you feel irritated or frustrated about seeing this hate, you don't need to "turn the other cheek" but I think it's more constructive to explain to others why this is important to you and over people rather than the usual "you're just a bigot, shut up". It's a more efficient stance to take with drowning out the hate, if harder and more mentally exhausting to implement sometimes. (and for this, i am talking from professional and personal experience)

If you think about it, there has been a huge shift in attitudes toward not just LGBT+, but many groups and social issues, throughout just our lifetimes. It seems like a long time, but in the grand scheme of things something like 50 years is nothing. There are still people alive that saw both world wars, let alone all the change society has gone through in the past century.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 02-20-2024 at 09:51 PM.

A lot of people here seem to be conflating being non-binary with sexual orientation. This is why the discussion is important.

The people claiming X-Men is now woke are not these people.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I don't think I saw anyone imply in this thread people would suddenly have a change of heart if they took back the change. If I missed it, I apologize, but what I saw more of was some talk that it might have been less controversial to include an already established LGBT+ character. Though for many people who don't read the comics, I think characters like Iceman or Northstar would have still incited "woke" claims since they've never been portrayed as LGBT+ in media before.

If anything, I fear when it's revealed to more people that Iceman is gay it's gonna get an even more drastic response sadly, since many are familiar with him being "straight" from the movies and cartoons.

The point of the message for me is try to spread more positivity about the change. If you feel irritated or frustrated about seeing this hate, you don't need to "turn the other cheek" but I think it's more constructive to explain to others why this is important to you and over people rather than the usual "you're just a bigot, shut up". It's a more efficient stance to take with drowning out the hate, if harder and more mentally exhausting to implement sometimes. (and for this, i am talking from professional and personal experience)
    I can understand a point of view of "nice tone goes over better," but I think it is important, imperative, to not represent an attack, purposeful and intentional messaging, as an innocent difference of opinion that gay people et cetera are just not being kind enough about.

As far as Iceman, yes, I think he would have gotten it too, as alot of the mad about Morph is directed effort and messaging, but it would be humorous to watch people claim some affection for a straight Iceman based on TAS when he was hardly in it.

Yea I don't mean it as a commentary about minorities needing to be meek about their (our) stances or views, it's more about how communication and how we engage in general with people around us influences how much anyone will actually "listen" to us.

That's why I said it applies to everyday life as well. I do think there is a time and place to be... not aggressive exactly, but more persistent and passionate about fighting for our rights and that's usually with our lawmakers. If anything, I wish there were more ways to hold them accountable for their actions, but it involves getting people to vote more sadly and then loops back to differences in opinions with how our neighbors vote for so and so candidates that don't actually represent their best interests but sell themselves as doing so.

Lots of intertwined societal issues that makes this topic complex and... I'm veering off-topic there. xD

Astonishing Member

Did Jordan Li from Gen V the gender shifter ever get any negative backlash like Morph? The show is both a critical and commercial hit and the character plays a major role in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Did Jordan Li from Gen V the gender shifter ever get any negative backlash like Morph? The show is both a critical and commercial hit and the character plays a major role in the series.
    I did see a lot of comments about Gen V being the “woke trash” version of the Boys, because of it’s more diverse cast. There’s gonna be vitriol everywhere at this point no matter how good a show actually is.

It feels so weird that this show has just been overtaken by this discussion about Morph’s gender identity - who would have thought that Morph would be the biggest talking point of this show hahaha

The show looks great, I can’t wait to watch it. I have a feeling the action is gonna be fantastic. I’m excited to see how the new Spider-Man show will look, as well as what other animated shows are in the pipeline outside of the MCU continuity

I just see it as making Morph "comic accurate" despite never reading Exiles myself...

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I have not watched it yet. How did they portray Sunspot?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I have not watched it yet. How did they portray Sunspot?
    If you're talking about the trailer, Sunspot wasn't in it.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    I just see it as making Morph "comic accurate" despite never reading Exiles myself...
    yeah, about that... he wasn't in eXiles...

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    This is just my opinion, but I'm not overly concerned about Morph in the show.

He wasn't very well established at all, so any changes to him/her aren't really going to be retcons - it's more fleshing the character out than anything else. Morph isn't exactly a blank slate, but IS pretty close. Other than a jokester, there isn't much else there that the audience has seen. Certainly not a sexual identity - has Morph even mentioned finding anyone attractive? Will making the character non-binary be more than checking a diversity box? And by that I mean will they do anything else with the character? If I can describe Morph's entire character by saying "Shapechanger, non-binary" then Disney will have failed them. (for that matter, I shouldn't be able to sum up ANY character by listing their race, gender, or sexuality plus their powers. White/Eyebeams and Black/Lightning don't do either Cyclops or Storm any justice, and Non-Binary/Shapeshifter isn't good enough for Morph either) If they make someone memorable for reasons besides being non-binary, while also making that part of them matter, then they will have succeeded.

Basically, the question I have is "Will it be any good?" Morph being a non-binary character isn't going to change a bad show into a good one, nor will that make a good show bad simply by being there. I might be a straight guy, but I'm not so insecure in my manhood as to feel threatened by the existence of a cartoon character that represents someone other than me. I have actual problems to worry about, like cutting my expenses enough for a couple months to pay for the 2 appliances that broke during the same week.
    It makes sense that a shapeshifter who could be male, female, neither, or both simultaneously at will would have a more fluid understanding of their sex and gender. It's not surprising that Mystique has been with men and women as well.

Also, Beau Demayo, the showrunner, explained in his Instagram stories that while Morph will be nonbinary and use they/them pronouns, the term nonbinary isn't being used because it wasn't widely known or used during the 90s.