Page 185 of 323 FirstFirst ... 85135175181182183184185186187188189195235285 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,775 of 4834

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    people getting irritated because Morph is non-binary is so upsetting and unnecessary. We basically know NOTHING about the character from the 1990s. The character was killed, they were brainwashed. Now we will have the chance to meet Morph in more depth.
    Yeah, Morph was only in the show to die in the pilot and be brainwashed. They weren't that much big character in the original show and as many have said makes sense with them being a shapeshifter (it's a change that will barely affect the character's protrayal in the original show, because that protrayal was barely existent). Only thing I don't like about Morph in the new show is the costume. It's sooooo generic and forgettable, I would have liked if they gave him something similar to the AoA or Exiles costume. Let Morph embrace the silliness and jokester attitude with their clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    Right?

I get so confused with those “arguments”. As if all NB, Trans or even Queer person could assume their identity as soon as their are born in our world.

Each person lives through it in their own time and capacity.

On top of that, this is a fictional character. Chamges occur to reflect the evolving times. And representation is supposed to be in X-Men’s DNA.

Don’t be alarmed people there are still plenty white, sis, heteronormative male superheroes out there.
    Right…

I’ll admit that there is certainly a spectrum of how well written some comic book “coming outs” are, but several folks seem genuinely upset about the fact that a character can come out, and that not everyone is straight.

To them I say… has NO ONE ever come out to you after thinking that their gender or sexuality was cis het. Or have you just made it clear to people that you won’t accept said changes from what you consider the norm.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I can definitely understand YFlames' perspective.

As it is right now...This is not so much a "Coming Out" as an "New Statement of Introduction to this Character". Essentially, a retcon.

Will there be an episode that deals with his coming to terms with and accepting his identity and eventual reveal? (As this was a character who was presumed to be straight initially.) If yes...great! you (for whom such things are important) get to have positive and well-thought-through representation, hopefully. If not and we just see him declaring himself NB in a by-the-way moment with no real story behind it then it's more or less change for diversity's sake and performative. Which a lot of you (again, for whom such things are important) have railed against time and time again in these very threads. It really depends on the execution.

It's Beau...so it could swing either way.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I feel like no-one really responds to anything I write on this forum so this is probably completely pointless but good lord! The irony of this thread being so filled with hate and fear is apparently lost on some of us. It would be nice if we could just let the show release, judge it on it's merits (after having actually watched it) and maybe not lose our goddamn minds over a shapeshifter taking on a modern perspective to reflect the changing times. But nope, we have to be childish instead. Surely we can do better than this.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-17-2024 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Typos: Zero Tolerance.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    I feel like no-one really responds to anything I write on this forum so this is probably completely pointless but good lord! The irony of this thread being so filled with hate and fear is apparently lost on some of us. It would be nice if we could just let the show release, judge it on it's merits (after having actually watched it) and maybe not lose our goddamn minds over a shapeshifter taking on a modern perspective to reflect the changing times. But nope, we have to be childish instead. Surely we can do better than this.
    What kills me are the "why didn't they get so and so to voice so and so!" posts, mostly in reference to the returning voice actor's not voicing the same character.

Did you ever maybe consider what the voice actor wanted? What work schedule they could commit to?

Spectacular Member CamilleMoineau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    Well, I'll respond to you and say I completely agree. It's very depressing that this of all fandoms should react in such a way to the very mention of such a minor change.
    ETA: And yes, it might be done as performative but most of the complaints I've been seeing are from people frothing because it's a change.
    Last edited by CamilleMoineau; 02-17-2024 at 09:06 AM.
    “Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    What kills me are the "why didn't they get so and so to voice so and so!" posts.

Did you ever maybe consider what the voice actor wanted? What work schedule they could commit to?
    Yeah, it's ridiculous. Might blow some minds to hear this but an animated tv show, much like comic books, is a collaborative art form that requires, y'know, real people with actual lives. They have needs and wants and among them perhaps the preference to not participate this time around.

Also, considering it's been 27 years there is a good chance some of them may have just retired.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Quote Originally Posted by CamilleMoineau View Post
    Well, I'll respond to you
    Gracias!

and say I completely agree. It's very depressing that this of all fandoms should react in such a way to the very mention of such a minor change.
    It truly is. It's straight up disappointing.

Spectacular Member CamilleMoineau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    What kills me are the "why didn't they get so and so to voice so and so!" posts, mostly in reference to the returning voice actor's not voicing the same character.

This is also bothering me, like people aren't considering that 30 years can change people's voices or that there were other factors preventing them.
    “Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Well, I'll respond to you and say I completely agree. It's very depressing that this of all fandoms should react in such a way to the very mention of such a minor change.
    ETA: And yes, it might be done as performative but most of the complaints I've been seeing are from people frothing because it's a change.
    Depending on how it's treated in story it really isn't a "minor" change, considering what came before. It's not a minor thing in real life, and shouldn't really be a minor thing in-story. In fact I would say it should have some weight and relevance and depth if the intent is to be more than performative.

From the responses I've read here, I don't see anyone "frothing" or spewing "hate and fear". Just XM fans giving their differing opinions on what it may or may not mean in context of what came before and what they're trying to accomplish going forward.

And I have to agree with the sentiment...They are already introducing new characters in the reboot, why didn't they include one of the many other characters that are actually established LGBTQ+ in the X-family instead of retconning the gender of a previous character?
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 02-17-2024 at 09:26 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

It is nice to read some level heads about this show. I read so much hate about it - from the right who are upset about wokeness to younger lefty fans that hate that it is a continuation of something old and that it is not Krakoa or they criticize the showrunner for wrongthink (having the wrong opinions about Emma Frost and also the Hickman era). Granted I love the Hickman era but it doesn't bother me that DeMayo doesn't appreciate it like I do. But I'm an adult and someone having a different opinion isn't as threatening to me I guess. Also, fans who call him a misogynists over his views on Emma are very problematic - he's an openly gay black man and he can have his views on a fictional white woman character imo. Don't come for me, Emma stans.

Again I don't share his views on several things, but that is ok. The hate directed at him and the show feels like an extreme overreaction but that is the internet in a nutshell. We often want diverse creators but when we get them we often tear them down. We as a fandom do not live up to our convictions.

I read someone say that why can't young fans have their own show as if X-men 97 is just for those of us in our late 30s/early 40s. There is no reason younger fans cannot enjoy this show - I think they are choosing to hate it just because it is older than them. Because they decided if it is not radical politics then it is trash, etc. Why don't we just give it a chance and see how it goes. We might be surprised. And we'll likely have valid criticisms because nothing is perfect. Just keep an open mind.

I also know some fans will always be disappointed that Emma Frost isn't an X-man in this, and they grew up with Wolverine and the X-men and would prefer that version for a show. That is fine. It is possible though to enjoy all the X-men cartoons. I loved X-men Evolution but I still enjoyed the OG show and Wolverine and the X-men. Who knows what content we may get going forward. I hope this show is a big success.
    Last edited by MechaJeanix; 02-17-2024 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Yeah, it's not like the comics are bursting with NB representation. And who even cared about Morph previously?
    He's always been pretty popular. I suspect that's why they used him for non-binary representation.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    It is nice to read some level heads about this show. I read so much hate about it - from the right who are upset about wokeness to younger lefty fans that hate that it is a continuation of something old and that it is not Krakoa or they criticize the showrunner for wrongthink (having the wrong opinions about Emma Frost and also the Hickman era). Granted I love the Hickman era but it doesn't bother me that DeMayo doesn't appreciate it like I do. But I'm an adult and someone having a different opinion isn't as threatening to me I guess. Also, fans who call him a misogynists over his views on Emma are very problematic - he's an openly gay black man and he can have his views on a fictional white woman character imo. Don't come for me, Emma stans.

Again I don't share his views on several things, but that is ok. The hate directed at him and the show feels like an extreme overreaction but that is the internet in a nutshell. We often want diverse creators but when we get them we often tear them down. We as a fandom do not live up to our convictions.

I read someone say that why can't young fans have their own show as if X-men 97 is just for those of us in our late 30s/early 40s. There is no reason younger fans cannot enjoy this show - I think they are choosing to hate it just because it is older than them. Because they decided if it is not radical politics then it is trash, etc. Why don't we just give it a chance and see how it goes. We might be surprised. And we'll likely have valid criticisms because nothing is perfect. Just keep an open mind.

I also know some fans will always be disappointed that Emma Frost isn't an X-man in this, and they grew up with Wolverine and the X-men and would prefer that version for a show. That is fine. It is possible though to enjoy all the X-men cartoons. I loved X-men Evolution but I still enjoyed the OG show and Wolverine and the X-men. Who knows what content we may get going forward. I hope this show is a big success.
    Well said!

X-men Evolution was my gateway drug to this franchise, and I'd have loved for us to get a continuation to that (especially since potential Season 5 storylines were even teased in the finale). But I loved the TAS as well...it was my gateway drug to the broader X-men mythos and all its complexities. As someone in his early 30's, I wasn't old enough to watch it while it was airing so it isn't intrinsically part of my childhood memories the way it is for many of you'll. But I respect the hell out of its status as one of the pillars of this franchise and I'm really looking forward to seeing where it goes next with this revival.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post

This is pretty much for 30-40 year olds and about wishing to be a kid again. I would love for the younger generations to be given something that is more for them.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Depending on how it's treated in story it really isn't a "minor" change, considering what came before. It's not a minor thing in real life, and shouldn't really be a minor thing in-story. In fact I would say it should have some weight and relevance and depth if the intent is to be more than performative.

From the responses I've read here, I don't see anyone "frothing" or spewing "hate and fear". Just XM fans giving their differing opinions on what it may or may not mean in context of what came before and what they're trying to accomplish going forward.

And I have to agree with the sentiment...They are already introducing new characters in the reboot, why didn't they include one of the many other characters that are actually established LGBTQ+ in the X-family instead of retconning the gender of a previous character?
    What is Morph established as? Cause he certainly never was established as straight in the 90s series.