Page 111 of 243 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121161211 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 3637

And if we're not limited to Marvel characters.

Darth Vader.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Her decision was navel-gazing BS in the aftermath of the stupid Abu documentary. And around the death of George Floyd and a lot of famous, rich white people were attempting to atone for their white guilt and prove they were the good ones.

Of course, Sunspot is half black and Jubilee is Asian. Of course, it should match that in live action. But it should not matter in voice acting. Where character can remain their ethnicities but have whatever actor can handle the performance. Christopher Judge is black and he did a great job as Magneto. Hiro Kanagawa is Japanese-Canadian and he did a great job as Reed Richards. Josh Keaton is half Ashkenazi Jewish and half Peruvian and he did a great job as Spider-Man. Cree Summer is half black and did a great job as She-Hulk.
    and...There are female voice actors playing male characters. Male voice actors playing female roles.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

As a Brazilian, I'm glad that Beto (not Berto) will have a Brazilian voice actor regardless of race.
    It means we won't see him speaking Spanish, which is much more offensive and stereotypical to us.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    So, the only thing that matters here is what race a person is... Feels like one of those "When woke and racists agree," moments. Doesn't matter if somebody is good mat the job or not, they need to have the right skin color to do it.
    Yes, because when some of us are focused on the difference in opportunities afforded actors of color vs white actors, we're absolutely the same as racists who want actors of color to have no opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Clearly.

I mean...what exactly does a Black Brazilian sound like? As compared to a White Brazilian? As compared to what Beto should sound like (considering he's a fictional, two-dimensional, illustrated charater? None of that matters, I'm guessing. Just as long as he's the same skin colour as the cartoon character he's voicing.
    Yeah, this.

It's particularly jarring in the case of Jubilee when she canonically doesn't talk like an Asian person. She was brought up in the US by parents who encouraged her to talk and act like a Californian. why would you cast someone to speak English with a Chinese accent when the character doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Yes, because when some of us are focused on the difference in opportunities afforded actors of color vs white actors, we're absolutely the same as racists who want actors of color to have no opportunities.
    So, ignoring their skin color and relying on their actual voice and acting abilities means they don't get opportunities somehow?

Ideally, if they're good at the job, they should get the job.

Do we actually know if any Black actors auditioned for the part?

Maybe there were...and they weren't as good as the actor they finally chose (He is Brazilian so I'm guessing it was important to get the Portuguese language and accent just right.)
    Maybe no Black actors auditioned...which leaves us in the very same place we started...the best person for the job, got it.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

BANNED

Obviously, there were no good black people available for the role, just like anytime in the history of the U.S. when a minority is denied an opportunity.

Look, the only viable options here were the gentleman they chose or Scarlett Johansson, who specializes in playing Japanese people. Scarlett makes an excellent young black Brazilian man as well, but c'mon, she can't be in every role. So given the choice between the man who won the part and Scarlett Johansson, who would you go with?

Exactly.

They made the right call.

Anyways, we need Scarlett left available to voice Dust in the second season.

Astonishing Member

I see we've arrived at the 'the disparity between numbers of black and white actors in roles in Hollywood is because most black actors just aren't as good as most white actors' part of the convo.

Well this was productive.

Yupp.
    It's always very productive talking...ie speculating, about things behind the scenes about which we "key-board warriors" have absolutely no clue. Just as it is misconstruing a post.

My questions were genuine as I'm not part of or anywhere close to where DeMayo and his higher ups are making decisions and why...And I'm certainly not going to sit here and type as if I know with absolute certainty anything about that.

While I certainly understand the Black vs White race/war disparity within the American Entertainment Industry...I'm not sitting in any boardrooms. And I'm not going to pretend as such. Only the persons in that boardroom and audition room know what and why. And we here don't know ****. Some here (generally speaking) would do well to come to terms with that.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Unless you think the voice actor should match the character's ethnicity, there's plenty of opportunities of actors of colour in voice acting.
    "Cable was right!"

Thread kinda went in a weird direction.

I usually don't get into political stuff here, since I'm only here to have a good time and shitpost. But imo, I think it's important to see the issue as something very complex. Talent should really be the biggest decider, imo; I'm fine with a white person playing a black person if they're the best choice for the character. Likewise, I'm fine with a black person playing an Asian character if they're the best choice. Etc, etc. It's not like live action, where the character's looks are a big part of how they're perceived. Here, it's the voice.

But at the same time, the VA industry is infamously insular. It's easy to say "talent should come first," but there isn't always enough effort put into discovering, expanding and supporting new people. It's hard for new talent to break through in a big way, so there needs to be a conscious effort to include diverse talent. Imo, people should be able to play who they want regardless of race, but the industry should also make an effort to include a diverse range of people - old and new, various races and identities.) Otherwise, we have a rather homogenous industry that's hard to break into.

So what's the solution? What compromise can we make? We kill off Magneto and make Hellion the leader of the X-Men. Voiced by Greg Eagles.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Exactatiously, Rifty.

Trust in Hellion to right the wrongs of this troubled world in which we exist and bring balance and meaning to our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Thread kinda went in a weird direction.

I usually don't get into political stuff here, since I'm only here to have a good time and shitpost. But imo, I think it's important to see the issue as something very complex. Talent should really be the biggest decider, imo; I'm fine with a white person playing a black person if they're the best choice for the character. Likewise, I'm fine with a black person playing an Asian character if they're the best choice. Etc, etc. It's not like live action, where the character's looks are a big part of how they're perceived. Here, it's the voice.

But at the same time, the VA industry is infamously insular. It's easy to say "talent should come first," but there isn't always enough effort put into discovering, expanding and supporting new people. It's hard for new talent to break through in a big way, so there needs to be a conscious effort to include diverse talent. Imo, people should be able to play who they want regardless of race, but the industry should also make an effort to include a diverse range of people - old and new, various races and identities.) Otherwise, we have a rather homogenous industry that's hard to break into.
    Yeah. And you hear some of the same voices a lot sometimes. Makes you wonder how new people ever get their foot in the door. A lot of us don't know how much effort goes into looking so hopefully effort is putting into giving more people a shot regardless of age, race etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    So what's the solution? What compromise can we make? We kill off Magneto and make Hellion the leader of the X-Men. Voiced by Greg Eagles.
    I mean. I don't think he has to die for Hellion to lead but maybe I missed something in the lore . . .
    “After all, it could only cost you your life, and you got that for free!”
    ~*Earthbound.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Do we actually know if any Black actors auditioned for the part?

Maybe there were...and they weren't as good as the actor they finally chose (He is Brazilian so I'm guessing it was important to get the Portuguese language and accent just right.)
    Maybe no Black actors auditioned...which leaves us in the very same place we started...the best person for the job, got it.
    Yeah, there's a lot of factors we don't know here. Especially since this was decades ago when VAs weren't as numerous. Casting is hard actually. The people choosing actors can't just "find people"... that's what talent agencies are for. A lot of the most popular ones get work because the people casting already know them, and choose them based on prior experience.