Page 198 of 325 FirstFirst ... 98148188194195196197198199200201202208248298 ... LastLast
Results 2,956 to 2,970 of 4866
    Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Between that, Deadpool & Wolverine's trailer views and Bob Iger's comments about how Marvel will prioritize their biggest franchises going forward, it's hard not to speculate that Disney might fast-track more X-Men stuff in the near future instead of jerking around and making us wait until 202X for a proper X-Men reboot.

depends on the box office of movie one. if it hits the mcu belongs to the X-MEN
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Between that, Deadpool & Wolverine's trailer views and Bob Iger's comments about how Marvel will prioritize their biggest franchises going forward, it's hard not to speculate that Disney might fast-track more X-Men stuff in the near future instead of jerking around and making us wait until 202X for a proper X-Men reboot.
    They need to take their time, but at the same time not drag their feet either. With the right direction and Feige's precision, the X-Men can really keep Marvel Studios in business ALONE for the next ten years.

2028: Marvel has sabotaged the Avengers and all their other franchises to keep X-Men as their dominant brand. The Avengers title have one movie every three years. Avengers comics have struggled to leave an impact, as they've been whittled down to the main book and a couple of satellite titles. The XvA event lead to their humiliating defeat at the hands of the X-Men, and Atlanteans vs Avengers saw long-running the team being pushed to the brink of extinction.

The tabled have turned.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Spectacular Member Maine Starfish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    A false equivalency between opinions of hate and people who simply want to exist side-by-side is ignorant, at best, but it seems outright malicious.
    this post, or part of a post, deserves some focus and I think is what some of you are missing in this conversation

all of the 'both sides' or 'opposing viewpoints' or 'fighting fire with fire' you are all missing the point expressed above, some views are not worth listening to, some views are not worth giving attention or consideration

and when you defend those hateful views, you give validation to them, you encourage the people who believe in those hateful views to continue sharing them, and embolden them to share those hateful views publicly, which only further endangers already marginalized people

this is why inclusion is actually a good thing, even when it's just one character in a cartoon who happens to be non binary

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    2028: Marvel has sabotaged the Avengers and all their other franchises to keep X-Men as their dominant brand. The Avengers title have one movie every three years. Avengers comics have struggled to leave an impact, as they've been whittled down to the main book and a couple of satellite titles. The XvA event lead to their humiliating defeat at the hands of the X-Men, and Atlanteans vs Avengers saw long-running the team being pushed to the brink of extinction.

The tabled have turned.
    Also Captain America has done Hitler -level crime off panel.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I've been lurking and reading and gotta say, some of these posts are very much like the "So much for the tolerant Left" meme with Cap punching Red Skull.
    I'm thinking the idea might be, reach out to those you can. Not everyone who espouses hate is irredeemable, but some value their hate more than even their own lives. It's a fuzzy line to figure out who can be reached and who you shouldn't bother even considering reaching out towards - especially since the patience of the person doing the reaching out varies based on who it is. I don't have the answers here, so I can't tell you who you should be more considerate of and who should be shut down (not only do I not know YOU very well, I don't know the THEM you are dealing with in the least).
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I'm thinking the idea might be, reach out to those you can. Not everyone who espouses hate is irredeemable, but some value their hate more than even their own lives. It's a fuzzy line to figure out who can be reached and who you shouldn't bother even considering reaching out towards - especially since the patience of the person doing the reaching out varies based on who it is. I don't have the answers here, so I can't tell you who you should be more considerate of and who should be shut down (not only do I not know YOU very well, I don't know the THEM you are dealing with in the least).
    Yes exactly!

To tie this back to 97', I tend to really dislike Xavier for his naivety in lots of story-lines, but I do agree with his basic idea that I don't think many people are 'evil', even if they are capable of very evil actions. (e.g Rogue, Magneto, Emma, etc...)

Honestly I find it a bit frustrating we don't usually get turnarounds in the opposite directions, characters that were prominent mutant-haters that later on end up being allies of the X-Men. Only one that comes to mind is Kavita Rao and Dr Nemesis? Though honestly, those needed more time to cook TBH, as I didn't find their heel-turns that convincing. We'll see what happens with the Orchis doctor that I forget the name of...

Since that is the type of win we should be seeing and is Xavier's goal.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 02-21-2024 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Personally, I'm tired of giving them the "benefit of the doubt." We've been doing it for decades now and there's more than enough info out for them to educate themselves, if they really cared. But they don't.
    That's fair. I don't think you need to, people should be responsible for their own growth and actions. Hopefully I don't come across as minimizing the struggles people who face discrimination or prejudice in their day to day have to deal with. That's not the intent.

As for the bolded section, you can ignore this tangent but here are my thoughts why it isn't that simple.

spoilers:
    I think the issue here is people have very strong confirmation biases, they want to hear or read about evidence that supports their views that are already formed. Contradictory information is met with a lot of resistance once information is settled. People that grew up in families that propose certain viewpoints, typically consume the same type of media even once they've left their parents households. Just as it's exhausting to talk about change, it's also a lot of energy for a person to really self-reflect and change information they've received or consumed for years or even decades. From what I've observed this is usually a mix of loyalty to values that were instilled in them at an early age, a misguided way of empowerment and distrust of outside institutions acting in good faith. That doesn't really excuse the behavior, but becomes a bit more... readable.

Motivation is another factor, a person facing discrimination becomes conscious of their status as a person of color, a woman, or any other disenfranchised minority due to the reactions of people around them and how they are treated. This in turn motivates some of those people to learn more about why they have that label or position. A person that comes from a more... privileged or homologous background is less motivated to seek out that information willingly. Especially when they broach the topic from a place of ignorance and are attacked for it. But again, it's a mix of issues that all contribute.

I'm actually a big believer that schools should have a responsibility to teach more social, multi-cultural and life skills; stuff that is usually limited more to college-level talk but could be translated for younger audiences, to at least expose people to different view-points at an earlier age where they might be more willing to learn. But even on that approach, there is resistance to these type of concepts sadly. Parents definitely feel very strongly about policing information their children receive, instead of letting children naturally question why things are the way they are and encouraging exploration of ideas and thorough information gathering.
    end of spoilers

Anyway, this discussion got off-topic many pages ago and I feel bad for people who just want to talk about the actual cartoon and not read paragraphs regarding socio-cultural discourse, so I'll try to refrain adding to more of it. Even if it is X-Men. But thank you for the discussion!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Thank you both for so eloquently demonstrating my point.

Yeah, this hits it out of the park.^
    No, no. Let's demonstrate further. What were the opinions that the woke oppressors came down on you for? Let's hear them lmaooo

And no, that doesn't "hit it out of the park". You don't have a giant killer robot? That's crazy. I keep mine on me every day.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 02-22-2024 at 07:09 AM.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    And just to add, as a 33 year old black man, you know what else gets tiring? Seeing other people butcher and bleach the meaning of ‘woke’.

It’s annoying.
    I think it's hilarious. In its oldest form, staying woke meant not falling asleep in a sundown town or you might wake up south of a tree branch. When I see all these out of touch conservatives and dumb youtubers losing their minds over the term, it's like damn: These cats are genuinely offended by people not wanting to get lynched.

When did life turn into a Coehn brothers movie?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Are they actually setting this in ‘97’? I know that’s the title and when the original ended, but I figured they would be subtlety ‘updating’ it like they updated the animation, etc.. Has anyone heard any thing more about that?
    Didn't they directly display dates at certain points?

Besides the cultural, technology and aesthetic in the original clearly being set in the 90's, that would quite heavily restrict their ability to "hand wave" everything as having always taken place in the 2020's.

Contrast Superman and Batman TAS which quite clearly went with certain vague retro-aesthetics (1920's for Batman, 1950's for Superman) right from the start freeing their shared universe from having to actualy adhere to the standards of any time period including the 90's.

So it would make sense that the TAS '97 team would have to stick with the fictional world they inherit being stuck in the 90's.

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

Now that part is the only thing I can't buy about the Morph storyline. I mean look it's set in the late 90s, people were even more ignorant then than they still are now. Characters using the correct pronouns then is unbelievable.

But whatever.
    Perhaps. Although terms like nonbinary and the use of they/them pronouns may not have been widely known then-- this experience and type of person still existed. We just called them androgynous at that time.

There were androgynous people when I was in middle and high school in the 90s.

Now that part is the only thing I can't buy about the Morph storyline. I mean look it's set in the late 90s, people were even more ignorant then than they still are now. Characters using the correct pronouns then is unbelievable.

But whatever.
    Bishop is literally from the future. If you can buy that then you can just assume Bishop brought the pronouns back with him!

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    Bishop is literally from the future. If you can buy that then you can just assume Bishop brought the pronouns back with him!
    Every work of art is influenced heavily by the time it was made as much or even more than the time it is set in.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    That's... not the sort of thing Bishop came to talk to them about, sicne this version... didn't spend much time.... chatting.