Page 49 of 342 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999149 ... LastLast

People will get mad about anything. An actress chose to give her role to a person who fits the character description better, and X-men fans of all people are whining...wild. If it helps, just pretend this is a new show with little association with the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    People will get mad about anything. An actress chose to give her role to a person who fits the character description better, and X-men fans of all people are whining...wild. If it helps, just pretend this is a new show with little association with the other one.
    I didn't want to get involved, seriously... but you know WHAT DUBBING ACTORS ARE... they don't have to be or seem to be the same race as the character SINCE THEY ARE ONLY LENDING THEIR VOICES... this is not a live action ...... how that fits better?
    are voices, now the voices have specific ethnic groups?

I think they are taking this too far XD, if it were a live action I would understand, but IT IS VOICE DUBBING WTF, and as far as jubs was born in the USA and specifically if he has an accent he is Californian but anyway, the actress "decided" to do that the real reason only she and those involved know.

But it's not a new show. For all intents and purposes she created the version of Jubilee that's in this show. How could anyone fit better than that?

I can understand where both sides are coming from, to be honest. The voice actress likely got the job because she had talent and fit Jubilee, which should be the most important thing when picking a voice for a character. Regardless of the actress' intentions or not, it'd be a controversial move to take the Jubilee role now, and it could potentially hurt her image and career. So while it might have been her choice, she didn't really have much of a choice. It'd also be sad to lose a voice that people have known for 30 years.

At the same time, I'm all for bringing in more talent. Especially talent that wouldn't have had a shot earlier, given how insular and closed-off the voice acting racket is. On top of that, while racism may not have played a role in an Asian actress not getting the role in the past, racism and prejudice has been a problem in the entertainment industry as a whole. A younger, Asian actress would also bring authenticity to the role, and it could elevate their voice. Plus it's not like Alyson is gone from the show, so it's not like she's being screwed out of the job because of Twitter sensibilities.

There's more nuance to each side than what I mentioned. But regardless of the debate, I think we can all agree that we need Roger Craig Smith to come back and voice Hellion, just like he did in Wolverine and the X-Men.
    Last edited by Rift; 06-01-2022 at 08:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    But it's not a new show. For all intents and purposes she created the version of Jubilee that's in this show. How could anyone fit better than that?
    But with all due respect, why does that matter? The voices of other characters are going to be changing anyway. This was her choice, and she made the right call.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    (...) There's more nuance to each side than what I mentioned. But regardless of the debate, I think we can all agree that we need Roger Craig Smith to come back and voice Hellion, just like he did in Wolverine and the X-Men.
    Sure if he actualy gets more to say and do. Though at least he got a voiced appearance, which given it was the last new X-men cartoon for 12 years was still quite lucky for him overall. Also he stuck around until the last episode, which is more than Firestar could say.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    It really shouldn’t be called X-Men ‘97 if they are going to be A) Taking concepts and characters from after that time period, and B) Pulling stunts like depriving viewers from enjoying Jubilee’s voice actress reprise her role because of the moronic notion that voice actors now have to match the race of the character they’re voicing.

It would be an actual continuation if they put the old writers and directors in charge and treated it like a time capsule, where they wouldn’t write what wouldn’t fit in the year of the series’ final season.
    Yes, this is going to be a disaster. Nostalgic bait.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    It really shouldn’t be called X-Men ‘97 if they are going to be A) Taking concepts and characters from after that time period, and B) Pulling stunts like depriving viewers from enjoying Jubilee’s voice actress reprise her role because of the moronic notion that voice actors now have to match the race of the character they’re voicing.

It would be an actual continuation if they put the old writers and directors in charge and treated it like a time capsule, where they wouldn’t write what wouldn’t fit in the year of the series’ final season.
    Alyson herself decided to step down for asian voice actresses to have a chance, if she doesn't want to do it then she shouldn't be forced to do so for the sake of nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm kind of curious if they cast for someone more ethnically accurate and who could replicate Alyson's Jubilee voice (she was 19 when she played Jubilee in the original cartoon so I feel like she would've sounded different one way or another).
    I wonder if it would, her Claire voice is unchanged compared to RE2 besides her voice acting not sucking afterwards.

Then again, Claire's voice is closer to her own, while Jubilee's is... Something else entirely lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    So who will be voicing the characters in the foreign dubs?

Will the backround of their voice actors also be a major concern?
    Depends if other countries care about such things, if they don't they'll call whoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylarmax View Post
    I didn't want to get involved, seriously... but you know WHAT DUBBING ACTORS ARE... they don't have to be or seem to be the same race as the character SINCE THEY ARE ONLY LENDING THEIR VOICES... this is not a live action ...... how that fits better?
    are voices, now the voices have specific ethnic groups?
    It can help if the character and voice actor went through similar stuff, and being of the same race helps with that, otherwise, whatever.

I think they are taking this too far XD, if it were a live action I would understand, but IT IS VOICE DUBBING WTF, and as far as jubs was born in the USA and specifically if he has an accent he is Californian but anyway, the actress "decided" to do that the real reason only she and those involved know.
    I mean Alyson herself says she doesn't want to lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    There's more nuance to each side than what I mentioned. But regardless of the debate, I think we can all agree that we need Roger Craig Smith to come back and voice Hellion, just like he did in Wolverine and the X-Men.
    I had no idea he did that, man his voice range is pretty noticeable lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Sure if he actualy gets more to say and do. Though at least he got a voiced appearance, which given it was the last new X-men cartoon for 12 years was still quite lucky for him overall. Also he stuck around until the last episode, which is more than Firestar could say.
    I forgot Firestar was in that lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Oh yeah, I remember a few of the New X-Men/Academy X kids being in WaTXM (mostly cameos). Probably helped that Chris Kyle and Craig Yost were part of it.

Hoping to see Cable wearing some version of his blue/gold X-men uniform that he wore in the mid to late 90s…

4BD0A8AC-C971-4098-9262-95AC3407A61F.jpg 4EB0757A-C0E9-40AA-9CEA-4E1175DC7DF1.jpg

He was such a frequent guest-star back in the day on this show, I think it would be cool to highlight that at this point he’s basically adopted their uniform and become a satellite member of the team. Maybe the same for some other frequent guest-stars as well. Make them honorary team members, or part of Xavier’s Underground or even X-Corps or something like that.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Hoping to see Cable wearing some version of his blue/gold X-men uniform that he wore in the mid to late 90s…

4BD0A8AC-C971-4098-9262-95AC3407A61F.jpg 4EB0757A-C0E9-40AA-9CEA-4E1175DC7DF1.jpg

He was such a frequent guest-star back in the day on this show, I think it would be cool to highlight that at this point he’s basically adopted their uniform and become a satellite member of the team. Maybe the same for some other frequent guest-stars as well. Make them honorary team members, or part of Xavier’s Underground or even X-Corps or something like that.
    I hope Cable is in the new season, at least a cameo if we can’t get a team up/time travel ep. maybe he gets stuck in present day, with or without the blue/gold uni.

Was the last we saw him in the show at the end of Beyond Good and Evil?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post

It's still funny that Cable appears in the Japanese openings for X-Men TAS.
    "Cable was right!"

True, though he was one of the more reoccurring supporting cast lol.

I kinda hope the mansion opens up to more members kinda like Evolution did. It was fun seeing who was hanging out and seeing the younger crowd mess around. Plus Jubilee needs friends her own age.

I don't know if Lawrence Bayne is even still alive, but if they can get him back I will be a happy camper. He will always be the voice of Cable in my mind.

I know the Secret War X-Men '92 comic had Cable forming his own X-Force team. I feel like we might see them do their own takes on establishing the New Mutants or other X-Teams.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    True, though he was one of the more reoccurring supporting cast lol.
    Indeed. At least he actualy appears in the show and has some storyline. It would have been stranger if they picked and showed a character prominently who doesn't even appear in the show but might have looked cool to the makers of that intro.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I kinda hope the mansion opens up to more members kinda like Evolution did. It was fun seeing who was hanging out and seeing the younger crowd mess around. Plus Jubilee needs friends her own age.
    It's funny to look back and think about who they picked as 2nd gen students in that show. Mostly New Mutants but also Jubilee, Multiple Man and most suprisingly Berzerker who was a one appearance Morlock in the comics.

We as comic readers should always stay aware that those who make adapations for the screens will not adhere to the comics, because they have their own visions or the comic versions won't simply fit into the alternate universe they created.
    Sure it's nice if they respect the source material, but these days i don't mind them diverting from it, if the end result is satisfying.

It certainly didn't bother me with Evolution.

That being said, i wonder which oddball choice they might pick as "new students" for this TAS add-on season?