Page 51 of 352 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

I miss the mansion aspect of the xmen tas all living together. Seems it was the only place since the movies that it wasn’t a school and just the xmen living together and learning in the danger room

Tbh I’ve always hated the x-mansion as a legit school with hundreds of students walking around attending classes. All those no-names are just dead weight. I don’t want to see storm giving a math lecture to a room full of pre-teens. The mansion should have a max of 30 mutants living it, no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    Tbh I’ve always hated the x-mansion as a legit school with hundreds of students walking around attending classes. All those no-names are just dead weight. I don’t want to see storm giving a math lecture to a room full of pre-teens. The mansion should have a max of 30 mutants living it, no more.
    Ah, for the days of the New Mutants/Academy X/New X-Men...

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

This would be my ideal setup for the MCU's X-Men. There's no point in having hundreds of no-name students, I'd much rather have a more manageable number with the characters from New Mutants, Generation X, Academy X etc making up the student body, getting their own "Xavier Institute" Disney+ show and slowly getting set up as potential replacements for the main X-Men team down the line.

Re Jubilees voice actress:

I don’t particularly care but with all issues minority I tend to adopt the attitude of; If I don’t belong to the minority, I don’t really put much stock in my opinion.

I’m much more interested in hearing how Asian Americans feel about both sides of it.

Aside from jubilee, my selfish side would love Alyson court just because I love her from other projects (namely resident evil franchise). But I think it’s classy she said an Asian American should do it. (Feel free to call it a PR stunt, but even if so she gave up work for it, so I respect it).
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Re mcu xmen, I predict based on Disney’s model that the place will be a school with real students. Not saying I prefer that but I think that’s how it’ll be. They already have no name characters in the hundreds/thousands in the background. I see them seeing the school thing being no problem without having to address it.

I mean the heros constantly fight in big cities without addressing all the No name people affected. I don’t see that changing if they want to have the mansion be a school.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Astonishing Member

One major problem with the big school concept is also that it essentialy ties the X-men down with a responcibility that is not only added on top of their primary (narrative) one as super heros, but even overshadows it in personal importance, since unlike general protection of the public which is an (relative) occasional activity in universe, the protection and education of the school kids is a permanent 24/7 situation for them.

After all, everytime they go on an adventure they essentialy leave the children and youths who's safety they are directly responcible for behind with a vastly decreased level of defense (or none at all). Which means any harm that comes to them is their direct responcibiltiy and failure.

Harm that HAS come to them multiple times and resulted in deaths of some of them.

Even worse the super hero activity of the X-men directly even draws danger to the school, not only because they live there and there are a lot of people who hold grudges against them personaly, but it's also their base of operation therefor making it a prime target for anyone who wants to destroy that too.
    Let's not forget the issue of gathering hundreds of mutant children in a singular, easily accessible, publicly known place making them an easier targets for anyone who wants to harm mutants.

Which means there are three seperated bullseyes on the students at all time and two of them are directly tied to X-men's (now) secondary activity as super heros.

To make matters worse all of this was directly shown to be the case in the very first three years the big school concept was introduced in during Morrison's run by the writer himself. Meanwhile on the big screen the very second X-men movie allready showed this issue too.

So in a way right of the start both media in which the concept were introduced to showed why it's actualy a bad idea overall. That was 20 years ago.

And then there is also the problem of restricting the characters in their personal activities, since they now all have the same day job which as mentioned above comes with a large amount of responcibility for the health and safety of others, hence can't be ignored or left aside for too long either. This locks them in their role as teachers, or else they will look irresponcible. Plus they now also need to constantly make the mistakes and failures of teachers in high school dramas in order for their students to have the usualy school stories.

These problems are also present in the current status quo only now they aren't teachers responcible for a hundred or so kids, they are politicians, military leaders and company heads of a nation and responcible for the lives and safety of millions of people. So in a way we haven't moved past the big school concept, Hickman actualy made it worse by inflating it drastically to a nation.

What ever it's a mutant school or mutant nation, i personaly think the heros should stay out of it. Be supporters and keeping a watchfull eye, but never being directly involved or responcible. So other characters or groups can be left to make the big mistakes so the actual indepedent heros can swoop in and resolve the problems without looking worse.

Also a relative small body of students or trainees can indeed still work, since they require less attention and superivision constantly than a full school.

Fantastic Member

The mansion (non school/teacher aspect) lets the xmen live at their home base and be super heroes. Looking forward to that in the show still as many comics and shows/movies have had the school aspect.

Also cameos...lots and lots of cameos...

Fantastic Member

With only 10 episodes for the season I hope they don’t waste time just cramming cameos of students in just to make fans excited and point at the screen. They have done a great job in the past (slave island was a vhs I would pause and just try to id characters) and am excited to see what the new season brings.

I'm sure they'll spend some time establishing things first, but I don't think introducing some new characters is a bad thing. It is a long-running series, even if revived and revamped. Some new blood would do it some good. Just... controlled lol, like one class of students. (e.g. the New Mutants or Generation X)

Both of which were around during the 80s and 90s anyway.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I'm sure they'll spend some time establishing things first, but I don't think introducing some new characters is a bad thing. It is a long-running series, even if revived and revamped. Some new blood would do it some good. Just... controlled lol, like one class of students. (e.g. the New Mutants or Generation X)

Both of which were around during the 80s and 90s anyway.
    Word. A generation X episode with white queen would be cool as yeah it was around then. I just wonder how literal the ‘97 will be in relation to the continuity and story possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I also hope the Xavier Institute is a real school in the cartoon. This way we can include a lot of other characters even though they may be background. Evolution handled the school very well and some of my fav episodes featured the kids.

Some fans hate the school as a real school but it was something the X-men movies did right (imo) and it had a great effect on Grant Morrison's X-men. They (Morrison) made the school work and I love the X-men having day jobs and being professionals but still being an emergency and rescue operation. It was the best of both worlds (of course some X-men just shouldn't be teachers like Rogue and Gambit but others like Xavier, Beast, Emma, and Jean are perfect for a school setting imo).
    This reminds me of the ep where there's 2 unique to the cartoon students with interesting powers... ok technically not students of Xavier, Andrew and Nicole were Dr. Prescott's students, but still.

I kinda suspect that it's the conservation of Ninjutsu logic, can't have too many superheroes or they're less cool and special. Like the Skull Mesa episode... in general... more Mutants than Asteroid M, enough for a proper army.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Re Jubilees voice actress:

I don’t particularly care but with all issues minority I tend to adopt the attitude of; If I don’t belong to the minority, I don’t really put much stock in my opinion.

I’m much more interested in hearing how Asian Americans feel about both sides of it.

Aside from jubilee, my selfish side would love Alyson court just because I love her from other projects (namely resident evil franchise). But I think it’s classy she said an Asian American should do it. (Feel free to call it a PR stunt, but even if so she gave up work for it, so I respect it).
    Not a direct response to this post, but regarding the same subject.

I think that while it may seem a bit silly to cast voices based on ethnicity, I do think it's a noble gesture to try to put in a mechanism to cast more people from different ethnic backgrounds.

It could also result in some interesting things. In the original show, Jubilee was just starting to come into her own and be a more active participant just as the show ended. The new casting could play into that. Maybe the new actress could give more credence to the idea of it being a "grown-up" Jubilee. And if Alyson Court's involved but not playing her trademark character from the show, it may give her a little more chance to show off her range. I'm kind of thinking of it like how they would recast the dub actors for very different roles in different seasons of Digimon. In season one and two, Kath Soucie was the upbeat and hopeful Kari Kamiya. In season three, she played the main kids' cynical teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylarmax View Post
    Why couldn't they teach?
    if we can know?

Gambit speaks two languages, Rogue is known to also speak English and French and from what has been seen here and there also SPANISH, in addition to having advanced knowledge of automotive and aircraft mechanics.

And Gambit could teach defense classes (Rogue too) to say the least, and languages ​​that neither Jean nor Emma I think would be trained.

The only difference I see between the ones you named and Gambit and Rogue is that the others are already middle aged (except emma who is also young) and Rogue and Remy are quite young.
    I don't mean to offend, but I just don't see them the teacher type. They could certainly have staff positions though.