Page 54 of 348 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I believe X-Men 97 should and will be done with a slightly older audience in mind. I'm not talking about "mature viewers" but I fully expect a level of sophistication the original show didn't have. Again, not in terms of gore or sex or nudity but more in the storytelling. A good example would be Kevin Smith's He-Man: Revelations, whose characters and stories were infinitely more complex than the original ones.
    I would love to see a sophisfificated x-men animated series for a modern audience. However the series will stream on Disney +. I believe a series with a less younger audience in mind will be the direction the series will take.

I believe X-Men 97 should and will be done with a slightly older audience in mind. I'm not talking about "mature viewers" but I fully expect a level of sophistication the original show didn't have. Again, not in terms of gore or sex or nudity but more in the storytelling. A good example would be Kevin Smith's He-Man: Revelations, whose characters and stories were infinitely more complex than the original ones.
    Bad example, that series is horrible and completely detestable, just to fulfill a political agenda, with reason the critics and the fans destroyed it and with good reason, a series of masters of the universe without HE-Man being the main character????? lol.
    just to push a character.
    that it was filler and that nobody cared but the most important thing IS NOT THE ORIGINAL PROTAGONIST, HENCE THE FAILURE to fulfill a political agenda.

X-men does not need that, most of its most powerful and popular characters are women( Rogue/ Jean/ storm/ emma ), I think that the 90's series, despite being old, touched on deep issues, it is an animated series, nudity is superfluous.
    For that, wait until they reach the live action.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sylarmax View Post
    Bad example, that series is horrible and completely detestable, just to fulfill a political agenda, with reason the critics and the fans destroyed it and with good reason, a series of masters of the universe without HE-Man being the main character????? lol.
    just to push a character.
    that it was filler and that nobody cared but the most important thing IS NOT THE ORIGINAL PROTAGONIST, HENCE THE FAILURE to fulfill a political agenda.
    They just announced it's been renewed for a second season so someone must have liked it LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I think the concept of Krakoa can exist but the X-Men spearheading it without the push and experience from multiple extinction events? It took a long time to break their spirits and really make them see isolationism as a option as opposed to integration. To be fair, they haven't completely given up on integration, but they'd definitely fallen into more grey area regarding relations with humans. Going so far as to ban humans without hard ties to a mutant from entering Krakoa. I do think you need the extinction plots to explain this huge change in a lot of characters thinking, especially for characters like Jean and Cyclops who most believed in Xavier's dream. Heck Xavier himself from the 90s might have turned up his nose at Krakoa... before the Moira recton anyway.

I don't think the "mutants always lose" is enough unless you basically explain to the entire mutant population why they are being shuffled off to an isolated island. It shouldn't work for most characters to get cut off like that.

It works for some mutants to see Genosha as a viable option, but the 90s X-Men were always more optimistic and hopeful regarding the dream.
    yeah, this. NO version ever had Mutants as a whole self isolate. You had groups here and there, but not this idea that EVERYONE had to gather under one roof.

I think the concept of Krakoa can exist but the X-Men spearheading it without the push and experience from multiple extinction events? It took a long time to break their spirits and really make them see isolationism as a option as opposed to integration. To be fair, they haven't completely given up on integration, but they'd definitely fallen into more grey area regarding relations with humans. Going so far as to ban humans without hard ties to a mutant from entering Krakoa. I do think you need the extinction plots to explain this huge change in a lot of characters thinking, especially for characters like Jean and Cyclops who most believed in Xavier's dream. Heck Xavier himself from the 90s might have turned up his nose at Krakoa... before the Moira recton anyway.

I don't think the "mutants always lose" is enough unless you basically explain to the entire mutant population why they are being shuffled off to an isolated island. It shouldn't work for most characters to get cut off like that.

It works for some mutants to see Genosha as a viable option, but the 90s X-Men were always more optimistic and hopeful regarding the dream.
    Thing is though, the way Hickman did it doesn't work that well either, since every mutant ever decided to go to Krakoa and accept mutants who killed mutants before lol.

So while comics are slightly more believable, there are still logic issues with the way characters were acting a lot, to the point it was commonly theorized that Xavier brainwashed everyone.

But yeah, regardless, for Krakoa to happen, they'd need a proper setup for it, otherwise having characters be isolated all of a sudden just doesn't work.

They just announced it's been renewed for a second season so someone must have liked it LOL
    While I can't speak for that He-Man cartoon, bad shows getting renewals is nothing new.

For me, I'll always be completely baffled at why Netflix's Castlevania cartoon is so liked, 'cause I think it's bad at best by itself, really boring at worst, and it's one of the worst adaptations I've seen, which I don't say lightly, it actively disrespects fans of the games (Which was pretty similar to how DmC: Devil may Cry reboot did with the original games) and doesn't give a fuck about trying to understand the spirit of the games.

So yeah, point is, people liking stuff really doesn't mean quality, unfortunately...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

I did coz FINALLY justice for Teela and Evil-Lyn lol. Also how can anyone complain about those two characters being the leads when freaking Sarah Michelle Gellar and Lena Headey are voicing them?

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I did coz FINALLY justice for Teela and Evil-Lyn lol. Also how can anyone complain about those two characters being the leads when freaking Sarah Michelle Gellar and Lena Headey are voicing them?
    Well, anyone who still doesn't like Chris Wood I guess .

X-Villains would probably blush at Evil-Lyn getting away with destroying Heaven. But I guess she has a dead animal under her belt like Emma.

Astonishing Member

Thankfully none of the cartoons so far had to stick to the terrible status quos and storylines of the post 2000 X-men comics, starting with Morrison's New X-men and his wanton destruction of Genosha with random pointless death of 16 million mutants just to prop up his new villain Cassandra Nova and some story about humans being genetically programmed to die out if someone better comes around.
    Instead just filtering out things which worked and trying to intigrate them into a much less bleak base setting. Like Hellion.

Infact that destruction of Genosha via Sentinels was treated as apocalyptic event that needs to be prevented in Wolverine and the X-men (not only because it led to the Days of Future Past style future).
    Meanwhile the cliffhanger for the never made season 2 actualy shows that a dark dystopial future could just as easily come from evil mutants via Apocalypse. Creating a balanced narrative between what normal humans and mutants alike could unleash on the world if not stopped by heros.

So yeah, there is very little reason for anyone to ever establish Krakoa as it currently exist in the comics.

Astonishing Member

I'm just going to be honest here guys. I hope they don't work "The Nation of Krakoa" into the cartoon. Because I have not found it particularly interesting up to this point. But then I typically don't find "superhero countries" particularly interesting in general. This goes for Krakoa's predecessors like Avalon, Genosha and Utopia. But it also goes for Atlantis, Wakanda, Attilan, etc (Wakanda was interesting in the Black Panther movie, but I don't think I'd like to read about it in little bits for months on end). Heck, the only time I ever found Asgard interesting was when it was floating over a field in Oklahoma.

I just haven't found myself able to connect with "X-Men as foreign dignitaries". Heck, I could barely connect to "X-Men as teachers". Mentally and emotionally, I still default back to "X-Men as found family of dramatic, dysfunctional misfits".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I'm just going to be honest here guys. I hope they don't work "The Nation of Krakoa" into the cartoon. Because I have not found it particularly interesting up to this point. But then I typically don't find "superhero countries" particularly interesting in general. This goes for Krakoa's predecessors like Avalon, Genosha and Utopia. But it also goes for Atlantis, Wakanda, Attilan, etc (Wakanda was interesting in the Black Panther movie, but I don't think I'd like to read about it in little bits for months on end). Heck, the only time I ever found Asgard interesting was when it was floating over a field in Oklahoma.

I just haven't found myself able to connect with "X-Men as foreign dignitaries". Heck, I could barely connect to "X-Men as teachers". Mentally and emotionally, I still default back to "X-Men as found family of dramatic, dysfunctional misfits".
    Looking back at the past 22 years i came to feel that both concepts have great story and world building potential but the X-men/heros should not be directly involved in it for several reasons like:
    1. It locks them down in a "day job" of being primarily involved in these institutions, restricting their freedom as super heros and the privacy of their downtimes.
    2. It heaps additional responcibility on them that will just make them look worse when the expected crisis or attacks on these things occur and they couldn't have intercepted them despite their qualities and powers. This is not an issue when they are occupied elsewhere or require time to responce because of not being directly tied to the institutions. Instead the responcibility will be in the hands of intentionaly "weaker" civilians or less important fellow heros.
    3. Any flaw, oversight, mistake and failure of these institutions will be on them and not the above mentioned 2nd or 3rd party who the reader will logical assume to be more likely to make dumb mistakes or be less capable than the heros, in order to make the heros look better. Just like how the police can't catch the super criminals, the prison can't hold them, regular scientist can't develop the plot device that saves the day or the army can't stop the alien invasion.

So let there be a school for mutants with classes of minor characters. Let there be a small high tech nation of mutants what ever it's a freed former slaver state or made by some weird conspiracy of universe rebooting precogs. Or maybe even a government office for mutants exclusively staffed with them.

But don't let the heros be the leaders or even involved. Let them be the third party that swoops in and saves the day when the "officials" or "teachers" are overwhelmed by the situation at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post

I feel almost the same way. Characters like Black Panther, Thor, and even Doom are cool and all, but I don't care about the "ruling of an entire nation" aspect of their character. It's why I don't care for the Utopia era with Cyclops and the Krakoa era Quiet Council stuff. I'm just not a fan of that royalty hierarchy stuff in general.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    I feel almost the same way. Characters like Black Panther, Thor, and even Doom are cool and all, but I don't care about the "ruling of an entire nation" aspect of their character. It's why I don't care for the Utopia era with Cyclops and the Krakoa era Quiet Council stuff. I'm just not a fan of that royalty hierarchy stuff in general.
    The Asgardians, Wakandans, and now the Krakoans are all about different societies and that do require some sort of leadership. As time went on franchises grew to tbe point where could not simply put every superhero team in NY like did in the 1970s with the Avengers, X-Men, and Fantastic Four.

With the way both the Avengers and mutants have grown, you can’t have major brawls in NYC as it would lead to lots of knocked over buildings.

Doesn’t work anymore.

BANNED

These days superhero stories tend to be more politically s d have lot more nuance than just straight up bad guys.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    The Asgardians, Wakandans, and now the Krakoans are all about different societies and that do require some sort of leadership. As time went on franchises grew to tbe point where could not simply put every superhero team in NY like did in the 1970s with the Avengers, X-Men, and Fantastic Four.

With the way both the Avengers and mutants have grown, you can’t have major brawls in NYC as it would lead to lots of knocked over buildings.

Doesn’t work anymore.
    Krakoa is like the origin story for the inhumans' Attilan/Utollan/Orollan, etc. They all exist for the same reason. Attilan had stories that the X-Men might adopt if they don't undo Krakoa before, like humans and villains trying to infiltrate and start wars against it.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

I wonder if they're going to do independent episodes where they go on mutant adventures to help random mutants on missions, or if they're going to do storyline events that focus on the X-Men.

I want to see Inferno if they make changes to Madelyn Pryor's character origin (the Scott stuff). The Dark Phoenix Saga was the most ambitious cartoon storyline along with the 90's Spider-Verse.

It would be terrible if they made the reboot like Wolverine and the X-Men or that other show. Anything, but lame and normal, but judging by how they toned down their costumes, it's probably going to be original stories that use modern shows as a base.