View Poll Results: Would you want to see it?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

51 83.61%
  • No

10 16.39%
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Are those creators going to be working on this show?
    It is Disney animated studio. To be honest, I really do see less quality input for x-men 97 because it has no strong ties to the MCU like what if and that will mean the production value could be as generic as the Spiderman the new animated series 2017 or the black panther cartoon that got only one season.

And yet Pixar does it all the time.
    Pixar movies are lovely. However DC animations are more mature and tackle unfiltered adult themes that Pixar does not.
    Which ones?
    Their ongoing animated movies universe, Halrey Quinn on HBO Max

It'd be quicker to list the Disney movies and shows that didn't go to dark places, but, to keep this short, try this on for size. The Disney-produced carton Gravity Falls is a prime example of how dark and mature the Mouse can go. Bear in mind that this's a children's cartoon, similar demographic to the old X-Men cartoon
    Many of their post 2010 cartoons like Frozen are not as dark as their 50s era. Also their live action of animated classic are not as dark. Most infamous would be Sleeping Beauty 1959 and Maleficent 2014. X-MEN is meant to be heavier than Disney on an average day

Popularity doesn't always equal quality, esp. with something with a heavy nostalgia factor. I mean, poking around online, you get the repeated caveat that the show is a product of its time, a far cry from how well other shows from the era have held up or proven to translate into the modern era.

Also, no way the X-Men cartoon was better than Spectacular Spider-Man.
    Ironic because I do always say this stuff that popularity does not mean quality when it comes to the nature of the genre of superheroes stuff today.

Popularity, quality and telling stories that will stand the test of time matters. it is nice to have all 3. I also have to laugh about Nostalgia since I am the person even saying marvel is beginning to rely on nostalgia both in movies and cartoon.

However that been said, X-MEN TAS was a land mark show for Marvel, that is pretty much how they view it and it is a show that was far more mature than all the marvel movies, cartoons, game that we have today, this is why the show has stood the test of time and at the same time the very wrong reason to reboot the show because the marvel of the 90s that was not afraid to push boundaries as they did with this show, is not the marvel now.

Additionally X-MEN TAS and Spectacular Spiderman are not in competition, they have their equal fanbase, since both shows are now considered classic marvel animations that many marvel animated fans usually use as good example to question why many marvel animations have not lived up to those shows.
    Last edited by Castle; 01-12-2022 at 05:11 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Not even a little true.
    DC cartoons do tend to disagree. I see X-MEN as an evolution just like their movies. they had X-Men, First Class, X2, DOFP. it made sense that the next step was to start making r rated films with the deadpool and logan films.

X-MEN has had 3 main animations. X-MEN TAS, X-MEN evolution, Wolverine and the X-MEN. The next step after this kinds of cartoons is to shift more to things like this.

This is the kind of bar and mature objective subject themes, I will like to see in a 4th mainstream animated series about X-MEN, especially after watching what Morph went through with Sinister and dealing with the idea the X-MEN betrayed him in X-MEN TAS. it is similar here to how Jason Toad feels about Batman. However the story now needs to be taken to how DC does things. Anything below that just feel like X-men in animation has not evolved in the same way as Batman has evolved since the early 90s after 5 animated series, if we count the X-MEN Anime in 2011 and Prdye of the X-Men in the late 1980s
    Last edited by Castle; 01-12-2022 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Pixar movies are lovely. However DC animations are more mature and tackle unfiltered adult themes that Pixar does not.
    This is straight up false regarding Pixar. Most of their movies other than Cars tackle mature themes and Soul has more mature themes than anything DC has ever put out. If you define adult themes as only violence and sex, but that's not what most art critics consider to be adult themes

Can you tell me what mature themes there are in Under the Red Hood or any of those DC animations? Soul is about determinism, meaning of life/death/after-life, and the philosophy of living. More mature than any violent story I've seen from DC
    Last edited by The Kid; 01-12-2022 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Can you tell me what mature themes there are in Under the Red Hood or any of those DC animations? Soul is about determinism, meaning of life/death/after-life, and the philosophy of living. More mature than any violent story I've seen from DC
    Just for UTRH, the nature of justice, death, what one is willing to do and sacrifice for their ideals and crusade, whether it's possible to really change anything significantly, what one must sacrifice to make that change, and whether it would really be worth it in the end, and what defines a hero.

It is Disney animated studio.
    Lucky us; Disney TV cartoons tend to be really good with mature themes.

To be honest, I really do see less quality input for x-men 97 because it has no strong ties to the MCU like what if and that will mean the production value could be as generic as the Spiderman the new animated series 2017 or the black panther cartoon that got only one season.
    Maybe, maybe not. Course, the original show was not known for its good production values to begin with...

No. I've seen very little DC animation that had has much depth as Pixar does. The classic Batman cartoon and movie come to mind, but their depth wasn't in the violence, but in the characters and themes. Anyone can splatter blood on the camera; it takes a good artist to make something profound out of it all.

Their ongoing animated movies universe, Halrey Quinn on HBO Max
    I've heard nothing but good things about Harley Quinn (although I'm a little surprised you're praising it, given that episode with the Snyder Cut cultist). I've seen a few of DC animated movies. Really liked Justice League vs The Fatal Five, Batman vs Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Batman: Hush, but, frankly, most of them aren't that deep or mature. The violence is usually just for its own sake (trying to make a G or PG story PG-13 or R in the most superficial way possible) and the themes are usually just the usual superhero stuff. As said before, Pixar makes more mature and deep content on their off days.

Consider this; Logan, Birds of Prey, and The Suicide Squad (James Gunn version) are all extremely violent R-rated superhero movies. All three of them have legitimate claim to being deep and mature entries in the genre (more so than the DC direct-to-video library overall). However, the violence itself isn't what makes it mature, but how its used to tell the story, the part where the depth actually is. Does that make any sense?

Many of their post 2010 cartoons like Frozen are not as dark as their 50s era.
    Don't think the evidence stacks up.

Beyond Big Hero 6, you also got Zootopia, Frozen II, Raya and the Last Dragon, and Encanto. I'm not even counting Pixar or short subjects like Far From the Tree (more depth there than in the average DC direct-to-video project, and in less than ten minutes, too). Some of them didn't work as well (Frozen II has it's issues and the Wreck-It Ralph movies, esp. the sequel, don't quite manage to tackle what they're trying to), but that accounts for the majority of of their output. And I'm not even counting their TV animation, Pixar, or short subjects (DC animation has yet to do anything on the level of Far From the Tree).

Also their live action of animated classic are not as dark. Most infamous would be Sleeping Beauty 1959 and Maleficent 2014. X-MEN is meant to be heavier than Disney on an average day
    And yet the Mouse is still the master.

Ironic because I do always say this stuff that popularity does not mean quality when it comes to the nature of the genre of superheroes stuff today.
    Indeed.

Popularity, quality and telling stories that will stand the test of time matters. it is nice to have all 3. I also have to laugh about Nostalgia since I am the person even saying marvel is beginning to rely on nostalgia both in movies and cartoon.
    Marvel Studios is phasing out their established, classic characters and introducing newer, lesser known ones to go forward. That's not nostalgia (and if you're even thinking about citing Spider-Man: No Way Home, remember that that movie did not play anything safe).

However that been said, X-MEN TAS was a land mark show for Marvel, that is pretty much how they view it and it is a show that was far more mature than all the marvel movies, cartoons, game that we have today, this is why the show has stood the test of time and at the same time the very wrong reason to reboot the show because the marvel of the 90s that was not afraid to push boundaries as they did with this show, is not the marvel now.
    How does the X-Men show "stand the test of time"? It couldn't live up to its contemporaries back in the day and modern animation has only raised the bar since in terms of quality of writing and production values.

Additionally X-MEN TAS and Spectacular Spiderman are not in competition, they have their equal fanbase, since both shows are now considered classic marvel animations that many marvel animated fans usually use as good example to question why many marvel animations have not lived up to those shows.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

While I did enjoy UTRH (to an extent. Judd Winick is a far better children's author than a comic book writer) I think we all really know why some prefer that particular piece of animation over others.

BLOOD!
    GUTS!
    STAB! STAB!
    SHOOT! SHOOT!
    MALE ANGST!
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

While I did enjoy UTRH (to an extent. Judd Winick is a far better children's author than a comic book writer) I think we all really know why some prefer that particular piece of animation over others.

BLOOD!
    GUTS!
    STAB! STAB!
    SHOOT! SHOOT!
    MALE ANGST!
    It was a well-made film.

It's like saying people only enjoy stuff like Invincible or Castlevania for the crass material and not how they handle adult or mature themes...well, that and the phenomenal action sequences.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It was a well-made film.

It's like saying people only enjoy stuff like Invincible or Castlevania for the crass material and not how they handle adult or mature themes...well, that and the phenomenal action sequences.
    Like I said, I enjoyed it (like I said, his children's books are better, though), but to say that there are absolutely no fans out there who don't like it for more shallow reasons is probably a fallacy at best. Kinda like the same people who root for Michael Douglas' character in Falling Down without realizing that he's really the bad guy. Or the fact that the first Rambo movie (First Blood) is actually about PTSD and just about some small town sheriff harassing a total "badass."
    Last edited by phonogram12; 01-13-2022 at 01:49 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Like I said, I enjoyed it (like I said, his children's books are better, though), but to say that there are absolutely no fans out there who don't like it for more shallow reasons is probably a fallacy at best.
    That's probably true for anything.

Extraordinary Member

That's probably true for anything.
    No argument. I just feel like it's obvious to the point of sticking out like a sore thumb on material like UTRH.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 01-13-2022 at 02:13 PM.

No argument. I just feel like it's obvious to the point of sticking out like a sore thumb on material like UTRH.
    But any more than most adult animation?

Extraordinary Member

But any more than most adult animation?
    That's why I said "material like." I wasn't aware that by "anything" you were specifying adult animation.

Honestly, I just think certain viewers of this type of material confuse mature with:

BLOOD!
    GUTS!
    STAB! STAB!
    SHOOT! SHOOT!
    MALE ANGST!
    The two can intersect, sure, but saying one can't do without the other is just untrue, plain and simple.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 01-13-2022 at 03:42 PM.

Words can not describe how excited I am for this series! The 90s X-Men series was (and still remains) my favorite show of all time! Nothing else compared. I have literally had dozens of dreams about someone finding “lost tapes” of unaired episodes and just the feeling in those dreams was more exciting than anything I have experienced in “real life” since the series ended. Seriously, as I said in the book “Previously…On X-Men”, when this show ended, it was like my best friend died. This show was all I had. Nothing in my life has ever brought me that level of enthusiasm since. I literally once chose to stay home by myself one weekend while my family went on vacation simply because there was a new episode of X-Men airing that Saturday and with our VCR timer not working, there was no way I could risk missing an episode of my most cherished show. The immense impact that the 90s X-Men had on my childhood (from the show, comics, action figures, trading cards, etc.) could not possibly be overstated.

What’s crazy is that roughly a month before this show was announced, I had my most current dream of this series being brought back. I remember that the storyline took place after “Graduation Day” when Magneto super-charged Xavier’s mind, it somehow transferred Magneto’s conscience into Xavier and that caused Xavier to have split personalities and he would psychically attack the broken X-Men from Lilandra’s homeworld, until he eventually returned to Earth as Onslaught! I was so excited in my dream that that is when I woke up. But I was so disappointed (as usual) to learn that it was only just a dream. So when I heard confirmation that “X-Men ‘97” was going to happen, it was the best news I have heard in over two decades! I think the ONLY thing I am bummed about is knowing that with it being a Disney+ release, that the chances are very slim that it will ever get a proper DVD release. Anyway, I just truly hope that Disney/Marvel doesn’t blow this incredible opportunity.
    Some bands I love: Katatonia, Tool, Flaw, Within Temptation, Breaking Benjamin, Evergrey, The Panic Division, Bush, The Birthday Massacre, Silverchair ('94-'01), Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Autumn, Klone, A Perfect Circle, Starset, This Misery Garden, Evanescence, Dead Letter Circus, Pallbearer, The Foreshadowing & tons more!

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

I've been feeling so starved as an X-Men fan in regards to new media, so I'm really excited for this
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them