View Poll Results: Would you want to see it?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

50 83.33%
  • No

10 16.67%
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Here are some interviews with the original creators of this series. They reveal some bits about the revival, including that "it's a continuation - a few months later - of where we left off..."; the "team said...we're gonna show the melodrama," and "[we're] gonna tell adult stories without worrying if it'll be kid-friendly." I'm just at the beginning of the Power of X-Men Podcast interview.

BANNED

It is very misguided and a poor thought out concept for Disney to revive this show, despite the fact I have talked about this show a lot and its legacy. Disney may be making the same mistake as they did with Star Wars.

They are banking on the show's ''popularity'' and its ''legacy'' and usually common title of this series as the most iconic marvel cartoon ever done than actually caring about why this shows was so impactful in the first place.

Also the fact that it will be on disney plus and not Hulu says a lot. Why cant they just put it on Hulu like Legion, moslty when this is the first thing Disney has done with marvel that is not MCU.

This sure does now marks the beginning of the end of X-MEN that has always leaned more in the adult story telling camp. No matter how much you are a fan of something and have decided to let it go because circumstances are now different. you will never be fully prepared for the complete dumbing down of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    It is very misguided and a poor thought out concept for Disney to revive this show, despite the fact I have talked about this show a lot and its legacy. Disney may be making the same mistake as they did with Star Wars.

They are banking on the show's ''popularity'' and its ''legacy'' and usually common title of this series as the most iconic marvel cartoon ever done than actually caring about why this shows was so impactful in the first place.

Also the fact that it will be on disney plus and not Hulu says a lot. Why cant they just put it on Hulu like Legion, moslty when this is the first thing Disney has done with marvel that is not MCU.

This sure does now marks the beginning of the end of X-MEN that has always leaned more in the adult story telling camp. No matter how much you are a fan of something and have decided to let it go because circumstances are now different. you will never be fully prepared for the complete dumbing down of it.
    Probably because X-Men: The Animated Series was a kids show that could be enjoyed by people older as well. These properties aren't required to age with you. Either enjoy the fact that these children/all age series are still entertaining or move on to actual adult content. I really don't understand certain comic fan's obsession with wanting the media from their youth to age with them and not be accessible to the next generation of kids

Content like The Boys and Invincible are on Amazon if you want superhero media that is only aimed at adults. No need to force X-Men into that position as well

Considering the 90's X-Men wasn't even allowed to say the word death and used destroy instead while What If has killed characters off on screen some in violent ways tells me DisneyPlus will be more liberating than the old Fox Censors.

So the whole "adult" story telling argument seems silly to me.

Extraordinary Member

My biggest gripe is the cast. I liked the show often in spite of the cast rather than because of it. Wolverine, Rogue, Storm, and Beast are great, but Gambit, Cyclops, Jean, and Jubilee are either boring or obnoxious. Gambit and Jubilee especially need a serious updating to not feel like horribly dated 90s stereotypes. In some ways I think the show hurt the franchise by establishing these specific characters as 'THE X-Men' when the best X-Men stories were told before many of them were created, several of them are horribly dated. and there are much better characters that get ignored because they happened to have been taken off the team by 1992 or were created afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    My biggest gripe is the cast. I liked the show often in spite of the cast rather than because of it. Wolverine, Rogue, Storm, and Beast are great, but Gambit, Cyclops, Jean, and Jubilee are either boring or obnoxious. Gambit and Jubilee especially need a serious updating to not feel like horribly dated 90s stereotypes. In some ways I think the show hurt the franchise by establishing these specific characters as 'THE X-Men' when the best X-Men stories were told before many of them were created, several of them are horribly dated. and there are much better characters that get ignored because they happened to have been taken off the team by 1992 or were created afterwards.
    I agree with your assessment of the cast from that series. I think with new creatives, Scott and Jean can be used well. Gambit is still kinda cool even if he's a Cajun stereotype but Jubilee will be tough with how 90s she is. That said, if it's a continuation, it might still have a retro type feel so Jubilee will still fit well

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Considering the 90's X-Men wasn't even allowed to say the word death and used destroy instead while What If has killed characters off on screen some in violent ways tells me DisneyPlus will be more liberating than the old Fox Censors.

I saw What If, no where as compelling as the 90s classic cartoons of marvel. the stories in what if were very surface level and still very kid friendly, the animation of what if was not that great either compared to modern DC cartoons.

maybe some 90s cartoons were not allowed to say death and destroy but may I also point out that they were allowed to have many adult stories that MCU movies have not allowed. If you watch this video, you will see many of this kinds of ''adult'' stories dont pop in mcu movies and what if.

it is very easy to point that what if is not going to stand the test of time like this cartoon has, that disney feels they need to jump on the bandwaggon reboot it. when you watch What if, you can still still you are watching a cartoon cut in the traps and limitations of the Disney formula. X-MEN 92 never gives off that feeling, reason why it is so iconic in the first place. it broke many rules of what should be seen as a saturday morning cartoon reason I feel it is wrong for disney to try and reboot a cartoon with stories you dont spot in their own movies. Comparing What if to X-MEN 92 is like comparing Wandavsion to Legion. lol. This X-MEN tv would be better off on Hulu.

I saw What If, no where as compelling as the 90s classic cartoons of marvel. the stories in what if were very surface level and still very kid friendly, the animation of what if was not that great either compared to modern DC cartoons.

maybe some 90s cartoons were not allowed to say death and destroy but may I also point out that they were allowed to have many adult stories that MCU movies have not allowed. If you watch this video, you will see many of this kinds of ''adult'' stories dont pop in mcu movies and what if.

it is very easy to point that what if is not going to stand the test of time like this cartoon has, that disney feels they need to jump on the bandwaggon reboot it. when you watch What if, you can still still you are watching a cartoon cut in the traps and limitations of the Disney formula. X-MEN 92 never gives off that feeling, reason why it is so iconic in the first place. it broke many rules of what should be seen as a saturday morning cartoon reason I feel it is wrong for disney to try and reboot a cartoon with stories you dont spot in their own movies. Comparing What if to X-MEN 92 is like comparing Wandavsion to Legion. lol. This X-MEN tv would be better off on Hulu.
    I've been rewatching the show since this announcement as I have to completely disagree. That old X-Men cartoon was 10000% a kids show. It's writing is exactly like a Saturday morning cartoon aimed at children. Lets not revise history and act like it was an adult series. It was not even close. It could have easily been shown on Disney channel back then and would not have been out of place at all

Hell Disney movies are usually darker than the stuff in this old series. Hiro's brother getting blown up and Mufasa getting murdered while Simba cries over his body are both way more sinister than anything in this show

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post

I think my favourite instance of the 90s Marvel animation trying a bit too hard not to mention death was in Spider-Man when characters kept referring to Smythe's dad "disappearing" in an explosion. It's like, geez guys, Smythe may be mental, but he's an adult and you don't have to pretend his pet goldfish just went to another house.

Also, the story about Magneto's origin where they're absolutely skirting around not being able to mention the Nazis for the whole thing - Every kid single kid watching having already seen Nazis in the Indiana Jones films.

Still, Morbius's hand suckers they had instead of him biting people were legit nightmare fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I agree with your assessment of the cast from that series. I think with new creatives, Scott and Jean can be used well. Gambit is still kinda cool even if he's a Cajun stereotype but Jubilee will be tough with how 90s she is. That said, if it's a continuation, it might still have a retro type feel so Jubilee will still fit well
    Jubilee still works as a character just ditch the kid...oh wait she doesn't have a kid in this cartoon. So nothing is wrong with the character.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

Probably because X-Men: The Animated Series was a kids show that could be enjoyed by people older as well. These properties aren't required to age with you. Either enjoy the fact that these children/all age series are still entertaining or move on to actual adult content. I really don't understand certain comic fan's obsession with wanting the media from their youth to age with them and not be accessible to the next generation of kids

Content like The Boys and Invincible are on Amazon if you want superhero media that is only aimed at adults. No need to force X-Men into that position as well
    X-MEN as a kids show is more comparable to maybe harry potter , to kill a mocking bird, hunger games and the hobbit. On a good day, it has always done a good job between knowing how not to dumb a story down for kids, while making the story accessible to adults in a deeper way that Disney has yet to show with marvel. this is when x-men had cartoons in the past or stick to their pg 13 films. More importantly, this is also why Marvel stopped having good cartoons in the first place after Wolverine and the X-MEN and Spectacular Spiderman ended.

Even with a fair average attempt like What if. Marvel is and still famously known for having really bad cartoons after they were bought by Disney and the main reason to this is because the cartoons that Disney was producing forgot or ignored the adult stories of comics that was so important in the 90s cartoons.

I dont see how that wont apply here to xmen 97, it is going to be a disney cartoon and that means it is more likely to end up like Spiderman 2017 and GOTG 2015 Cartoon and these cartoons were awful even by 80s kids standard.

It is not like fans are obsessed, fans just want more because they know the comics has more to it. also fans have been reading comics for decades, so yeah, many of them are adults now and are going to want more stories in that lane.

To be fair, if you really want to do a proper xmen show where the brotherhood of mutants will be the main anti heroes or antagonists, you can end up with a series like The Boys, not to mention X-MEN Legion is in the same tv lane as the The Boys. So you cannot force x-men into a position that it already defined. Legion was a complete adult show and the best x-men show ever done.
    Last edited by Castle; 11-18-2021 at 10:03 AM.

Astonishing Member

X-MEN as a kids show is more comparable to maybe harry potter , to kill a mocking bird, hunger games and the hobbit. On a good day, it has always done a good job between knowing how not to dumb a story down for kids, while making the story accessible to adults in a deeper way that Disney has yet to show with marvel. this is when x-men had cartoons in the past or stick to their pg 13 films. More importantly, this is also why Marvel stopped having good cartoons in the first place after Wolverine and the X-MEN and Spectacular Spiderman ended.

Even with a fair average attempt like What if. Marvel is and still famously known for having really bad cartoons after they were bought by Disney and the main reason to this is because the cartoons that Disney was producing forgot or ignored the adult stories of comics that was so important in the 90s cartoons.

I dont see how that wont apply here to xmen 97, it is going to be a disney cartoon and that means it is more likely to end up like Spiderman 2017 and GOTG 2015 Cartoon and these cartoons were awful even by 80s kids standard.

It is not like fans are obsessed, fans just want more because they know the comics has more to it. also fans have been reading comics for decades, so yeah, many of them are adults now and are going to want more stories in that lane.

To be fair, if you really want to do a proper xmen show where the brotherhood of mutants will be the main anti heroes or antagonists, you can end up with a series like The Boys, not to mention X-MEN Legion is in the same tv lane as the The Boys. So you cannot force x-men into a position that it already defined. Legion was a complete adult show and the best x-men show ever done.
    You know I have been reading your posts for lord knows how long. Is there anything Marvel has done on TV or movies in the last 20 years besides Legion and a couple of X- men movies that you have actually liked?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post

X-MEN Evolution was the perfect updated cartoon after this series. I dont know why marvel continues to ingore x-men evolution is as much loved by fans. Ironically now I think of it, X-MEN Evolution was like the first What If kind of cartoon for marvel because it was so far off the comics unlike the 90s cartoon.

we would have been better off getting a X-MEN Evolution season 5 but what people never knew what that Warner Brothers made X-MEN evolution, reason the cartoon had less colours and the overall look of the cartoon was cleaner compared to X-Men 92. The Disney 97 updated version still looks kind of meh and as person who gets very worried because i know how Disney loves to use so many colors in their cartoons and movies, just to over do the kids thing, it is just still going to be weird seeing xmen become that.

I never like Gambit much in XMEN 92, I liked him best in Evolution. Also I noticed no Morph in the line up. which also makes me wonder if characters like Poetus, Danger and Legion will appear and if they do, Will they be more like what if party Thor?. Most likely.
    Last edited by Castle; 11-18-2021 at 10:35 AM.

Astonishing Member

I've gotta ask, what essential trait of Jubilee is so quintessentially '90s that she can't work today?

Honestly, I kind of hope they do better by way of Jubilee in the new show than in the old one. They kind of flattened out a lot of that character and just played her as the standard "innocent, naive kid". She didn't have her traditional "riches to rags" back story. And she certainly didn't have the mouth she did in the comics. I mean, Jubilee when written right is a wisecracker on the Spider-Man or Deadpool level (written badly, it just sounds like she's complaining all the time. But I digress).