Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Hey wait where’s Ned and MJ? He might not as be as close as them before they movies but they still went to school together

Quote Originally Posted by Tonga View Post
    On the far left looks to be a gender-bent Rhino, next to Chameleon might be Speed Demon but I'm just speculating, next to SD looks like Hammerhead but he doesn't have his usual mafia-looking suit so maybe it isn't him or he might be one of the enforcers. Apart from the ones you mentioned I have no idea who the other woman is.
    The one on the left looks like Unicorn, the Iron Man villain- but genderbent. Rhino is most definitely the guy on the right side, he's literally got the Romita face with the tiny eyes spread way apart.

The villains look kind of weird. Like they wanted to go comic-book-y but not too comic-book-y so they've got all these civvie looks.

Why does Scorpion need pants!?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The villains look kind of weird. Like they wanted to go comic-book-y but not too comic-book-y so they've got all these civvie looks.

Yeah, I thought just the same thing.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Excited for Nico, the show looks fun. While I cannot say for sure how well it will feel as a prequel to the MCU films, there certainly exist enough plot coupons in the Marvel universe to explain away any incongruities.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

They're in proto-outfits, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    They're in proto-outfits, obviously.
    I guess that would explain why Doc Ock doesn't have his arms.

Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

I find it very strange how they keep on advertising it as a prequel to MCU Spidey when it very obviously is not. And since it’s not, why couldn’t we have finally gotten a show with adult Spidey for a change? I think the character designs all look great but why try to emulate and retread ground with the MCU when we could have something original? Batman never has this problem of only having his adaptations take place in his early years, but Spidey has been stuck with this issue for the past decade. I was understanding of the Freshman year aspect when this was understood as a prequel, but now that it very obviously can’t be canon, I don’t understand why we keep going back to Highschool. I am happy they have more creative freedom from not being strictly connected to the MCU, but then why keep on retreading the same years every single Spidey adaptation of the last decade has done??

I'm so happy it's not tethering itself to the MCU. Obviously it's taking some inspiration in where it diverges with Osborn being the central role in his life, but that's what makes it so appealing to me as a good hook for a 'modern teenage Spidey.' That makes more sense for his corner of the world and invites many interesting opportunities to unfold down the line. Leo Romero's art direction is superb, I'd been hoping for a retro tinged Spidey cartoon for ages. This looks like it will celebrate the roots stylistically but also blend it with some modern sensibilities for audiences like with how a lot of the designs have a bit of practicality mixed in. They also said the golden words that they are big Spectacular fans and took inspiration from it. Doctor Strange looks very Ditko-esque, even the one pose he's doing on his model sheet is from a pinup. It's gonna be great to see Daredevil in a cartoon again. All the wider Marvel connections seem to make sense here so far, like it's things that don't feel too far fetched or feel appropriate bumping into Spidey.

I'm a lot more excited about this project than I was before thinking it would be in a box having to be limited in what it could do. The PR speak they're doing feels very much like dancing around saying what it is but stringing people along. Not everything needs to connect directly to the big thing to matter, I welcome different takes on the characters and I'm happy they're making things like this and the X-Men cartoon.

I feel like they're gonna be getting to do the full highschool years given that they also announced a season 2 called Sophomore Year. After this I'd like to see a cartoon where he's in college again, sure, but it's nice we're getting a proper classic solo Spidey cartoon again at all. Especially after the last decade of kinda mediocre cartoons that always felt lacking in one department or another. It's nice they're giving it an interesting spin with the Osborn connection, too. That's a good twist on the classic formula while also playing on the big mainstream MCU perception for folks.
    Last edited by Spidey_62; 07-22-2022 at 08:45 PM.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyspideyfan View Post
    I find it very strange how they keep on advertising it as a prequel to MCU Spidey when it very obviously is not. And since it’s not, why couldn’t we have finally gotten a show with adult Spidey for a change? I think the character designs all look great but why try to emulate and retread ground with the MCU when we could have something original? Batman never has this problem of only having his adaptations take place in his early years, but Spidey has been stuck with this issue for the past decade. I was understanding of the Freshman year aspect when this was understood as a prequel, but now that it very obviously can’t be canon, I don’t understand why we keep going back to Highschool. I am happy they have more creative freedom from not being strictly connected to the MCU, but then why keep on retreading the same years every single Spidey adaptation of the last decade has done??
    I think what may have happened is that initially it was supposed to take place in the first 6 months Peter was Spider-Man before Civil War, but they might've found it too restrictive and went to a different direction. The quotes and some of the design choices might've been remnants of that first draft.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Looks like Norman and Harry are black in this universe. Justifying the hairstyles at last
    Are we sure? Or is this a Superman the Animated series Luthor situation? Also is that Emily? If they did racebend Norman… that’s… odd. I loved it with Spectacular’s Kingsley as it gave him another difference from Norman (and really he was a minor character who only became bigger due to a retcon), but Norman is a major character…

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Are we sure? Or is this a Superman the Animated series Luthor situation?
    Oh Harry is very, very black

Are we sure? Or is this a Superman the Animated series Luthor situation? Also is that Emily? If they did racebend Norman… that’s… odd. I loved it with Spectacular’s Kingsley as it gave him another difference from Norman (and really he was a minor character who only became bigger due to a retcon), but Norman is a major character…

Apparently Marvel has been trying to recruit Esposito (guy from Breaking Bad and The Mandalorian), and I’d bet they’re trying to get him for Norman.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Who's Emily? The only Emily I can think of in Marvel Comics is the girl with the headphones from Strange Academy.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Who's Emily? The only Emily I can think of in Marvel Comics is the girl with the headphones from Strange Academy.
    Norman's wife. Harry's mother.