Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Yeah the problem is definitely the script, she's written like a socially awkward girl who doesn't know how to make friends, and it shows, so there's just no room for MJ's charm there, at least in Homecoming.

Maybe they decided that Michelle is definitely MJ now.

I would laugh if they decided to say her last name is Gonzales .

Yeah it's annoying when one character gets another's traits, it cheapens out both of them, since in this case, it removes the traits that made MJ a good love interest, and removes stuff from Gwen that could be used to develop her instead of making her "Scientist MJ" lol.

Guess that's the problem with Gwen being iconic for the wrong reasons, since fans like to talk like she was the love interest, and while in-universe she's treated as such, her character was really, really boring and definitely got martyrized.

While I find it to be pretty silly they didn't pick a redhead to play MJ, honestly, biggest problem with Michelle, at least in Homecoming, is how she's probably intentionally made to be MJ's opposite in some traits, 'cause while MJ is friendly with everyone, Michelle has no friends and is pretty rude, which makes me wonder why even say that's supposed to be MJ.

Fury became black in Ultimate and that version of him was pretty popular, and it's even because of Ultimate Fury that MCU had Samuel L. Jackson to play him to begin with.

Not to mention that Fury just isn't that high profile for overall audience to even know he got black washed, he was a B-lister at the very, very best lol.

Liz also got her skin color changed in Spectacular cartoon, so any possible complaints about that had already happened, but I doubt too many people cared.
    exactly Liz is a supporting character they wouldnt care. And like you said about Nick Fury I dont hear much about him besides the ultimate version. Gotta be a major character
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I don't, she has nothing in common with comic book MJ personality-wise. Maybe if we are talking the Ultimate version I could see that argument since she was a bit more nerdy, but not 616.

It's kind of ironic though that who Zendaya is in real life has much more in common with MJ than her character in the movies does.
    I think they were trying to have her too cool for anything and prickly demeanor in place of the party girl persona, but it doesn't have quite the same effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think they were trying to have her too cool for anything and prickly demeanor in place of the party girl persona, but it doesn't have quite the same effect.
    They tried to make her Lucy to Peter's Charlie Brown

Astonishing Member

Michelle Jones is a better character than Mary Jane. The two don't really have anything in common. It's disappointing that they don't seem to think Michelle's character can stand alone without the association.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Michelle Jones is a better character than Mary Jane. The two don't really have anything in common. It's disappointing that they don't seem to think Michelle's character can stand alone without the association.
    Dan Slott and the Gwen shippers ( especially those who prefer the dead for half a century Gwen ( as opposed to Emma Stone) would certainly agree Michelle is better: I do not.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Dan Slott and the Gwen shippers ( especially those who prefer the dead for half a century Gwen ( as opposed to Emma Stone) would certainly agree Michelle is better: I do not.
    Do you have a link to where Dan Slott said that, or is this something you're making up?

LOL. That's funny.

Astonishing Member

Do you have a link to where Dan Slott said that, or is this something you're making up?
    “I have no use for her” ( MJ) ( Dan Slott). Which is why she ended up in Iron Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    LOL. That's funny.
    Clearly, Michelle is the better character. I mean just look at her backstory and character development in those films. Mary Jane just can't compete with her 1 dimensional, outdated comic plot. They should just kill off Mary Jane at this point and replace her with Michelle, the whole Spider-Man mythos would be much better off for it. Heck, maybe Spider-Man could even get married again since he could actually be with a love interest that fans could get behind instead of with a love interest that drags the books down.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 11-15-2021 at 01:09 PM.

Well, it made her look like an asocial, friendless, rude chick instead lol.

Guess that fits with the "too cool for anything" types .

She was always intended to be a version of Mary Jane though, they just thought they'd be "cute" though and make a surprise out of it.
    Well, it made her look like an asocial, friendless, rude chick instead lol.

Guess that fits with the "too cool for anything" types .
    And then Peter goes from barely being aware of her to ga-ga off-screen .

The romance is very bad. To be fair, most MCU romances are very bad so why should this one be any different?

Seriously? Were the writers watching Young Justice and thought time skips are a good storytelling device? .

Seriously? Were the writers watching Young Justice and thought time skips are a good storytelling device? .
    Yes. That's seriously what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Yes. That's seriously what happens.
    I mean, it's kind of a conceit of the MCU that a lot of development happens off-screen between movies because the movie is only one slice of the characters' life, so we get stuff like relationship development (or fizzled out) off-screen, entire adventures off-screen, most of The Avengers' missions being off-screen, etc.

I guess that's part of the appeal of a cartoon like this that might fill in the gap even if it's set in a period that really doesn't seem like much happened in other than the base origin.