• Curly Dark Auburn Hair (violet eyes)

14 15.05%
  • Shorter Dark Brown Hair (blue eyes)

5 5.38%
  • Shorter Dark Brown Hair (violet eyes)

24 25.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Lois Lane's Preferred Look (poll)

Yes, most women change up their hair color and length all the time, but for the comic medium, characters usually stick with a certain look to be instantly recognizable. For Lois, which look do you prefer:

Old School straight black hair:
    250px-LoisLane-1.jpg

Mid-school (90's) dark auburn hair, slightly curled:
    90s Lois Lane.jpg

Current look with dark brown hair (usually short):
    Lois Lane brown.jpg

As for her eye color: violet or blue?

Amazing Member

i prefer black hair and violet eyes ..

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Oh. Easy. This one. Current look. Short.

411855._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

I don't know why I don't like Lois with long hair. A lot of her appearances have long hair, some pretty definitive too like the animated series and Margot Kidder but I don't really like those. Well, actually... I like the animated series, but somehow I don't like it in the comic as much.

I never actually notice the violet eyes, but I'm picking that anyway because there's already so many dark hair blue eye characters. I'm not opposed to brown either.

Astonishing Member

How about black hair, black eyes, and... black skin?

I feel like I'm contrary about change. I grew up on pre-Crisis comics, so it took me forever to get used to Lois with auburn hair but now I'm nostalgic for it. So I am fairly equally supporting long dark or auburn hair.
    And while the violet eyes are a retcon, they've become part of her signature look.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    Yes, most women change up their hair color and length all the time, but for the comic medium, characters usually stick with a certain look to be instantly recognizable. For Lois, which look do you prefer:

Old School straight black hair:
    "Old school"?

If you want to truly say "old school", let's go back to the original Action Comics #1 (June 1938)

And then there's the "John Byrne" version in the post-CoIE late 1980s:

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Looks like the violet eyes have it! Violet eyes are very uncommon though. It seems weird to give them to her in a comic that already pushes the boundary of weirdness.
    Assassinate Putin!

Gotta go with the short brown hair and purple eyes combo.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    "Old school"?

If you want to truly say "old school", let's go back to the original Action Comics #1 (June 1938)
    I prefer lois from max fleischer cartoons.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

I'm torn between the black and the auburn, but didn't know the eyes was an issue. I'm definitely used to the auburn.

Didn't like when Lois had really short hair, though.

Retired

What's the science behind purple eyes? I've never seen them myself, but supposedly Elizabeth Taylor had purple eyes? But how is that even possible with pigmentation? My understanding has always been there are only a few pigments, but the combination of them creates an illusion of eye colour. Blue is really an absence of pigment and the eyes appear blue because light is refracted back, giving an illusion of blue. So is purple just a very slight amount of pigment--not totally blue, but somewhat blue?

Likewise, there's no such thing as black hair. All hair has some colour--and the hair we call black is really dark brown. It absorbs so much light, that it appears black--but it can appear brown in the right light. And if you bleach black hair it will turn red (I used to have breakfast at a cafe above a beauty salon).

The reason Lois and other characters had blue eyes and blue highlights is because blue is one colour. So one printing plate. To make the blue a bit darker, they might use a magenta plate. Since printing errors often happened, the chances were better that it would work out with one plate of printing. Two plates of printing, you're doubling your chances of errors. Three plates of printing it's tripled. To be safe comics tried to limit the number of plates needed as much as possible. So Batman had purple (for grey), using only two plates (in the 1970s they took the chance of using three plates to create something that appeared more grey). Brown was risky, because it needed three colour plates (cyan, magenta and yellow).

Long dark hair and purple eyes, bar none.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    "Old school"?

For me it's either Joe Shuster

or Kurt Schaffenberger

or Bob Oksner

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    What's the science behind purple eyes? I've never seen them myself, but supposedly Elizabeth Taylor had purple eyes? But how is that even possible with pigmentation? My understanding has always been there are only a few pigments, but the combination of them creates an illusion of eye colour. Blue is really an absence of pigment and the eyes appear blue because light is refracted back, giving an illusion of blue. So is purple just a very slight amount of pigment--not totally blue, but somewhat blue?

Likewise, there's no such thing as black hair. All hair has some colour--and the hair we call black is really dark brown. It absorbs so much light, that it appears black--but it can appear brown in the right light. And if you bleach black hair it will turn red (I used to have breakfast at a cafe above a beauty salon).

The reason Lois and other characters had blue eyes and blue highlights is because blue is one colour. So one printing plate. To make the blue a bit darker, they might use a magenta plate. Since printing errors often happened, the chances were better that it would work out with one plate of printing. Two plates of printing, you're doubling your chances of errors. Three plates of printing it's tripled. To be safe comics tried to limit the number of plates needed as much as possible. So Batman had purple (for grey), using only two plates (in the 1970s they took the chance of using three plates to create something that appeared more grey). Brown was risky, because it needed three colour plates (cyan, magenta and yellow).
    I think your right but I'm not sure on the science. W E. Taylor, she did have deep blue eyes that seemed purplish in certain light conditions.
    As for black hair, some women I know either color dark brown hair black or dye it a lighter shade of brown with more pronounced highlights.
    But I was thinking more like:
    catherine zeta jones.jpgzhang ziyi.jpg

VS.

Terri Hathcher.jpg her hair looks dark here but it direct sunlight it has a rich chestnut brown hue.
    Speaking of Terri, she's still the best live action Lori Lane -- hair and all. Even though I voted for the "black hair/violet eyes" combo.

Straight, long black hair, and violet eyes. TBH the eyes aren't really that big a deal to me, I don't consider the purple thing that big of a deal, but it is striking. The hair though I'm particularly picky with.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El