Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Was X3’s stereotypical take on dissociative identity disorder controversial?

I was reading the Wikipedia page of the 2000 Fox film "Me, Myself, & Irene" and found out that there was huge controversy over how the movie portrays dissociative identity disorder (aka multiple personality disorder). Spreading misinformation and playing on inaccurate stereotypes about the disorder, such as the idea that alternate personalities are inherently violent. M. Night Shyamalan’s Split/Glass faced similar criticisms.

For context on why this is problematic:

Myth: People with dissociative identity disorder are violent.

Fact: People with dissociative identity disorder are no more violent than the general population.

While the idea of dissociative identity disorder violent alters has frequently been the premise of horror movies, it is not supported by what is known about dissociative identity disorder. There is no link between increased criminal activity and dissociative identity disorder. The false belief that people dissociative identity disorder are violent is dangerous as it causes unnecessary fear further stigmatizing and isolating people who have a serious mental illness.

Not only are people with dissociative identity disorder no more likely to be violent than other people, but they are also more likely to be the victims of violence. Dissociative identity disorder has been traced to childhood trauma. Individuals with this disorder are more likely to be re-traumatized and experience abuse from multiple people throughout their lives.
    Myth: It is widely understood that the portrayal of dissociative identity disorder in movies and TV is sensationalized.

Fact: The image of dissociative identity disorder in the media has created confusion regarding the symptoms of this disorder.

Dissociative identity disorder movies, such as 2017’s “Split,” may get some aspects of the disorder correct, but tend to get the majority wrong. Dissociative identity disorder symptoms are exaggerated in the media and in many cases, the symptoms shown are entirely fictional. Many people assume that the symptoms shown on TV and in the movies have at least have some basis in reality. Even if a person takes media’s portrayal with a grain of salt and assumes symptoms are exaggerated, they may still believe many falsehoods about the condition to be true. Switching between states usually does not occur as frequently or dramatically as is portrayed by media; in most cases, states subtly and covertly shift.

An additional problem with the media portrayal of dissociative identity disorder is the stigma it creates. The negative stereotypes of the disorder perpetuated by TV and movies may discourage people living with the condition from getting help.
    https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/m...ted/did-myths/

X-Men: The Last Stand was another Fox film released 2006. Despite the controversy the studio faced six years prior with Me, Myself, & Irene they still produced a film that perpetuated this stereotypical myth about DID. I mean, Xavier literally says that Jean developed a dual personality and that automatically made her homicidal. To the point that she wants to kill her loved ones unprovoked.

So was there similar controversy? The mentally ill are a marginalized group and the X-Men franchise is suppose to be an allegory for such people. Even the original Dark Phoenix Saga is about mental health issues such as trauma and drug addiction at its core. But The Last Stand instead demonizes a marginalized group. However, I don’t think I have seen people criticize this aspect of the film other then complaining that the Phoenix was not a cosmic entity.
    Last edited by Gnostic; 11-15-2021 at 12:22 PM.