Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Are you okay with venom being his own franchise

Basically a question I have to ask since venom become an anti hero and good guy years after his debut people seem to enjoy this change but others felt it wasted one of spider-man’s good villains and being the evil doppelgänger so they had carnage fill in the role of evil symbiote villain. Now we reach to current times venom as a franchise now independent from spider-man. What are your thoughts?

Mighty Member

I’m pretty okay with it. A lot of franchises are offshoots of other franchises, and while Venom’s origins are tied to Spider-man, that doesn’t mean you can’t branch off from him.
    I would like the Venom DNA to still be partnered with Spider-man still, for them to have team-ups and for Venom to be buddy-buddy with Spider-man. But otherwise I’m pretty okay to have Venom about. Especially if the comics are going to be better than Spider-man’s.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

If a character grows popular enough that they can support their own stand alone franchise opposed to just being a component of someone else's, good for them. I don't see the problem.

I'm happier about it after we had some good projects as a result (the Donny Cates/ Stegman Venom run; the movie with Carnage.)

It does result in a bit of a mess when a nastier than usual bad guy becomes one of the good guys, although it fits into a message of redemption within the Spider-Man comics.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It does result in a bit of a mess when a nastier than usual bad guy becomes one of the good guys, although it fits into a message of redemption within the Spider-Man comics.
    That happens a lot in comic books anyways whenever a villain changes sides, or hell, a hero becomes a villain temporarily, just ask Stark, or Reed, or Spidey himself if we wanna talk about Maximum Clonage.

Anyways, Venom becoming something independent from Spidey is fine, while I really liked him as a villain (He certainly did the "He knows Spider-Man's secret identity and can attack at any time" far better than Norman ever did), he's alright on his own too, although I wonder how long the "King in Black" thing will last, like, will it become his status quo for a while, or will he eventually stay on Earth?

He's probably still going to fight Spider-Man in adaptions (unless we keep getting MCU cartoons) so it's not really that big a deal to me.

Not really, but then I don't bother reading his comics or watch his movies, so it's not a big deal until the books I DO read get sucked into some ridiculous Venom-centric event like that recent "King in Black" nonsense.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Astonishing Member

To quote Tommy Lee Jones’ character in ‘The Fugitive’ “I don’t care.”

I enjoyed Agent Venom much more than I thought I would and read the majority of that series. But I’ve been bored of Eddie for decades. I have no problem with him having his own universe of stories and characters though.

I dont mind it at all. I enjoy when someone becomes big enough to branch out. And I have enjoyed some of the Venom comics I have read. But I do kiss Mac as Venom. He seemed more evil, more dangerous! Give me a series based on that!

And as far as the movies go. i thought the movies did a good job of having Venom in a Spidey Free world. I hated the idea when I first heard about it. but they did it well.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I'm fine with the decision. It worked for The Punisher, so it should definitely work for Brock's Venom (XD)

Last edited by K7P5V; 11-15-2021 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

It's not so much Venom spinning off as symbiotes being kind of a drag. I enjoyed some Venom comics and it's okay for a character to move past their original conception (we serial media readers keep asking for such things) but I don't much like the constant retcons and "everyone gets a symbiote" gimmicks.

Also, Carnage is too bleak and gory for the sake of it.
    Last edited by Webhead; 11-16-2021 at 04:36 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    It's not so much Venom spinning off as symbiotes being kind of a drag. I enjoyed some Venom comics and it's okay for a character to move past their original conception (we serial media readers keep asking for such things) but I don't much like the constant retcons and "everyone gets a symbiote" gimmicks.

Also, Carnage is too bleak and gory for the sake of it.
    All of this, nailed it on the head

I like where his character is now he isnt just a spiderman villain anymore. I know thats probably the character is at his best but he cant spent his whole life getting his ass kicked by spiderman. Time for these villains to move on or retire
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Definitely, Venom as a Spider-man villain had a shelf life and I think David Michelinie realised that really quickly. He's better off bouncing around doing his own thing and occasionally being brought back into the fold.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'm totally ok with Venom growing beyond Spider-man.
    As another noted, Punisher did it. Come to think of it both characters branched hard in the 90s and really only long time fans even know Frank Castle got his start in Spiderman books before branching out to Daredevil and other places.

I think she is years from being there but so far the last few years has seen a strong push by Black Cat finally. Felicia may be able to say something similar one year.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime