Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    Mandarin depiction in comics was all over the places, even more so than other "yellow peril" villains, to the point that you could be wrong and correct at same time. And Shang chi....his most recent pre-movie appearance were more in tone with the movie.
    Yeah, how many times has Mandarin been reinvented?

That said, I don't recall him ever being immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    And Shang chi....his most recent pre-movie appearance were more in tone with the movie.
    Which was a gigantic departure from any version of him and seemed pretty clear that the writer didn’t know who he was and probably just skimmed the Wikis.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, how many times has Mandarin been reinvented?
    The armored version from the teenage Iron Man show was great and it would have been great if the MCU had utilized him like that but as an adult in a story with Tony Stark instead of pulling what they did with Kingsley.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Which was a gigantic departure from any version of him and seemed pretty clear that the writer didn’t know who he was and probably just skimmed the Wikis.
    I think it was a good thing there was somewhat of a departure from Shang-Chi's previous depictions. Reading those old MOKF comics, I'm noticing that Shang didn't have much of a personality. Yes, he has his moments, but for the most part he's very much the narrator for many of those stories while Clive Reston, Blackjack Tarr, or Leiko Wu have their storylines around him. After the Moench series ended, Shang seemed to fall into some "fortune cookie/Kwai Chang Caine" tropes in his guest appearances. Again, the character was still respected and he could be very contemplative, which isn't so bad. But using the "wise words" made him a little "noble savage."

Hence why I like his more recent appearances in the new Shang-Chi title. He has more personality. He can laugh and crack jokes. He enjoys a good night of karaoke. Yet, he still has that dignified ease, yet ever present doubt regarding him and his father. Indeed, that's what I saw in the movie.

Bringing it all back, I'm reserving judgment on the new Iron Fist. I've said in the past that I'd still support Danny Rand as the character. I still believe that Danny's explicit respect and heroism for all people means more than implicit messages of superiority. Yet I also have to say that over the years, with all of the discussions and noise surrounding the character, I couldn't ignore the problems. They were getting to me. That, plus the lack of direction that writers were giving to Danny.

At times, I have bristled at the thought that Danny would have to give up being Iron Fist. Danny Rand was Iron Fist. But thinking it over, in this age where comic book identities can be taken over by more than one individual, where Dan Garrett, Ted Kord, and eventually Jaime Reyes can be Blue Beetle, and how the Iron Fist title itself can be passed on, alright, a new individual can be Iron Fist. Ideally though, I'd like both to coexist. In the X-titles, I see how Kwannon and Psylocke are now two separate identities. Maybe there can be something with Danny Rand and Iron Fist. And again, Danny can take up the title again. Maybe when all grievances are passed, when we don't have to argue about persecuted or privileged, and we start to see characters as characters.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

I hate how so many characters have been turned into mantles because creators wish to leave their marks but are too lazy to put the work into it. It’s fine when it’s a character tied to a distant era and hasn’t been in the picture, but not with characters who have moved with the sliding timescale.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 11-27-2021 at 04:51 PM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Ultimate Member

I remember that, back in the day, part of what made Danny different was that he was a martial artist who WASN'T Asian.

Marvel should take a page from DC, and make their main martial artists more diverse. Martial arts are practiced all over the world by millions. They should do more to reflect that.

Besides, Shang Chi how many Asian characters who did martial arts were headlining their own title?

Astonishing Member

I hate how so many characters have been turned into mantles because creators wish to leave their marks but are too lazy to the work into it. It’s fine when it’s a character tied to a distant era and hasn’t been in the picture, but not with characters who have moved with the sliding timescale.
    I totally get this

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I remember that, back in the day, part of what made Danny different was that he was a martial artist who WASN'T Asian.

Marvel should take a page from DC, and make their main martial artists more diverse. Martial arts are practiced all over the world by millions. They should do more to reflect that.
    Can you please expand on this point?

I thought Marvel had one of the most diverse casts when it comes to the martial arts, especially the Eastern philosophy of martial arts. I mean Daredevil is of Irish descent, Elektra is Greek, Wolverine is Canadian, the Sons of the Tiger had an African American and a Latinx, Psylocke is British, Blade was pretty much revamped to do martial arts thanks to the movie, and so on and so forth. Pretty much everyone who knows how to fight is credited with some type of Eastern martial arts mastery. While I get that no one remembers the Sons of the Tiger, most of the others are some of Marvel's top characters. And there a bunch more fairly popular ones -- like Captain America, Black Widow, and Moondragon -- that I intentionally left off, or we'd be here all week listing all of the non-Asian Marvel characters who have some form of martial arts mastery.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding your point? If so, please pardon me -- and feel free to clarify. Thanks.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post

I thought Marvel had one of the most diverse casts when it comes to the martial arts, especially the Eastern philosophy of martial arts. I mean Daredevil is of Irish descent, Elektra is Greek, Wolverine is Canadian, the Sons of the Tiger had an African American and a Latinx, Psylocke is British, Blade was pretty much revamped to do martial arts thanks to the movie, and so on and so forth. Pretty much everyone who knows how to fight is credited with some type of Eastern martial arts mastery. While I get that no one remembers the Sons of the Tiger, most of the others are some of Marvel's top characters. And there a bunch more fairly popular ones -- like Captain America, Black Widow, and Moondragon -- that I intentionally left off, or we'd be here all week listing all of the non-Asian Marvel characters who have some form of martial arts mastery.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding your point? If so, please pardon me -- and feel free to clarify. Thanks.
    With most of those guys, they're not really martial artists so much as guys (or gals) who happen to know martial arts. Wolverine just gets shot, Blade is more a horror character than martial artists, etc.

The characters who focus largely on martial arts are few and far between. Hell, bad ass normals (or abnormals) are few and far between in Marvel.

Their top martial artists are more diverse with Bronze Tiger, Connor Hawke while Richard Dragon's series actually focused on different forms of martial arts

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post

All the characters mentioned above have other identities to define and distinguish them before starting to think of their fighting style. (except for Son of the Tiger I'm not that familiar with the character)
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    All the characters mentioned above have other identities to define and distinguish them before starting to think of their fighting style. (except for Son of the Tiger I'm not that familiar with the character)
    I think he's refering to the White Tigers
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

He's referring to the Sons of the Tiger, three people who operated as a team and each wore one of three tiger amulets. They looked to be based very loosely on the three leads from Enter the Dragon. The three amulets worn together turned Hector Ayala into the White Tiger.

I hate how so many characters have been turned into mantles because creators wish to leave their marks but are too lazy to the work into it. It’s fine when it’s a character tied to a distant era and hasn’t been in the picture, but not with characters who have moved with the sliding timescale.
    I agree with you 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    He's referring to the Sons of the Tiger, three people who operated as a team and each wore one of three tiger amulets. They looked to be based very loosely on the three leads from Enter the Dragon. The three amulets worn together turned Hector Ayala into the White Tiger.
    Ah ok, I never knew that.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

They ain't even tryna hide it anymore.