Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default ‘new’ Iron Fist. Why???

I like Danny Rand. I like Danny as Iron Fist. I don’t see why they are sacrificing his role just to make an ethnic correction.

First, is Marvel saying white people can’t have martial arts skill? Is it racist that they believe all martial art lead characters should be Asian?

I would rather they developed an ALL NEW original character If they wanted more Asian representation.

I feel like Marvel is promoting an Asian stereotype.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

It's less about the martial arts aspect of the character and more like the cultural background of the Iron Fist. I'm not personally a fan of the character so I don't care either way, but it's probably a good solution until Danny becomes a 'different' version of the Iron Fist.

Invincible Member

This is just temporary. We've seen this play out multiple times in just the last several years alone. It's not worth getting upset over. Danny isn't going anywhere.

Extraordinary Member

Because legacy characters are all the rage and even though we all know they won't last and the OG's will be back they'll take the minor sales boost instead of writing a good comic....

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    I like Danny Rand. I like Danny as Iron Fist. I don’t see why they are sacrificing his role just to make an ethnic correction.

First, is Marvel saying white people can’t have martial arts skill? Is it racist that they believe all martial art lead characters should be Asian?

I would rather they developed an ALL NEW original character If they wanted more Asian representation.

I feel like Marvel is promoting an Asian stereotype.
    Oddly enough, wasn't the guy who's assuming the mantle an original character?

BANNED

Cuz the old one is trash in Marvel's opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Oddly enough, wasn't the guy who's assuming the mantle an original character?
    It seems like its going to be an existing character switching their ID to Iron Fist.

Niffleheim

Honestly in the long run this will work better for Danny if the IP balanced out the optics by having the Iron Fist mantle being led by an Asian characters then having them all team-up
    Last edited by Tofali; 11-16-2021 at 03:49 AM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

I don't have a horse in this race, but its probably for whats more convenient for the movies. I'm guess theres a decent chance they'll introduce an iron fist in a future shang-chi movie. And they'll probably want keep to the trend of a mostly asian cast.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 11-16-2021 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    It seems like its going to be an existing character switching their ID to Iron Fist.
    Yeah, but when he started out, nobody heard of him.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I thought the whole point of the Iron Fist was for there always to be a line of succession -- meaning Rand wasn't the first Iron Fist, nor will he be the last. Is that not the case?

Honestly, after watching the Shang Chi & the 10 rings movie, I honestly thought Marvel missed an opportunity. They should have made Shang Chi the Iron Fist of the MCU. I wasn't a fan of the Mandarin replacing Fu Manchu as Shang's father. But if they were going to do that, they might as well let the Great Protector dragon be a guise of Shou-Lao the Undying and give Shang and/or his sister (speaking of which, what happened to M'Nai, Shang's brother???) the powers of the IF. But whatever.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I thought the whole point of the Iron Fist was for there always to be a line of succession -- meaning Rand wasn't the first Iron Fist, nor will he be the last. Is that not the case?

Honestly, after watching the Shang Chi & the 10 rings movie, I honestly thought Marvel missed an opportunity. They should have made Shang Chi the Iron Fist of the MCU. I wasn't a fan of the Mandarin replacing Fu Manchu as Shang's father. But if they were going to do that, they might as well let the Great Protector dragon be a guise of Shou-Lao the Undying and give Shang and/or his sister (speaking of which, what happened to M'Nai, Shang's brother???) the powers of the IF. But whatever.
    The bolded is correct.

Danny Rand isn't the first Iron Fist but the latest in a long line of them. I suspect that was Fraction trying to address the cultural issues around the Iron Fist.

To be clear, the cultural issues around Iron Fist being a white man isn't new...at all. https://bleedingcool.com/comics/comp...agonists-1974/. It's not a product of "modern day thinking", it's always been there. We have to keep it 100 around these issues or else we lose perspective.

I suspect the young man is the latest in the Iron Fist line. Him being Asian is also a good thing because when Marvel want to produce an Iron Fist movie or tv show, it avoids the racial complaints around the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The bolded is correct.

Danny Rand isn't the first Iron Fist but the latest in a long line of them. I suspect that was Fraction trying to address the cultural issues around the Iron Fist.

To be clear, the cultural issues around Iron Fist being a white man isn't new...at all. https://bleedingcool.com/comics/comp...agonists-1974/. It's not a product of "modern day thinking", it's always been there. We have to keep it 100 around these issues or else we lose perspective.

I suspect the young man is the latest in the Iron Fist line. Him being Asian is also a good thing because when Marvel want to produce an Iron Fist movie or tv show, it avoids the racial complaints around the character.
    Ugh....bleeding cool. Can you summarize it? I refuse to give Rich Johnson any traffic.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The bolded is correct.

Thanks!

And yes, sadly, most people today act like this is all a fad or media hype. The truth is that there have always been "woke" Americans concerned about cultural representation, diversity and inclusiveness, etc., before the present age. Somehow people today think the struggle was a one day thing, not something that has been going on for centuries and embodied by several faces and voices of every ethnicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Ugh....bleeding cool. Can you summarize it? I refuse to give Rich Johnson any traffic.
    A snippet of the letter written by author William F. Wu in 1974 ...
    Attached Images Attached Images